Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your diet and workout plans here

I usually do bench press and pullups set of 3 x 5 every week, and i use that as my gauge of where I'm at. My best on bench is 205 3 x 5. I took almost a year off and struggled to do 135 the first time back. I just passed off 185, so I'll be attempting 190 tomorrow. My weight is at 197. A good goal for me is doing body weight 3 x 5 on bench. I've only done it once at 195. I'm hoping to be doing that again within a month. On pullups, I just passed off 15 lb + bodyweight on 3 x 5. My best is 25 lb + BW.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I usually do bench press and pullups set of 3 x 5 every week, and i use that as my gauge of where I'm at. My best on bench is 205 3 x 5. I took almost a year off and struggled to do 135 the first time back. I just passed off 185, so I'll be attempting 190 tomorrow. My weight is at 197. A good goal for me is doing body weight 3 x 5 on bench. I've only done it once at 195. I'm hoping to be doing that again within a month. On pullups, I just passed off 15 lb + bodyweight on 3 x 5. My best is 25 lb + BW.
    3x5= 3 sets 5 reps? Or the other way around?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

How do you add weight to your pullups?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    3x5= 3 sets 5 reps? Or the other way around?
    Three sets of five reps.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post

Chain/belt with a plate around your waist.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

I usually hold a dumbbell between my legs. If it's a lot of weight, then you can put a belt and hookup plates on a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Chain/belt with a plate around your waist.
    I usually hold a dumbbell between my legs. If it's a lot of weight, then you can put a belt and hookup plates on a chain.
    Yeah, I've seen people do them. I was just curious if anyone had any good recommendations--especially for home without one of those belts. I guess I could just buy a belt...holding a plate between my legs seems like a pain.

Another related question. I'm trying to get a better set up at home. I have some really good resistance bands that go up to 162 potentially. I like them, but for some exercises they're a little awkward, so I'm thinking of picking up a set of dumbbells. There are the powerblocks, which seem like a pain because of the awkward cage. The Bowflex ones seem nice because they adjust quickly, but they rattle. My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GE5QRM/...mbbells.org%2F
    They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while). But they're crazy expensive and they are slower to adjust than the Bowflex ones.

So I'm kind of wondering if I just go cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable...ords=dumbbells
    For the same price, I could buy a few sets of these and then go back and forth between different exercises more quickly.

Any thoughts/experience with any of these?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Yeah, I've seen people do them. I was just curious if anyone had any good recommendations--especially for home without one of those belts. I guess I could just buy a belt...holding a plate between my legs seems like a pain.

Another related question. I'm trying to get a better set up at home. I have some really good resistance bands that go up to 162 potentially. I like them, but for some exercises they're a little awkward, so I'm thinking of picking up a set of dumbbells. There are the powerblocks, which seem like a pain because of the awkward cage. The Bowflex ones seem nice because they adjust quickly, but they rattle. My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
    They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while). But they're crazy expensive and they are slower to adjust than the Bowflex ones.

So I'm kind of wondering if I just go cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable...ords=dumbbells
    For the same price, I could buy a few sets of these and then go back and forth between different exercises more quickly.

Any thoughts/experience with any of these?
    I set up a pretty decent home gym for maybe $300 tops. I got all my stuff used off KSL classifieds.

--power rack
    --barbell and free weights
    --a couple sets of dumbbells and free weights
    --bench

I really liked working out at home. But when I started working from home, I needed to get out of the house, so I got a gym membership.

My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
    They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while).
    ER, I have the ironmaster dumbbells. I have had for quite a while. In fact I think I did a mini-review when I bought them:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ster-dumbbells

I have both the 120 and 165 pound extensions. They work great. If you come up to the Provo area and you want to try them out drop me a note.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    ER, I have the ironmaster dumbbells. I have had for quite a while. In fact I think I did a mini-review when I bought them:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ster-dumbbells

I have both the 120 and 165 pound extensions. They work great. If you come up to the Provo area and you want to try them out drop me a note.
    Thanks! You're not in Provo now though, are you?
    You mention benches in the other thread. The ironmaster bench looks like a good one. Have you seen it?
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Thanks! You're not in Provo now though, are you?
    I am, I moved to the Marriott school about 1.5 months ago.

You mention benches in the other thread. The ironmaster bench looks like a good one. Have you seen it?
    I don't have the ironmaster bench. I have this bench from York barbell that I really like (it is a commercial grade bench and I like it better than virtually every other commercial grade bench I have used):

Last edited by pelagius; 09-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    I am, I moved to the Marriott school about 1.5 months ago.

I don't have the ironmaster bench. I have this bench from York barbell that I really like (it is a commercial grade bench and I like it better than virtually every other commercial grade bench I have used):

I think commercial grade is the place to be with a lot of the fitness equipment out there.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Today was chest and tris. Did a pyramid on flat bench to failure (30 seconds between sets - really just enough time to add/remove plates). That sucked. Followed by cable fly drop sets to failure (only resting to adjust weight). After that skullcrushers and pec dec superset to failure (90 sec rest). Lastly, a superset of close grip bench and wide grip bench (Hammer strength machines with 90 seconds rest). I am toast.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Down to 195. I have a body fat checker. This thing.

It said 16.5%. Not improving much over the past couple weeks even though my weight is down a few pounds and I'm slightly stronger. I would like to say it's not accurate, but it seems to have been pretty accurate in the past when I was tracking it more often and doing a bodpod at BYU every six months or so.

I haven't beat 190 on bench yet, but I passed pullups + 25 lbs this week.

I was 167 when I weighed in on Friday. Not sure I can get much lower.

Down to 195. I have a body fat checker. This thing.

It said 16.5%. Not improving much over the past couple weeks even though my weight is down a few pounds and I'm slightly stronger. I would like to say it's not accurate, but it seems to have been pretty accurate in the past when I was tracking it more often and doing a bodpod at BYU every six months or so.

I haven't beat 190 on bench yet, but I passed pullups + 25 lbs this week.
    Jay santos, are you absolutely sure you can't bench more than 190, even once? Or am i misunderstanding you?

25 pullups is great. Those things kill me. Are you doing pull ups or chin ups?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Jay santos, are you absolutely sure you can't bench more than 190, even once? Or am i misunderstanding you?

25 pullups is great. Those things kill me. Are you doing pull ups or chin ups?
    I can not do 25 pullups. Earlier in the thread I mentioned my program of doing 3 x 5's and increasing weight when I pass. I passed bodyweight + 25 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps on pullups. I do wide grip pullups for this. On bench I did 190 X 5,4,4 so I am still on 190 for at least another week until I pass it off. My best on this is 205 but in relation to body weight, I have only been able to do bodyweight on bench 3 x 5 a couple times. As far as max bench, I think it's probably around 225.

PS I know this is weak. And if you've ever seen me in person you would be shocked to know I don't bench 300 lbs. I'm convinced it's due to my long arms which make benching more difficult.

I can not do 25 pullups. Earlier in the thread I mentioned my program of doing 3 x 5's and increasing weight when I pass. I passed bodyweight + 25 lbs for 3 sets of 5 reps on pullups. I do wide grip pullups for this. On bench I did 190 X 5,4,4 so I am still on 190 for at least another week until I pass it off. My best on this is 205 but in relation to body weight, I have only been able to do bodyweight on bench 3 x 5 a couple times. As far as max bench, I think it's probably around 225.

PS I know this is weak. And if you've ever seen me in person you would be shocked to know I don't bench 300 lbs. I'm convinced it's due to my long arms which make benching more difficult.
    lol!

Does widening your grip not help?

lol!

Does widening your grip not help?
    Yes, but it doesn't go well with the narrative.

Yes, but it doesn't go well with the narrative.
    Neither does "if you've ever seen me you'd be shocked I don't bench 300." You're trying to impress milfs, not gain functional strength, remember?

Neither does "if you've ever seen me you'd be shocked I don't bench 300." You're trying to impress milfs, not gain functional strength, remember?
    Exactly. My functional strength is shiz. My body is rocking (in my mind).

I was 167 when I weighed in on Friday. Not sure I can get much lower.
    167 lbs? I always figured you to be more of a man than that. I didn't know that you were a dainty lil' fella.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    167 lbs? I always figured you to be more of a man than that. I didn't know that you were a dainty lil' fella.
    Dainty indeed.

Dainty ginger poly that looks like a cross between Blake Griffin and Jason Newstead. lol!

Can we please stop with the revelations about Mark Grace? I can only take so much disillusionment at once!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Can we please stop with the revelations about Mark Grace? I can only take so much disillusionment at once!
    haha. I forgot to mention my soothing voice. I like the image we're coming up with.

haha. I forgot to mention my soothing voice. I like the image we're coming up with.
    This is how I had you pictured.

This is how I had you pictured.

That looks more like Jay at the AF public pool. I know, I'm shocked he can't bench 300, too.

That looks more like Jay at the AF public pool. I know, I'm shocked he can't bench 300, too.
    That's what I see when I look in the mirror. But I think this is closer to what other see.

That's what I see when I look in the mirror. But I think this is closer to what other see.

That dude is not going to impress at milfs.