Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 89 of 89

Thread: What is DT smoking?!? (or cooking with DT) :)

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    When I win the lotto, I am buying this!





    Its is a stationary to mobile outdoor kitchen. It comes with an FEC 100 smoker and a Traeger lil tex pellet grill all on a portable island. Imagine towing this to a party, tailgate etc... I am in love.
    How much does that run?
    *Banned*

  2. #62
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    How much does that run?

    I am not sure. The smoker on the end is a FEC 100. They are about 3800.00 and the Traeger grill on the other end runs about 1100.00. Figure a few grand more for the trailer and the cabinets and my guess would be 7-8000.

    A little rich for my blood.



    Edit- The Traeger is more. It is about 1100.00
    Last edited by Drunk Tank; 08-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.

  3. #63
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    The more I use my Traeger, the more I love it. I still use my cheapo charcoal grill for a few things so I have toyed with the idea of picking up a medium-sized Big Green Egg just to have the best of both worlds. I have been watching on ksl.com but even the used ones are awfully expensive. DT, you got a steal on your used BGE.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #64
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,541

    Default

    Any of you guys try the Big Steel Keg/Bubba Keg smoker? My dad has been looking at getting one and I guess they're going to be doing a big demo nearby barbecuing on them all day and then selling these barely used afterward at a huge discount. I have read a few reviews and comparisons to the BGE and they're all very favorable. Plus they're cheaper than the BGE. Any thoughts?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  5. #65
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Any of you guys try the Big Steel Keg/Bubba Keg smoker? My dad has been looking at getting one and I guess they're going to be doing a big demo nearby barbecuing on them all day and then selling these barely used afterward at a huge discount. I have read a few reviews and comparisons to the BGE and they're all very favorable. Plus they're cheaper than the BGE. Any thoughts?
    They are very similar in use, and yes, less expensive. Select Home Depot stores (or maybe Lowes) were carrying them. Apparently they did not sell well and now you can find them occasionally for less than 1/2 of new.

  6. #66
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    They are very similar in use, and yes, less expensive. Select Home Depot stores (or maybe Lowes) were carrying them. Apparently they did not sell well and now you can find them occasionally for less than 1/2 of new.
    Good to know.

    One thing I like about the reviews I have read is because of the double wall, insulated design the outside stays cool to the touch. We could keep this on the deck and not be as concerned about the kids. As it is now the smoker is out at the end of the property line.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  7. #67
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,965

    Default

    I busted out my smoker for a brisket today. I have only used it twice before, both times for a turkey.

    This is probably a dumb question, do I flip the meat in a smoker?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  8. #68
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I busted out my smoker for a brisket today. I have only used it twice before, both times for a turkey.

    This is probably a dumb question, do I flip the meat in a smoker?
    No.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  9. #69
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    The local Costco had a Traeger roasdshow a couple weeks back. I couldnt resist and bought a new BBQ 075. It is freaking huge compared to my old one. It came with the 180° digital controller, and it has the built in grease drain, and the auto start, all features my old one didnt have. I will have to say the old one is heavier and better built, but this one should work fine.

    I paid 799.99 for the new one. The local dealer had them for 1199.00 . I am going to clean up my old bbq 075 and list it on Craigslist. I should be able to get about $400 for it. It has a new digital controller, new auger motor, and blower fan. So basically, all the electronics are new. The wife is making me sell all my other random BBQ's/grills as well, so when all said and done, my net cost for this one should be pretty low.


    FYI, they had the Lil' Tex Elite's for 639.99! crazy good price!

    Everything is dirty because it has been sprinkling rain. Just enough to mess everything up.





    Old vs. New



    Here you can see the real sizwe differance between the old and new. The old one has quite a bit of surface rust, but the pic makes it look worse than it really is. It will clean up really well.
    Last edited by Drunk Tank; 10-03-2010 at 08:06 PM.

  10. #70
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    Dang that is a killer deal, DT. Way to go.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  11. #71

    Default

    i am very seriously considering making this my desktop background:


  12. #72
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    oh yeah, let me clarify, I am not selling the XL Big Green Egg. Thats a keeper! Everything else goes. (22" Weber One Touch Silver, 22" Weber Performer, Trager BBQ 075, Char-Griller offset grill/smoker, Ugly Drum Smoker, and about 4 55 gallon drums that I was going to build into smokers and sell.)

    Yes, I have a problem.....

  13. #73
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    OK, I have been meaning to post these for a while and I was going to put this in the Traeger thread but I can't find it (search index is still corrupted) so I am going to post it here in DT's thread. We did our turkey a few days early so for Thanksgiving I did a couple of chuck roasts from Costco on the Traeger.

    First of all, I applied a liberal amount of prime rib rub, wrapped them up, and put them in the fridge overnight.



    Put them on the grill with the remote temperature probe. Cooked at 250 degrees using a mixture of alder and pecan pellets.



    Cooked until the internal temp was ~145 degrees. Took a little under two hours.



    Some parts of the roast were medium and some were medium rare. While we ate this one I left the other one on and cooked it a little longer since some of the family prefer it more well done. Both roasts were tender and had a wonderful flavor. I decided to mix up a batch of horseradish sauce using this recipe and it was great.



    We made quesadillas with the leftovers.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #74
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default Dinner 3 ways

    Last night I made me a pretty good burger. It is a bacon swiss angus burger with a fried egg on top. It was really good, would have been better with a nice frosty beverage... Sorry for the poor quality pic, I had to take a pic using my camera phone with a busted lens...




    My original plan for tonights dinner was to smoke a pork butt on the green egg, but since it has been raining all day, I smoked it on the Traeger instead. I started a bit late, so I decided to throw some ribs on as I didnt think the butt would be done in time.

    The babybacks were the best I have done. Very meaty and delicious. I am not sure if I have ever had better. Ribs have always been a mystery to me, but I hit a homerun with these! Best of all, I kept it simple; no foil, no spritzing with apple juice. Just slathered in mustard and sprinkled with the rub. They cooked for 4.5 hours @ 225. They were moist and needed just enogh pull to have them come clean off the bone. Awesome!


    The pork had been on a little over 5 hours when the ribs went on.


    Ribs are done! Mmmmm, look at all that pig honey dripping off! Yummy goodness!






    I made little rib sliders with Kings Hawaiian rolls.



    The pork butt just came off a few minutes ago. About 11 hours cook time. It is wrapped up and in the cooler to rest. It will become pulled pork sammies @ The Ticks house tomorrow for the BYU games.




  15. #75
    Senior Member il Padrino Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    19,204

    Default

    Sounds awesome, DT. I'm on my way and should be there in a few hours. Need me to pick up anything?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

  16. #76
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    Sounds awesome, DT. I'm on my way and should be there in a few hours. Need me to pick up anything?
    If you make it, I'm buying!!!

  17. #77
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default New Years Eve

    Had The Tick and his family over for new years eve. Had a blast! Good food and good company, what more could you ask for.

    Cooked some Tri-Tip and shrimp. It was pretty good.

    Cool fire pic!



    Shrimp






    Trip Tip. I did a reverse sear on it. Cooked indirect @ 350° until medium/rare then seared at very high temps for 1 min a side. Finished product was medium on the bigger ones and medium-well on the smaller ones. The egg was so hot, I had flames shooting 2 feet out of the top vent when I put the meat back on, it was a bit scary. I shut the vents down to kill the flames, but I caused a backdraft when I opened the dome and burnt the hair on my arms. Good times.







    After dinner we played Dance Off with the Kinnect on Xbox. Those pictures will not get posted, but it was great fun! We had a blast!

  18. #78
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default Grilled Rack of Lamb

    Tonight I made some grilled rack of lamb. I needed an entry into a weekly throwdown on one of the BBQ forums I am on and the theme was "Nouveau Quisine"...with the foo foo plating, etc....




    First of all, this was my first ever attempt at rack of lamb....and all I can say is..WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!?!?!?!?!? The family loved it, even my picky youngsters.



    First, a little marinade/rub of kosher salt, cracked black peppercorns, garlic, rosemary and olive oil.






    Then into the vacuum sealer to help open the pores of the meat a bit to let the goodness permeate the lamb. I marinated it for about 10 hours in the fridge.


    For the sauce, I decided to make a mint chimichurri using parsley, mint, red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.




    For the sides, I made roasted garlic mashed potatoes and some grilled shrimp. I used purple potatoes to be different. I had never even seen purple potatoes before, but they caught my eye with browsing the produce aisle, so I thought, why not? They turned out great!



    To finish the plate, I added some mixed greens, shaved radish, and dehydrated cranberries drizzled with a bit of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a bit of sea salt and cracked black pepper. The lamb was a perfect medium/rare (although the pics make it look washed out, it was a perfect pink!)

    My attempt at fanciful plating.....








    It was very good and something I'll definately cook again!



  19. #79
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    Question for DT, FM, Moliere, etc.:

    I sometimes use the FTC (foil-towel-cooler) method to keep meat warm and make it more tender and juicy after cooking. However, it seems to me that the function of the foil is to contain the juices and the function of the towel and cooler is to provide insulation and maintain the temp. But why not just wrap in foil and put in a covered roasting pan in the oven at 180 degrees? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing without worrying about the heat escaping after a couple of hours?

    I am trying this today on a couple of pork roasts.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #80
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Question for DT, FM, Moliere, etc.:

    I sometimes use the FTC (foil-towel-cooler) method to keep meat warm and make it more tender and juicy after cooking. However, it seems to me that the function of the foil is to contain the juices and the function of the towel and cooler is to provide insulation and maintain the temp. But why not just wrap in foil and put in a covered roasting pan in the oven at 180 degrees? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing without worrying about the heat escaping after a couple of hours?

    I am trying this today on a couple of pork roasts.
    I dont see why it wouldnt work. Just make sure you have an air tight seal on the meat so the moisture doesnt escape. Also, make sure your oven temp is accurate. My last oven (kitchenaid) was about 15 degrees off when tested with my digital temp probe. It also had worse temp swings than my Traeger.

    I am looking for a good deal on a Cambro insulated food tray carrier for my FTC duties. Just preheat with a pot of boiling water and you can keep the meat warm for hours on end. Plus they hold alot.

  21. #81
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    I dont see why it wouldnt work. Just make sure you have an air tight seal on the meat so the moisture doesnt escape. Also, make sure your oven temp is accurate. My last oven (kitchenaid) was about 15 degrees off when tested with my digital temp probe. It also had worse temp swings than my Traeger.

    I am looking for a good deal on a Cambro insulated food tray carrier for my FTC duties. Just preheat with a pot of boiling water and you can keep the meat warm for hours on end. Plus they hold alot.
    Thanks.

    Yeah, it seemed to work fine. But for some reason my pulled pork ended up with kind of a burnt flavor. Not sure why. I did the foil wrap earlier that I normally do and the bottom half of the meat got a little soggy from the juices that came off. Maybe that affected the flavor somehow. Do you foil wrap during the last part of your cooking on pork roasts?

    I also used straight apple instead of an apple/hickory combo I used last time.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  22. #82
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thanks.

    Yeah, it seemed to work fine. But for some reason my pulled pork ended up with kind of a burnt flavor. Not sure why. I did the foil wrap earlier that I normally do and the bottom half of the meat got a little soggy from the juices that came off. Maybe that affected the flavor somehow. Do you foil wrap during the last part of your cooking on pork roasts?

    I also used straight apple instead of an apple/hickory combo I used last time.
    I usually don't foil when it is on the smoker. Only time is use foil is the FTC.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  23. #83
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Question for DT, FM, Moliere, etc.:

    I sometimes use the FTC (foil-towel-cooler) method to keep meat warm and make it more tender and juicy after cooking. However, it seems to me that the function of the foil is to contain the juices and the function of the towel and cooler is to provide insulation and maintain the temp. But why not just wrap in foil and put in a covered roasting pan in the oven at 180 degrees? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing without worrying about the heat escaping after a couple of hours?

    I am trying this today on a couple of pork roasts.
    I've never tried that so it might work. I FTC my briskets and butts and they easily hold their temp for 5 hours. That's the maximum that I've read you should hold them, otherwise they are bound to break down too much and get mushy. I suspect putting it in an oven for a couple hours would make it mushy as well but I really don't know. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

    Holding the temp of less dense meats is tougher, but the variance in cooking time is a lot less so you can usually time them better to alleviate much need for FTC. My briskets have cooked in as little as 6 hours and as long as 12 hours.

    No matter what, a 30 minute rest period is needed after pulling from the oven/smoker.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  24. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I suspect putting it in an oven for a couple hours would make it mushy as well but I really don't know. If you try it let us know how it turns out.
    My prediction: It works fine but gives the pork a burnt flavor.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  25. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK, I have been meaning to post these for a while and I was going to put this in the Traeger thread but I can't find it (search index is still corrupted) so I am going to post it here in DT's thread. We did our turkey a few days early so for Thanksgiving I did a couple of chuck roasts from Costco on the Traeger.

    First of all, I applied a liberal amount of prime rib rub, wrapped them up, and put them in the fridge overnight.



    Put them on the grill with the remote temperature probe. Cooked at 250 degrees using a mixture of alder and pecan pellets.



    Cooked until the internal temp was ~145 degrees. Took a little under two hours.



    Some parts of the roast were medium and some were medium rare. While we ate this one I left the other one on and cooked it a little longer since some of the family prefer it more well done. Both roasts were tender and had a wonderful flavor. I decided to mix up a batch of horseradish sauce using this recipe and it was great.



    We made quesadillas with the leftovers.
    My wife has a chuck roast she bought from Walmart that she's planning to put in the crock pot tomorrow morning. I was thinking, why not smoke it? It weighs in at an underwhelming 2.68 pounds, with a fat cap on one side. Have you ever smoked a roast that small?

  26. #86
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    My wife has a chuck roast she bought from Walmart that she's planning to put in the crock pot tomorrow morning. I was thinking, why not smoke it? It weighs in at an underwhelming 2.68 pounds, with a fat cap on one side. Have you ever smoked a roast that small?
    No. But don’t let that stop you.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  27. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    No. But don’t let that stop you.
    With our schedules tomorrow, I don't think smoking will work, so I'm going to do it on Monday, and make gumbo tomorrow.

  28. #88
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,755

    Default

    What is the deal with all of the Photobucket photos?

  29. #89
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    What is the deal with all of the Photobucket photos?
    A couple of years ago photobucket decided to shut down any 2nd-party linking of photos from their site, unless you ante up cash for a subscription. Money-grubbing jerks, if you ask me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •