2013 Holiday Running Challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm fine including cyclists. I'm not sure how many get out during the winter, but maybe a separate spreadsheet for cycling would be best. I'll work something up between now and thanksgiving.
    If your skills enable you to do so (mine certainly don't) it would be cool if the spreadsheet converted cycling miles automatically into running miles, dividing the miles ridden by, say, 3.3. I came up with that number based on what seems to be the average speed of most of the cyclists on the board, taking into account that RC Merckx is in rehab. Regardless, thanks for taking this on. Do whatever's easiest and quickest.

Comment

I'm in!
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Count me in

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          If your skills enable you to do so (mine certainly don't) it would be cool if the spreadsheet converted cycling miles automatically into running miles, dividing the miles ridden by, say, 3.3. I came up with that number based on what seems to be the average speed of most of the cyclists on the board, taking into account that RC Merckx is in rehab. Regardless, thanks for taking this on. Do whatever's easiest and quickest.
          Along with miles one of my many other 'meagers' is my knowledge of excel yet I am pretty sure I could set one up* to do exactly what you are describing. Given that my regime these days consists of jogging and cycling I would very much appreciate a combined spreadsheet. Moliere should consider this the price of making fun of me (yes, my pride is cheap, IOW).

*But I am too lazy to actually do so, just in case that thought occurred to anyone.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I haven't run a mile since Labor Day - so I'll be starting at the beginning to build up miles again. But I'm in. Should be good motivation to get me moving...

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Count me in, but I run only twice a week or so, and with modest mileage at that. At least I should dominate the >60 division. But I'd like to include cycling miles as well--I'm an exercise dilettante. Cyclists could adjust their reported mileage by dividing riding miles by, say, 3.5, depending on their speed. Here's an interesting article comparing riding and running miles. The chart doesn't take wind and hills into account, but it provides an adequate gauge. It would be great to encourage movement, in whatever form, by all CS'ers. Sorry for the slight threadjack, but this thing went off the rails when we didn't start a new thread for 2013.
              3.5 is about right, in my opinion. Including cyclists is great, especially because if I get injured that's my fallback this winter. And my wife will probably join up again.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

In. Not running as much now as I was in the summer (swapped one day of running for an additional day of lifting), but I'll have something to toss in the bucket.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

me too! me too!

Comment

I'm lazy, but I'll participate.

Comment

Here's a link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing

Alright, time to get this thing started!! I figured we could start a bit earlier this year so the official start date will be November 11. The early start date is mainly due to the late Thanksgiving date....but it might also have something to do with the fact I've got a big ride planned that following weekend. This year we are including the cyclists in the challenge. I like to keep this thing simple so I'm avoiding the calorie/weight loss/does golfing count? type of challenges and keeping it only to running and cycling.

2012 Winners: Let's revisit really quick the winners from last year:
                      Most miles: Nikuman P-Diddy - Non surprise here. I especially remember his 24 mile training run. Yes people, his training run was 2 miles short of a full marathon. He's obviously the favorite to win it all this year, however with the addition of cycling maybe someone else can challenge him

Most consistent: CJF swooped in to save the day by getting us to Times Square prompting this awesome post by PAC. Remember that you don't have to be fast or long to be win the "Most Consistent" award.

Most improved: Eddie won this one and the key is probably to get injured sometime in Sep/Oct and start to build up mileage during the challenge. Keep that in mind next fall before the 2014 challenge!!

We'll have the same categories this year, but let me know if you want any added in addition to these. I run this thing as a dictatorship so categories are subject to my approval, but, as always, I can be swayed by public opinion.

Charity: Last year we incorporated an option for people to also participate in giving to a charity. The winner of the challenge got to pick the charity and people paid $0.01 per mile ran. We'll continue this part of the challenge. Last year we possibly raised over $300 (depending on who actually paid...I did!!) for Joints in Motion which is something ER is/was associated with. If you don't want to participate in the charity part of the challenge, no worries as the main goal of the challenge is to keep everyone active during the Holiday Season!

Spreadsheet Tracker: I've put together a spreadsheet tracker that will hopefully be somewhat user friendly and idiot proof, although I'm issuing no guarantees. Basically you just have to put your name on the first tab, then your name will flow through to the other tabs automatically. Then, after your run/bike session you just have to input the miles into the appropriate tab "Running" for a run and "Cycling" for a bike ride. Just input your miles as miles and the spreadsheet will automatically adjust them based on the run/bike ratio of 1:3.5.

I'm taking the Obama administration approach to rolling out IT products (no beta testing) so let me know if you find issues with the spreadsheet. I've locked down some cells so things don't get accidentally messed up, but I'm happy to provide enhancements as requested. One thing I still need to do is color code the workouts like last year.

For those that are more visual learners, here's a step by step method including pictures:

Step 1: Input your name on the "Total" tab and also mark whether or not you are participating in the charity portion of the challenge
                      2013cs.JPG

Step 2: Let's say I ran 6.2 miles on the first day of the challenge. I'd go to the "Running" tab and input "6.2" into the appropriate cell...
                      2013cs2.JPG

Step 3: Let's say I rode 25 miles on the second day of the challenge. I'd go to the "Cycling" tab and input "25" into the appropriate cell...
                      2013cs3.JPG

Step4: You can then see your overall total mileage as well as how you stack up against other CSers by going to the "Total" tab...
                      2013cs4.JPG
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I sort of ignored this last year given the incredible insensitivity shown to cyclists by most of the participants that put together the spread sheet and who are named after a dead French guy. It may also have had something to do with my general sluggard-ness last year, too. Either way, I am excited about this one.

I don't mean to bring my own brand of insensitivity to the table, but does the name Joints in Motion make anyone else think of a Marijuana dispensary in a Panel Van?

p.s. Nice job Moliere; I knew you could put it together like that. Thanks.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Can we get the spreadsheet link at the top of the thread?
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            I sort of ignored this last year given the incredible insensitivity shown to cyclists by most of the participants that put together the spread sheet and who are named after a dead French guy. It may also have had something to do with my general sluggard-ness last year, too. Either way, I am excited about this one.

I don't mean to bring my own brand of insensitivity to the table, but does the name Joints in Motion make anyone else think of a Marijuana dispensary in a Panel Van?

p.s. Nice job Moliere; I knew you could put it together like that. Thanks.
                            I've come around to cyclists. All it took was me buying my own bike and realizing how truly great it is to feel the rush of the wind in my face and the burn in the legs as I climb those hills overpasses.

Is there any way to make my recent post the first in the thread? Just want to make the link easily available like last year so people don't have to hunt for it.

I also just saw that Cupcake signed up
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'll be the first to not mark the "X" in the charity box.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

thanks Moliere, looks great. So....does ping pong count?

Comment

Working...
                                X