2014 MLB season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    That's "Sex-addicted Chicken Man" to you!
    If we are going to get technical, it is "Sex-addicted to ugly chick Chicken Man" to me.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Tigers trade Rick Porcello for Cespedes.

Until this last year porcello has been high potential, low production. But he was very good in 2014. He was scheduled to be a FA in 2015, so the Tigers flipped him to Boston for Cespedes. Cespedes is a little cheaper, and fills an open outfield spot for the Tigers. Not sure how I feel about Cespedes. He's charitably described as an enigma, but when he got traded away from Oakland, the A's collapsed. So he has that going for him.

The Tigers just traded for Alfredo Simon from the Reds, essentially replacing Porcello. Rotation now looks like:

Justin Verlander
      David Price
      Anibal Sanchez
      Shane Greene
      Alfredo Simon

Looks like the Tigers are resigned to Max Scherzer walking away. The rotation will miss Max, but will still be solid, especially if Verlander finally gets healthy. Lineup right now is:

Rajai Davis CF
      Gabe Kinsler 2B
      Miggy Cabs 1B
      V-Mart DH
      Cespedes LF
      JD Martinez RF
      Alex Castellanos 3B
      Jose Iglesias SS
      Alex Avila C

The White Sox will be better, but I think KC takes a step backwards. Tigers still looking to win the Central I think/hope.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        Tigers trade Rick Porcello for Cespedes.

Until this last year porcello has been high potential, low production. But he was very good in 2014. He was scheduled to be a FA in 2015, so the Tigers flipped him to Boston for Cespedes. Cespedes is a little cheaper, and fills an open outfield spot for the Tigers. Not sure how I feel about Cespedes. He's charitably described as an enigma, but when he got traded away from Oakland, the A's collapsed. So he has that going for him.

The Tigers just traded for Alfredo Simon from the Reds, essentially replacing Porcello. Rotation now looks like:

Justin Verlander
        David Price
        Anibal Sanchez
        Shane Greene
        Alfredo Simon

Looks like the Tigers are resigned to Max Scherzer walking away. The rotation will miss Max, but will still be solid, especially if Verlander finally gets healthy. Lineup right now is:

Rajai Davis CF
        Gabe Kinsler 2B
        Miggy Cabs 1B
        V-Mart DH
        Cespedes LF
        JD Martinez RF
        Alex Castellanos 3B
        Jose Iglesias SS
        Alex Avila C

The White Sox will be better, but I think KC takes a step backwards. Tigers still looking to win the Central I think/hope.
        A's collapse had nothing to do with the Cespedes trade. With Cespedes you will be getting a terrible defender and a good offensive player. The 2 will even out and you will basically have a better than replacement level outfielder.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          A's collapse had nothing to do with the Cespedes trade.
          Except for the fact that the A's much vaunted run production (by you, no less) dropped by a run after the Cespedes trade. Oh, and they lost a bunch of games after he left. Don't forget about that.

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          With Cespedes you will be getting a terrible defender and a good offensive player. The 2 will even out and you will basically have a better than replacement level outfielder.
          I think this is about right. Good bat, poor glove. He's a born Tiger and will fit in nicely.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Except for the fact that the A's much vaunted run production (by you, no less) dropped by a run after the Cespedes trade. Oh, and they lost a bunch of games after he left. Don't forget about that.
            Jonah Keri already debunked this myth.
            http://grantland.com/the-triangle/oa...spedes-factor/
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Tigers trade Rick Porcello for Cespedes.

Justin Verlander
              David Price
              Anibal Sanchez
              Shane Greene
              Alfredo Simon

Rajai Davis CF
              Gabe Kinsler 2B
              Miggy Cabs 1B
              V-Mart DH
              Cespedes LF
              JD Martinez RF
              Alex Castellanos 3B
              Jose Iglesias SS
              Alex Avila C

KC signed morales for 2 years $17m. wtf that guy was absolutely abysmal last year.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Jonah Keri already debunked this myth.
                http://grantland.com/the-triangle/oa...spedes-factor/
                Not quite: Keri admits that losing Cespedes hurts, but also says the A's other players crapped the bed. I think we can all agree on that.

Nowhere did he say that losing Cespedes didn't matter or had no significant effect.

So with that in mind, I will keep talking about Cespedes as an A killer, if for no other reason than to give you a hard time. It hasn't been a good offseason for the A's by the way.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  KC signed morales for 2 years $17m. wtf that guy was absolutely abysmal last year.
                  Gotta love basball contracts.

For the life of me, I don't know why every left handed kid in America isn't practicing pitching right now. Throw a lefty 85 with a breaking pitch? Here's 4 years 30 million to sit in the bullpen.

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    The Sox's lineup is bolstering up. Still worried about their pitching though. I know a lot of fans thought Lester would be coming back, but the Sox are inching closer to the luxury tax. Unless Henry doesn't care about the tax and wants to pony up, I still think Lester won't be coming back. Which makes me sad. I think he's a class act.
                    I thought Lester would return home to Boston too. Maybe he'll still find his way home eventually at the end of his career like Ellis Burks and Dennis Eckersley and now Hanley Ramirez. On that theme, Red Sox just announced they signed FA Justin Masterson after trading for Rick Porcello and Wade Miley. Those SPs shore up a rotation, but the Red Sox still haven't replaced their ace after trading Lester. Maybe the Sox aren't done acquiring starting pitching.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      I thought Lester would return home to Boston too. Maybe he'll still find his way home eventually at the end of his career like Ellis Burks and Dennis Eckersley and now Hanley Ramirez. On that theme, Red Sox just announced they signed FA Justin Masterson after trading for Rick Porcello and Wade Miley. Those SPs shore up a rotation, but the Red Sox still haven't replaced their ace after trading Lester. Maybe the Sox aren't done acquiring starting pitching.
                      The continuing flurry of trades seems weird to me, especially right after Lester signed with the Cubs. I initially didn't believe the Sox would ever try to get Lester back, especially after it seemed they wouldn't have the money for him after blowing a lot on the outfield. Then when I heard the Sox and Cubs were his final two choices, I started hoping he would come back. And that maybe all the movement for the past year had a reason, that he was intent on coming back all along. Before signed with the Cubs and they traded Cespedes, I wonder if the office believed all along that he would be back. And when he didn't sign with them, they got scared and started looking for pitching. It looks a little desperate to me.

I would love for him to be back some day. Just seems like a great guy.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Looks like the Tigers are resigned to Max Scherzer walking away.
                        I am not seeing any team that is actively pursuing Scherzer and wonder what Boras will pull out of his hat to get Scherzer better than the 160 million that Boras says he turned down. The Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers have disavowed active pursuit. The Tigers are acting as if they are moving on. Usually there is some kind of buzz about potential landing spots for free agents but with him it seems Boras may have misread the market.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Gotta love basball contracts.

For the life of me, I don't know why every left handed kid in America isn't practicing pitching right now. Throw a lefty 85 with a breaking pitch? Here's 4 years 30 million to sit in the bullpen.
                          Baseball money is silly.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Pads are not messing around.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              The Pads are not messing around.
                              To bad Kemp has old lady hips.

The Giants are doing what the Giants do...Resigning the guys that got them there on team friendly deals. Peavy 2 for 24 and Romo 2 for 15. I am fine with both of those deals.
                              *Banned*

Comment

• Wil Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton in the Padres outfield. That is impressive if they all live up to the potential. Those 3 combined miss 100+ games.
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X