The Official High School Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official High School Football Thread

We need a thread for general posts about high school football. I will admit that I am kind of a junkie. Here goes.

HS playoffs started in Utah on Friday. Amazing play at the very end of the Olympus vs. Springville game. Both teams went back and forth and the score was tied with two seconds left and Olympus had the ball and it was too far for a FG so they tried a trick play. Rumor has it that it even made the EPSN top ten list.

There are several angles. This one is shaky but pretty good:

Story on KSL (with more video):

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=2747...nning-trickery
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

What an awesome play!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

My kids go to Bingham. My teenage daughters aren't big football fans but have been going to the Bingham games this season with their friends. They are now starting to like football a bit more. The other day at a BYU game my 16 year old daughter asked me what a first down was. What father wouldn't relish the opportunity to explain football to his 16 year old daughter? A great bonding experience for me.

So far Bingham has has rolled through everyone this year (well, Alta provided a scare). It will be absolutely shocking if anyone beats them in the playoffs. I would really like to see Bingham play East (my alma mater). East is averaging 50 points per game - crazy. The upset of the playoffs though has got to be PG over Davis. LOL at Davis - their first loss of the year is at home in the first round of the playoffs. East and Davis used to be in the same region back in the old days so I've always disliked Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        My kids go to Bingham. My teenage daughters aren't big football fans but have been going to the Bingham games this season with their friends. They are now starting to like football a bit more. The other day at a BYU game my 16 year old daughter asked me what a first down was. What father wouldn't relish the opportunity to explain football to his 16 year old daughter? A great bonding experience for me.

So far Bingham has has rolled through everyone this year (well, Alta provided a scare). It will be absolutely shocking if anyone beats them in the playoffs. I would really like to see Bingham play East (my alma mater). East is averaging 50 points per game - crazy. The upset of the playoffs though has got to be PG over Davis. LOL at Davis - their first loss of the year is at home in the first round of the playoffs. East and Davis used to be in the same region back in the old days so I've always disliked Davis.
        Dave Peck has to be considered the best coach in the state, right? I wouldn't have even considered this among his most talented teams and like you said they are steamrolling teams. Impressive how he can have a top team every year, with what has to be very minimal recruiting - if any.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Quit stalking teenagers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
          *Banned*

Comment

Riley Nelson's younger brother, Chase Nelson, has been tearing it up at Logan HS this year. He has been putting up video game numbers in both passing and running and is on target to shatter lots of records. However, last week in the second quarter of a first round playoff game he kicked a defender who had just tackled him. Two refs simultaneously threw a flag and he was tossed from the game. Logan was able to win, but it was a very close game. Rumor has it that after the game, Riley Nelson (who is an assistant coach at Logan this year) lost it and had to be restrained from going after the refs.

Well it turns out that by rule, Chase will be forced to sit out the entire quarterfinal game this week. Logan will be playing Olympus, the same team that ran the trick play to beat Springville shown in the OP of this thread. I was hoping to see a Logan vs. East matchup in the semifinal game, but maybe that won't happen now. Details here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...arterback.html
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              What an awesome play!
              Their celebration seemed remarkably subdued given the situation.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Riley Nelson's younger brother, Chase Nelson, has been tearing it up at Logan HS this year. He has been putting up video game numbers in both passing and running and is on target to shatter lots of records. However, last week in the second quarter of a first round playoff game he kicked a defender who had just tackled him. Two refs simultaneously threw a flag and he was tossed from the game. Logan was able to win, but it was a very close game. Rumor has it that after the game, Riley Nelson (who is an assistant coach at Logan this year) lost it and had to be restrained from going after the refs.

Well it turns out that by rule, Chase will be forced to sit out the entire quarterfinal game this week. Logan will be playing Olympus, the same team that ran the trick play to beat Springville shown in the OP of this thread. I was hoping to see a Logan vs. East matchup in the semifinal game, but maybe that won't happen now. Details here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...arterback.html
                I'd be interested to see video of the kick. Their description of his leg locking up and then extending is interesting, and I would think it would be pretty obvious.

That aside - if he's really injured to the degree described then he may not be available to play the game either way.

Comment

We need to close our borders. Where is Romney when you need him!

Bryan Mone DT from Highland who has committed to Michigan
                  50 tackles 5.5 sacks

Ula Tolutau running back from East who has committed to Wisconsin
                  128 carries 1813 yards and 27 tds, a 14.16 ypc

Dalton Schultz tight end from Bingham that is most likely headed to Stanford
                  24 receptions 383 tds and 8 touchdowns

Sam Bennion DE from Logan, committed to Colorado
                  48 tackles, 5.5 sacks

Austen Kafentzis QB from Jordan committed to Wisconsin
                  154-309 49%, 2479 yards, 18tds and 19 ints
                  215 carries 1593 yards and 23 tds 7.16 ypc
                  He has had a down year, however his career numbers are:
                  556-969 57% 8,520 yards, 73tds and 28 ints
                  646 carries 4,659 yards and 68 tds.
                  He is also only a junior.

Christian Shaver a defensive end from Jordan that has committed to Colorado
                  48 tackles, 4.5 sacks

A few BYU recruits:

Isaiah Nacua a defensive end that plays for Timpview

50 tackles and 15 sacks (lets hope we can get him back)

Gabe Reid another Timpview player and the son of Spencer Reid
                  60 tackles 13.5 sacks

Devin Kaufusi as you can guess he plays for Timpview (committed to BYU)
                  31 tackles 4 sacks

Pio Stowers again a Timpview kid
                  59 tackles, 3 sacks and 6 ints

Kavika Fonua Safety from Syracuse (committed to BYU)
                  58 tackles, 1 int
                  98 carries for 668 yards and 13 tds

Zac Dawe a defensive tackle from Pleasant grove (committed to BYU)
                  34 tackles and 7 sacks

Dayan Lake a junior corner from Northridge (4 star recruit, committed to BYU)
                  125 carries 694 yards and 5 tds (5.6 per carry)
                  60 receptions 722 yards 4 tds
                  58 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Dayan Lake a junior corner from Northridge (4 star recruit, committed to BYU)
                    125 carries 694 yards and 5 tds (5.6 per carry)
                    60 receptions 722 yards 4 tds
                    58 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int
                    Someone on the radio mentioned the other day that if Lake were already at BYU he would be starting at corner.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      We need to close our borders. Where is Romney when you need him!

Sam Bennion DE from Logan, committed to Colorado
                      48 tackles, 5.5 sacks

Christian Shaver a defensive end from Jordan that has committed to Colorado
                      48 tackles, 4.5 sacks
                      Colorado? Did BYU or Utah want either of those two?

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        Colorado? Did BYU or Utah want either of those two?
                        I can't speak on Bennion as I have never heard of him, but Shaver was not offered by Utah(and they really didn't pursue him much at all)
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          I'd be interested to see video of the kick. Their description of his leg locking up and then extending is interesting, and I would think it would be pretty obvious.

That aside - if he's really injured to the degree described then he may not be available to play the game either way.
                          Yeah, I would like to see it too. I found it kind of odd that they have a policy that these decisions cannot be appealed. They certainly allowed massive appeals by East HS last year.

Comment

Yeah, I would like to see it too. I found it kind of odd that they have a policy that these decisions cannot be appealed. They certainly allowed massive appeals by East HS last year.
                            A lack of appeal process is strange. You would think if they weren't going to allow for appeal, they would at least tell the kid/school that the case is being reviewed and anything that they want to have considered as part of that review needs to be submitted prior to the review.

Comment

I was listening to the HS report on Friday. When they mentioned the penalty / suspension they indicated it would be appealed. As you noted this is an infraction that can't be overturned. I didn't see the play but it has been reported that he was tackled late in the end zone and that the defender wouldn't let go. Re: East. Maybe they should try the "these kids have been through enough" angle.
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Working...
                              X