Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Spoiler tags dude.
    I'm just guessing. It's not like I've read the non-existent book.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      I'm just guessing. It's not like I've read the non-existent book.
      I was talking about the speculative part of your post.

I really have no clue what direction they're going to go with this but the King in Yellow mythos is very interesting.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I was talking about the speculative part of your post.

I really have no clue what direction they're going to go with this but the King in Yellow mythos is very interesting.
        I'm wondering if the King in Yellow will spill over into season 2 and continue with different lead actors. Just seems to me there's a lot to wrap up in the 3 remaining episodes; at least at the current pace.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
          I'm wondering if the King in Yellow will spill over into season 2 and continue with different lead actors. Just seems to me there's a lot to wrap up in the 3 remaining episodes; at least at the current pace.
          I have no clue if Hopfrog is still around and lurking, but if he has seen True Detective, I'd love for his take on things as a Lovecraftian writer.

Spoiler for Where is this all going?:
          The Lovecratian stuff is there. Obviously the King in Yellow inspired HP Lovecraft and then in the very first episode the girl describes the green eared spaghetti monster. Weird stuff. The Yellow Sign is part of the King in Yellow short stories and appears throughout. I believe the spiral we see throughout is the Yellow Sign we see on victims and followers of the Yellow King. We saw it on Dora Lange. And LeDoux had the brand in the middle of his back below his neck of it. I wonder who the big people are that are part of this Yellow King. I don't think it is just one person and Cohle is onto that. I am not sure what Cohle is up to exactly but I think he removed himself as LE to investigate this thing on his own without drawing the attention of the big people. Obviously I think that he believes there is someone, his own State CID in on it. His reaction after the interrogation was telling when he asked the investigators why he was brought there and WTF were they up to. When he went back to see the missing persons list all of the vics were about the same height and weight from the same parrish and also noted with Made in Error hinting someone went back and covered it all up. I'm wondering if the religious element (Tuttle - his school at the end of episode 5) isn't a big part of this. This is a cult thing and maybe this was the reason they had the anti-Christian task force at the beginning so eager to take over this case. I think there are multiple people involved in this. Also, I have to believe that Hart's daughter is involved in all of this somehow. Not sure yet, if just a victim (maybe the Lake Charles victim in present day) or part of the cult herself. Remember the odd way her toys were positioned early in the season with the naked barbie surrounded by the male dolls? Then she has the episode in school with the sexually explicit drawings. And then we see her change as she grows older but before that shift in time we see the crown/tiara in the tree which seems too deliberate to not be foreshadowing and symbolic of something to come or happening. Also, one of the drawings on the wall of the home was a spiral. Again, I am not sure what her role in this but it is significant. I think that is what Hart means when he tells the investigators that he was looking all around but the solution was right under his nose. I think that both Cohle and Hart are still working on this case, probably together, outside of traditional LE roles. Hence True Detective. That's what is in Cohle's storage locker, all of the evidence they have collected. I am not sure if the two black investigators are in on it and trying to pin it on Cohle because he's too close or if they're just trying to do their job. But I think it is obvious what Cohle thinks as he calls them Company Men when he leaves.
          Last edited by Surfah; 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

What about Marty?

Could the evidence simply lead to him?

His daughter obviously witnessed something ritualistic
            He gets promoted after solving the case
            He didn't want to investigate the fringe churches
            He stops Rust from interviewing the gardener at the church
            He wanted to call backup before going to get Reggie
            He murdered Reggie
            His wife says he isn't a good man anymore and it doesn't have to do with the affairs
            He drinks Jäger, which has a deer with antlers as it's brand

I've wondered if maybe it's Marty that has a connection to a connected group that Rust is investigating.

In reality it will be that pastor, plus someone in the oil industry, thus the refineries in the background of almost every investigation scene.

Such an awesome show, I might go back this week and rematch the episodes again. It takes me about 80 minutes to get through an episode as I stop and rewind multiple scenes an episode.

I'm bummed it's only 8 episodes and only this story arc.

Comment

I have a hard time believing is in on it. I don't know if any of you have watched the inside the episode shows with the writer and director but they're pretty enlightening. A few nuggets they've dropped is that everything we see in the flashbacks happened as they were depicted. Also the writer said in one of them that Marty and Rust aren't anti heroes. They're heroes. There was also a making of True Detective video I saw that revealed a few more things including a few shots of present day that haven't aired yet. The writer also says that this is more of a manhunt than a whodunnit. Some things to consider.

I can't get over this show. I love it.
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

I have a hard time believing is in on it. I don't know if any of you have watched the inside the episode shows with the writer and director but they're pretty enlightening. A few nuggets they've dropped is that everything we see in the flashbacks happened as they were depicted. Also the writer said in one of them that Marty and Rust aren't anti heroes. They're heroes. There was also a making of True Detective video I saw that revealed a few more things including a few shots of present day that haven't aired yet. The writer also says that this is more of a manhunt than a whodunnit. Some things to consider.

I hate when writers do that shit.

Of course it's a whodunit, we have no idea who is behind the killing and we have been introduced to multiple suspects, including Rust. As the watcher I can deduce 3 reasonable suspects, Rust, Marty, and a group most likely headed by the Reverend that could involve people in the highest reaches of society.

We've already seen that Marty can be glamoured by fame, remember the scene where Rust finds a pyramid while Marty sucks up to the paralyzed dude. So it isn't out of the realm that Marty in his quest for professional success may be part of that group.

We've seen Rust in his delusions envision the same symbol on the back of Dora with birds.

And we've seen depictions of children, those pyramids inside the Revs school, linking him, plus his insistence that his anti Christian task force take the case.

I don't know what it means yet, but I keep thinking to be a true detective, the answer is usually the most simple.

In reality, though, this show is going to be ruined by being too smart for its own good. We are going to find that it doesn't matter whodunit, we've all done it, Dora is symbolic of a part of society that we really don't care about, we only care about money, material things, thus the consistent reminder if oil in the background.

Anyways I'm rambling, great show, too bad we won't see that naked chick again as that was an instant nude scene classic.

Comment

Another difficultly with placing Hart as the villan is that he could have had his partner Cohle removed from the case early on very easily. Their boss (Major Queseda) doesn't like Cohle and asks Hart more than once about keeping Cohle on the case. Hart replies that Cohle is intelligent and has a "real nose for this stuff" or something like that. If Hart is involved, I would think the last thing he would want is a partner with the ability to track down such a case. Rather, Hart would have asked Quesada to remove him and partner up with someone who would follow his lead. Also, Hart (along with Cohle) did not want to turn the case over to the task force which is the opposite of what someone would have done had they been involved (assuming the task force was also involved).

Comment

I have no clue if Hopfrog is still around and lurking, but if he has seen True Detective, I'd love for his take on things as a Lovecraftian writer.

The Lovecratian stuff is there. Obviously the King in Yellow inspired HP Lovecraft and then in the very first episode the girl describes the green eared spaghetti monster. Weird stuff. The Yellow Sign is part of the King in Yellow short stories and appears throughout. I believe the spiral we see throughout is the Yellow Sign we see on victims and followers of the Yellow King. We saw it on Dora Lange. And LeDoux had the brand in the middle of his back below his neck of it. I wonder who the big people are that are part of this Yellow King. I don't think it is just one person and Cohle is onto that. I am not sure what Cohle is up to exactly but I think he removed himself as LE to investigate this thing on his own without drawing the attention of the big people. Obviously I think that he believes there is someone, his own State CID in on it. His reaction after the interrogation was telling when he asked the investigators why he was brought there and WTF were they up to. When he went back to see the missing persons list all of the vics were about the same height and weight from the same parrish and also noted with Made in Error hinting someone went back and covered it all up. I'm wondering if the religious element (Tuttle - his school at the end of episode 5) isn't a big part of this. This is a cult thing and maybe this was the reason they had the anti-Christian task force at the beginning so eager to take over this case. I think there are multiple people involved in this. Also, I have to believe that Hart's daughter is involved in all of this somehow. Not sure yet, if just a victim (maybe the Lake Charles victim in present day) or part of the cult herself. Remember the odd way her toys were positioned early in the season with the naked barbie surrounded by the male dolls? Then she has the episode in school with the sexually explicit drawings. And then we see her change as she grows older but before that shift in time we see the crown/tiara in the tree which seems too deliberate to not be foreshadowing and symbolic of something to come or happening. Also, one of the drawings on the wall of the home was a spiral. Again, I am not sure what her role in this but it is significant. I think that is what Hart means when he tells the investigators that he was looking all around but the solution was right under his nose. I think that both Cohle and Hart are still working on this case, probably together, outside of traditional LE roles. Hence True Detective. That's what is in Cohle's storage locker, all of the evidence they have collected. I am not sure if the two black investigators are in on it and trying to pin it on Cohle because he's too close or if they're just trying to do their job. But I think it is obvious what Cohle thinks as he calls them Company Men when he leaves.

About Cohle. There's like an 8-year gap in Cohle's timeline (2002-2010). In the present (2012) the black interviewing detectives mention he been back on the grid as a bar tender the last couple of years. They ask Cohle again what he's been up to and Cohle responds: "I've already told you". I agree with the above that Cohle has been on the case; perhaps with Hart's help on the inside until Hart retires from the force. I think Cohle is working undercover and part of a federal investigation and still "part of the body" as I mentioned earlier. Perhaps Cohle has now surfaced to investigate how involved Louisiana CID is with the serial killings.

About Hart. Maybe Hart's allussion to "...looking all around but the solution was right under his nose..." is not about his family but his employers (CID). Maybe that's why Hart leaves the force and now has his own security and PI businesses because state CID is about to be exposed. It's obvious someone is on the inside changing records in the DB. Hart and Cohle keep asking the question: "If we didn't catch the right man, why has the killing stopped? If it's still going on, where are the bodies?". The killings have been covered up. Still not sure why there continues to be the occasional display with Dora Lange and the new victim in 2012.

Comment

Trying to avoid the discussion since I haven't started, but Messi just posted this link that looks like it might be interesting for people watching: http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        Trying to avoid the discussion since I haven't started, but Messi just posted this link that looks like it might be interesting for people watching: http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
                        Thanks for the link. After watching an episode, I recommend going over to darknessbecomesyou.com and listening to extras/interview with the creator Nic Pizzolatto. He gives a lot of interesing insight including some of the material that's in that literary reference link.

Comment

What an awesome series. I am not sure what kind of legacy this season will have in the long run, but MM's performance is as good or better than any I have ever seen. I feel sorry for whoever they have tapped to do season 2. This is a tough act to follow.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            What an awesome series. I am not sure what kind of legacy this season will have in the long run, but MM's performance is as good or better than any I have ever seen. I feel sorry for whoever they have tapped to do season 2. This is a tough act to follow.
                            MM's performance is so good, it kind of overshadows WH's performance which is also excellent. I wonder if there will be any more "flashbacks" since the two black detectives seem to be done with their interviews with the main characters and the backstory seems complete about the relationship between MM and WH and what transpired in their past. It would seem the final two episodes will take place in the present/2012.

Agree that season 2 of True Detective will have some big shoes to fill. Perhaps more talent will be attracted to the mini-series format. If TD can get MM and WH and HOC can get Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, then maybe talented writers, directors, and actors will invest.

Comment

Is it Sunday yet? I am ready for the finale!
                              *Banned*

Comment

http://youtu.be/AKcUdDWIHOI

Comment

Working...
                                X