The LDS Church... the McDonald's of churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LDS Church... the McDonald's of churches

My family all got together at the Garden Park ward for family photos and all I could think of is how big of shame that our churches are now all the same where ever you go. Even our temples (the mini temples) are turning cookie cutter.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

One thing I've heard is that church buildings are going green.

They have plans to put solar panels on new churches in certain areas.

Comment

Does anyone know how much the Church saves by taking this approach?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
        no doubt they save a millions but should it always come down to saving money? there are some really cool buildings in salt lake... ones with stain glass and such.
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
          I just heard about the panels from an architecture student who works for a firm that does church buildings. I think most of the new church buildings will meet some energy efficiency standard. Robin might be familiar with the standards.

From another source, I understand that new fabrication techniques have reduce the price of solar panels to about 1/3 of standard prices. I also understand that they are so popular right now that the company that produces them can only fulfill bulk orders. I don't know if the church has access to these new cheaper panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
            no doubt they save a millions but should it always come down to saving money? there are some really cool buildings in salt lake... ones with stain glass and such.
            I actually agree with you. I'm just wondering if the financial benefit is worth the standardized boring-ness

Comment

If the Church wants to go green, then they need to implement one and a half hour church.
              That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

One of the best things about being in Utah is seeing all of the cool old church buildings. Post like 60's meeting houses are for the most part pretty bland. I love finding older meeting houses in out of the way places. There is one in AF that has all sorts of stained glass and gables and nice brick work that a private citizen has bought and turned into a living workspace. The man makes organs there. I think it's really neat.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                  One of the best things about being in Utah is seeing all of the cool old church buildings. Post like 60's meeting houses are for the most part pretty bland. I love finding older meeting houses in out of the way places. There is one in AF that has all sorts of stained glass and gables and nice brick work that a private citizen has bought and turned into a living workspace. The man makes organs there. I think it's really neat.
                  I need a new gallbladder. Can you inquire about his rates for me?
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I'm more of a fan of the 1970s-style toaster chapels and the pizza hut churches.
                    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

I have been inside of that building in AF, and even though it is now a workshop, it is beautiful inside. Mike Bigelow is the owner. He is in my wife's childhood ward. He builds the organs from the ground up. Typically it takes him about 8 months to build one . He works mostly in large-space/high end jobs.
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        I need a new gallbladder. Can you inquire about his rates for me?
                        I already told you how to take care of that! Pay attention!
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I honestly believe this. The meeting houses are a glimpse into a religion's soul. Religion for most of human history has been the source of all our great art, whether visual art, architecture, literature, music or even drama. Even today, religion is our artists' primary muse. Cormac McCarthy is an intensely religious author. The artists who endure seem to at least in an abstract and oblique way address religious themes. Personally, I think the LDS Church failed me aesthetically more than anything. The opera houses and museums are my temples. Mormon buildings are an abomination, an affront to God, as is anything written that the LDS Church generates these days.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            I honestly believe this. The meeting houses are a glimpse into a religion's soul. Religion for most of human history has been the source of all our great art, whether visual art, architecture, literature, music or even drama. Even today, religion is our artists' primary muse. Cormac McCarthy is an intensely religious author. The artists who endure seem to at least in an abstract and oblique way address religious themes. Personally, I think the LDS Church failed me aesthetically more than anything. The opera houses and museums are my temples. Mormon buildings are an abomination, an affront to God, as is anything written that the LDS Church generates these days.
                            Imagine that, SU doesn't like something about the Church. I think the same effect could be had by just signing your name. We'd all know what you meant.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              I wish I had caught onto your humor earlier. It is really pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X