Meaninglessly trivial thing I learned this morning -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaninglessly trivial thing I learned this morning -

Leather Tuscedero (on Happy Days around 1978 or so) was played by Suzi Quatro - who was Joan Jett a decade before Joan Jett was Joan Jett. Wiki says she sold 50 million albums during a career that went from the late sixties until the early eighties, but only had one (HORRIBLE) hit song in the states - "Stumblin' In" hit #4 in the US in 1979. She was apparently pretty popular in the UK, Europe, Australia and Japan.

Before my mission I thought Suzi Quatro was front woman for Siouxsie and the Banshees - although this was back in the day when rock and roll facts were passed through verbal story-telling and not through the internet. The difference in spelling would have let me know that Suzi and Siouxsie were not the same person. I was corrected of that false notion by a girl in my wife's ward who was a big Suzi Quatro fan. I'm sure that she didn't know of Suzi's "Happy Days" pedigree, or she would have thought a lot less of her...
    Last edited by statman; 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM.

An acquaintance in HS was a fan of The Runaways. She also knew all about Suzi Quatro, her music and Happy Days cameo appearences. Apparently, Joan Jett copied Quatro's stage appearance/gig and was something of an idol of Quatro. This acquaintance had older sisters in LA and considered herself something of an advant-garde with the latest music. Some of her recommendations were questionable but she did introduce me to the music of the Pretenders before they hit the charts.

Anyway, I scored some Springsteen tickets to his nearest concert a couple hundred miles away in a neighboring state. I had permission from my parents to borrow a car and attend with a friend until they reneged a week before the show. I thought I was stuck until I relayed my dilemma to this acquaintance who also happened to own a car. So we had a date/road trip and I lied to my parents telling them that my friend was driving. By reneging on allowing me to user their car for a concert roadtrip and attend with a guy whom they knew, I was driving someone else's car with a YW who was getting high and dressed in black leather and "totally psyched" to be attending a Springsteen concert. While driving the 200+ miles, I learned all about Suzie Quatro, Joan Jett, and Chrissie Hynde.

The following year after graduating from HS, this acquaintance contacted me out of the blue to help her get tickets to Joan Jett who was touring college campuses and promoting a solo album. This was right before Jett hit the limelight with "I Love Rock & Roll". None of my friends had an interest in attending the concert so I went with the acquaintance and her boyfriend - they were dressed as punk rockers and I was this clean-cut Mormon boy waiting for his mission call. The boyfriend comments to us: "So this is your gay friend you went to the Springsteen concert with?". I replied: "I'm not gay". He looks at my appearence and replies, "Yeah, right! You don't have to worry about me; I'm cool with it". The acquaintance had lied to her boyfriend telling him that I was gay so he would be OK with us going on the Springsteen roadtrip together.

Anyway, that's my meaningless trivial story about Suzie Quatro, Joan Jett, Chrissie Hynde, Bruce Springsteen, and my gay weekend with Marilyn.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

There are several "things I learned" threads, but any thread that references Pinky's younger sister, Leather, and The Runaways is one that needs more bumpin'

I first saw the surfboard logo HE>i in Hawaii a few years ago. I always figured the name of the company was HEKI (sounds Hawaiian, right?), but the more I looked at the logo, the more I thought it was HEDI. Today I learned it is neither a "K" nor a "D" but a greater than sign. I think heki, is a cooler name for surf gear.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 06-19-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

ha art Vandelay you are too much.

this reminds me of the time a few years ago when YOhio admitted that he had never realized that the old Big 10 logo had an 11 in it.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Helping a neighbor fix his broken water main, I learned that pex pipe is sized based on their metal pipe equivalent.

There is CPF (copper pipe fittings) and IPF (iron pipe fittings). Copper pipe is measured by the outside diameter and iron is measured by the inside diameter.

1 inch CPF is almost identical to 3/4 inch IPF, but they are off just enough that couplers don't work on both.

We couldn't find 3/4 inch IPF or their couplers at Home Depot.

Edit: And I was wrong on the acronym. It is CPS and IFS for "size" and not "fitting".

Edit again: Looks like some pex measurements are for the middle diameter. i.e. the inside will be less than the measurement and the outside will be more.
          Last edited by beefytee; 05-30-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Why are you trying to use iron pipe fittings on pex?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              That's what the broken main line going into the house is.

Edit: I probably wasn't clear because I messed up the acronym in my original post. It is poly piped sized base on the iron pipe. No actual iron pip.
              Last edited by beefytee; 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Wow. That shocked my system seeing a Statman thread. I was thining about him for some odd reason yesterday. Life is too short.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  Wow. That shocked my system seeing a Statman thread. I was thining about him for some odd reason yesterday. Life is too short.
                  What happened to statman?

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Oh, I see. I misunderstood. Home depot wont have that stuff. You'll need to go to a plumbing supply store. I am sure you know this by now.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                      http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=17759119
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                        He passed away recently.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          He passed away recently.
                          That sucks.

Comment

There is something called a “Certified Life Coach” which sounds about as ridiculous as it really is.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              There is something called a “Certified Life Coach” which sounds about as ridiculous as it really is.
                              That make pretty good money. Something I am actually looking into. It isn't underwater welder money, but it is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X