Low Cal Vitamin Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Cal Vitamin Water

Does anyone else drink Vitamin Water (besides Kobe and Lebron)?

I avoid those types of sports drinks because they are usually calorie bombs....I'm talking to you, Gatorade. I noticed that the low-cal version of Vitamin Water claimed to be 10 calories a serving (25 calories per bottle). A glance at the nutrition chart revealed that almost all of the low-cal flavors gave you at least 100% of the RDA for Vit C, and a decent chunk of the RDA for many other vitamins (the Bs, a few flavors gave you Vit A). Hence, the name Vitamin Water, I suppose.

At 25 calories, it seems better to drink a bottle of low-cal Vitamin Water than to eat an actual large orange. I was surprised at how tasty the drink was....but that could be due to my not drinking any sugary drinks in months.

I can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of replacing natural vitamins (via fruit, veggies, etc) with synthetic ones (supplements....or in this case, a bottle of vitamin water). But from a caloric perspective, I am better off drinking a bottle of this a day (not to mention it tastes pretty good).

At any rate, if anyone is struggling to keep their diet but wants a relative non-hit to your daily caloric intake, low-cal Vitamin Water seems to be a decent solution.

One word of advisement: for non-caffeine drinkers (aka, the righteous), some flavors have "natural caffeine" (whatever that is) while others have no mention of any caffeine, natural or otherwise. So check the label.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

I have never liked Vitamin Water. I have tried multiple flavors and always thought it had a strange taste. I enjoy G2 which has 70 calories per 20 oz bottle and pretty much no nutritional value.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

yeah, a lot of people don't realize that Vitamin Water is just grown up kool-aid: a ton of sugar. But that triple X is to-die-for.

The low-sugar (I have to give them props for using stevia and other natural sweeteners) ones don't taste quite right, though, but they're not awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        yeah, a lot of people don't realize that Vitamin Water is just grown up kool-aid: a ton of sugar. But that triple X is to-die-for.

The low-sugar (I have to give them props for using stevia and other natural sweeteners) ones don't taste quite right, though, but they're not awful.
        Right. Regular Vitamin Water is basically a can of soda in a clear plastic bottle.

But the low-cal is pretty dang low-cal. 25 calories is less than a piece of fruit. So from a pure FitDay perspective, I wonder why I would even bother eating an orange when I can enjoy a nice sweet drink several times a week with lunch or dinner? I am not advocating giving up fruit. But it is fun to find nice, low-cal indulgences.

I wasn't bothered too much by the taste of the low-cal, btw. I liked the taste (I had the lemonade). Although the sweetness was surprising.

I was looking at the G2 that HFN mentions, but it was more than 70 calories, so I skipped it. Does it taste better?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I wasn't bothered too much by the taste of the low-cal, btw. I liked the taste (I had the lemonade).
          I'm sure it varies by flavor.

Personally, I'm up to like six cups of green tea a day. I hope there's no like negative side effects or anything (says a jittery lisa as she posts on an internet board at 2 a.m.)

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Does anyone else drink Vitamin Water (besides Kobe and Lebron)?

I avoid those types of sports drinks because they are usually calorie bombs....I'm talking to you, Gatorade. I noticed that the low-cal version of Vitamin Water claimed to be 10 calories a serving (25 calories per bottle). A glance at the nutrition chart revealed that almost all of the low-cal flavors gave you at least 100% of the RDA for Vit C, and a decent chunk of the RDA for many other vitamins (the Bs, a few flavors gave you Vit A). Hence, the name Vitamin Water, I suppose.

At 25 calories, it seems better to drink a bottle of low-cal Vitamin Water than to eat an actual large orange. I was surprised at how tasty the drink was....but that could be due to my not drinking any sugary drinks in months.

I can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of replacing natural vitamins (via fruit, veggies, etc) with synthetic ones (supplements....or in this case, a bottle of vitamin water). But from a caloric perspective, I am better off drinking a bottle of this a day (not to mention it tastes pretty good).

At any rate, if anyone is struggling to keep their diet but wants a relative non-hit to your daily caloric intake, low-cal Vitamin Water seems to be a decent solution.

One word of advisement: for non-caffeine drinkers (aka, the righteous), some flavors have "natural caffeine" (whatever that is) while others have no mention of any caffeine, natural or otherwise. So check the label.
            I'm a fan of the low-cal vitamin water stuff. They had it at Costco for a while, and we stocked up on it. I haven't been able to find it since though, and as a result, I haven't drank it much anymore.

Propel is another option that is low cal, and has a bit of a different taste than water. I try to limit what I drink, and since I usually like to change it up a little from only drinking water, Propel is another viable option.

G2 also tastes good, more like Gatorade, but it is higher in calories. So it is the balance you have to find. I think I actually preferred the Vitamin Water 10 as it has enough flavor to be enjoyable, but not overpowering. It also is nice, like DDD said, and provides vitamins.

Comment

I pick up the Costco 'VitaRain' and it is pretty good. No calories.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                I pick up the Costco 'VitaRain' and it is pretty good. No calories.
                Necro'd!

My more righteous half brought home a case of Costco VitaRain ZERO last weekend. While I was unloading it, I noticed about a third of it is composed of a "Raspberry Green Tea" flavor (0 calories, 210% Vitamin A). She has been nursing one all day today. It's a slippery slope from here to swinger parties... or worse! Fine for some ppl, but I'm not an orgy guy.

It tastes awful darn good though. :/
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                X