Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your diet and workout plans here

Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar

Hot wings, Little Debbies, move papers from one part of my office to another. That's pretty much it for me.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

I lift weights three days a week and am incorporating cardio again after a long time. I had a stress fracture and gnarly shin splints last summer and really got out of my groove and gained back 25 lbs. Realizing I will probably deal with this cycle my whole life is depressing.

I don't follow a particular diet plan except "eat less." I track what I eat or I go a little crazy snacking.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

I am trying to eliminate snickers and late night brownies out of my diet to cut down on calories.

My summer workout is riding my bike about 500 miles a month and playing golf three times a week. When I golf I make sure I walk and carry my bag, it's a good workout and it feels more athletic when I do it. I go into the gym occasionally during the summer and lift but winters are so long and I'm stuck in that gym from November to April that it's hard to make it in there during the summer.

2000 calories a day or less, push ups and sit ups every night, jump rope every other night, hoops on a 3/4 court once a week.

Right now I am dropping weight so I am 1200 calories a day (plus exercise). I am also vegetarian and I don't eat processed foods or non-whole grains. I occasionally violate one or more of those principles, so it's not super strict, but I probably consume animal proteins (other than in eggs/milk/cheese) no more than once a week. And red meat is right out. Lots of nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, whole grains.

Triathlon season is over so I'm running six days a week, lifting twice, yoga once. It will bump up to seven days a week running when marathon training starts.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

The last time I dropped a lot of weight I counted calories and did nothing but run or P90X/Insanity workouts. Right now I don't even care what my calorie intake is with the workouts I am doing. But I am concerned with nutrition. So where my calories are coming from are important. I try to eat a lot of protein and a lot of veggies.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I am trying to eliminate snickers and late night brownies out of my diet to cut down on calories....
    I'm trying to eliminate snickers when I appear at the gym in my flesh-hugging UnderArmour compression t-shirt. Probably won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm trying to eliminate snickers when I appear at the gym in my flesh-hugging UnderArmour compression t-shirt. Probably won't happen.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    2000 calories a day or less, push ups and sit ups every night, jump rope every other night, hoops on a 3/4 court once a week.
    Based on that photo of you in your avatar it looks like this routine is working!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Based on that photo of you in your avatar it looks like this routine is working!
    I was in my late 20s in that photo. My goal is to look like that again!

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I was in my late 20s in that photo. My goal is to look like that again!
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Yeah, I remember him mentioning that about diabetes. The funny thing is, nothing he was saying was particularly new--the medical community has been on this for 20+ years--but he was acting like it was revolutionary stuff. Every doctor asks diabetics to cut carbs. They just don't want to. Every doctor is also concerned about insulin resistance, another of his revolutionary concepts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That and exersize is basically what I do - it took about a year, but I'm off of all meds and have been for going on 5 yrs now

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This is what I am starting this weekend. Keep it simple. I have never felt compelled to lose some weight, but I need to lose some big pounds. I developed a gift to look at the mirror and see my college body, when in reality I became a true fatty.

I have been busy all summer, so I have been putting off the diet until some things wrap up at work tomorrow. I have been dreading this, but I am glad the time is finally here.

I am going to consume 1000 calories less than I need to with a sedentary lifestyle. I bought a decent dumbbell set and bench.

Day 1: Pecs and shoulders
    Day 2: Arms
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: Back
    Day 5: Day off if I make through the 1st 4 without a break.
    Repeat

3 X's a week 6 miles jog walk and I am hoping to work until I can turn that into a nice 1 hour run.

I am hoping to get my weight back where I want it in a few more months and then work it into a more healthy lifestyle. I just can't let the feeling of responsibility at work and family make me feel guilty for taking care of myself.

I need to buy a better setup for my legs, but I just don't go to the gym, so it's a start.
    ^^^^^^That is how the work out plan started. Reality? I waited 5 more days to start. I have been religious about counting calories. I'm probably eating less than I'm supposed to, but I'd rather do that than too much for where I am at.

I have lifted a few minutes a few times and jogged a couple of miles a couple of times. I have lost more than 3.5% of my body weight in 8 days. That rate will slow down, or I'll start eating more.

I have had another stupid self revelation(the 1st was that I have become fat), but I have finally internalized that diet is more important than exercise in maintaining weight.

I'm hoping to get where I want to be in the next couple of months and then I will focus more on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    ^^^^^^That is how the work out plan started. Reality? I waited 5 more days to start. I have been religious about counting calories. I'm probably eating less than I'm supposed to, but I'd rather do that than too much for where I am at.

I have lifted a few minutes a few times and jogged a couple of miles a couple of times. I have lost more than 3.5% of my body weight in 8 days. That rate will slow down, or I'll start eating more.

I have had another stupid self revelation(the 1st was that I have become fat), but I have finally internalized that diet is more important than exercise in maintaining weight.

I'm hoping to get where I want to be in the next couple of months and then I will focus more on lifting.
    Good job. I totally and completely agree that diet is more important than exercise, in terms of fat loss. Something to also understand when looking at the scale, is the effect of water weight. Your water weight can swing 3-5 lbs pretty easily based on your calories especially your carbs. It's typical to lose 8 lbs on the scale the first week after a crash diet, and maybe 5 of that is water and 3 is fat loss. So keep that in mind that you won't continue to see a straight line of weight loss like that if you include the water weight loss.

Anyone use EC (ephedrine caffeine) stack? I'm ashamed to admit, but I've tried it and I'm doing it now. I know it's completely unhealthy but it works big time for me and I'm vain and trying to get the Riley Nelson six pack abs.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

One of my wife's riding buddies (a 50 year-old woman) not only rides 120-150 miles a week but has also been doing Crossfit regularly for the past two or three years. On their ride this morning, she said she had decided to do the Crossfit Paleo Challenge again (she had done it two years ago). She doesn't want to lose much weight, but had been a little bummed she had only lost three pounds in the past two years. However, after the initial program testing earlier this week, she learned that he had lost 12% body fat, dropping from 26% (which is still pretty good for a woman) to just over 14%. She's still going forward with the program, after which she will likely kill us all.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    One of my wife's riding buddies (a 50 year-old woman) not only rides 120-150 miles a week but has also been doing Crossfit regularly for the past two or three years. On their ride this morning, she said she had decided to do the Crossfit Paleo Challenge again (she had done it two years ago). She doesn't want to lose much weight, but had been a little bummed she had only lost three pounds in the past two years. However, after the initial program testing earlier this week, she learned that he had lost 12% body fat, dropping from 26% (which is still pretty good for a woman) to just over 14%. She's still going forward with the program, after which she will likely kill us all.
    That's the diet hunter pence used and he is the first Giant in the 20-20 club since Barry Lamar Bonds. It must work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Good job. I totally and completely agree that diet is more important than exercise, in terms of fat loss. Something to also understand when looking at the scale, is the effect of water weight. Your water weight can swing 3-5 lbs pretty easily based on your calories especially your carbs. It's typical to lose 8 lbs on the scale the first week after a crash diet, and maybe 5 of that is water and 3 is fat loss. So keep that in mind that you won't continue to see a straight line of weight loss like that if you include the water weight loss.
    I would be happy with 2lbs a week. It probably took me 6 months to gain that, so 1 week to drop it sounds like a great trade.

Does anybody know why eating less calories makes your body drop water? It seems like an odd reaction, but I know that it happens.

EDIT: Here is the answer I found online from a completely non credible(to me) source, but it sounds good.

"During the first few weeks of weight loss due to dieting, a rapid drop in pounds is normal according to the Mayo Clinic. When you reduce your caloric intake, your body gets its needed energy by releasing and utilizing its stores of glycogen, which is a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and the liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is used and burned up for energy, it also releases the water it holds onto. This is about 4 grams for every gram of glycogen. This results in the initial "water weight" loss that accompanies early weight loss from dieting and calorie restriction."

http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Does-Me...eight-14968229
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 09-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.

A head concussion and emergency surgery... I lost about 20 lbs in about two to three weeks. I guessing it is not the best way to lose weight, however. So far I have only gained a few pounds back.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Jay, will your workout/diet plan get me strong enough to do this (@1:15)

LMK.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 09-14-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

LMK.
    That is insane.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Wow. That was unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

LMK.
    I doubt it. The goal of the Jay Santos diet-workout is not functional strength. It's to look good for the MILF's at the Spanish Fork pool.

What do you all think about straight sets vs circuits (by circuits, I don't mean machines--I mean going through everything once before repeating anything)? If you have say, 9 exercises, do you go through the circuit of 9 three times or each one three times before moving on? Or does it make sense to do three circuits of three?
    I know traditionally, people do straight sets, but you're fresher for your third set if you have a longer break working other stuff, and then your muscle ends up actually doing more work. But do you sacrifice strength gains for that?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

What do you all think about straight sets vs circuits (by circuits, I don't mean machines--I mean going through everything once before repeating anything)? If you have say, 9 exercises, do you go through the circuit of 9 three times or each one three times before moving on? Or does it make sense to do three circuits of three?
    I know traditionally, people do straight sets, but you're fresher for your third set if you have a longer break working other stuff, and then your muscle ends up actually doing more work. But do you sacrifice strength gains for that?
    I think it can be a time-saver. Let's say I wanted 90 seconds rest between sets. I could easily get one set of three different exercises in (leg extension/leg curl/calf raise, for example) and cut my down time significantly. At the gym, I think the biggest challenge is having three stations available at once.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Just my impression from the circuit workouts I've done, and I'm not a (medical) doctor, but I think you probably do sacrifice just a little bit in strength gains because you don't exhaust each muscle group quite as much. However, I think the cardio payoff more than makes up for it. My absolute favorite workout is to get four stations--two legs, two upper body--and go through them all 3 times with 15 second break between stations and 1 minute break after each completed rotation. I get a fantastic workout in 20-25 mins, and by the end i'm usually dripping sweat, breathing hard, and my muscles are exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I think it can be a time-saver. Let's say I wanted 90 seconds rest between sets. I could easily get one set of three different exercises in (leg extension/leg curl/calf raise, for example) and cut my down time significantly. At the gym, I think the biggest challenge is having three stations available at once.
    And yep, this is the downside. It's nearly impossible to lock down 4 stations for a 25 minute period without being a complete ass in the process.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Well, I'm talking home workout stuff (dumbbells), so I'm not worried about tying up machines. Achilles problems have stopped my running for a little while, so the cardiac benefit is there, as is the time issue. I was just curious if you lose any strength benefits--it seems like everyone who's more serious about weight lifting always talks straight sets.

At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Well, I'm talking home workout stuff (dumbbells), so I'm not worried about tying up machines. Achilles problems have stopped my running for a little while, so the cardiac benefit is there, as is the time issue. I was just curious if you lose any strength benefits--it seems like everyone who's more serious about weight lifting always talks straight sets.

i agree. But FTR, by stations I didn't mean machines either.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Usually, I do a quasi-curcuit (mini-circuit?) of two different muscle groups at a time and move through the workout that way with minimal rest just to keep my heart beating but also letting muscles rest (go close to fatigue for all normal sets and then to true fatigue for the final).

For example I alternate bench and rows: one set bench then one set rows, and repeat with heavier weight for 2-3 more sets. then I move on to something like miilitary press and pullups/lats, and then on to two other muscle groups. I keep my heart pounding comfortably through most of the workout, but my muscles are relatively fresh for each set. FWIW.

On circuit training:

The conventional bro science is as follows:

Strength work out. Low reps (3-6), lots of rest time between each set (3-5 minutes).
    Bodybuilding work out. Best for hypertrophy. Medium reps (8-15), 1.5 - 3 minutes between sets.
    Endurance/Cardio/Fat loss work out. High reps, little rest, circuits are good for this because you can continue to work out without resting.

My opinion based on anecdotal and empirical evidence and trying to study real science:
    There is a lot of crossover, ie a circuit/fat loss workout will give you strength and hypertrophy benefits. The less experienced you are and less muscle bound you are, the less the difference is. ie if you're Ronnie Coleman a circuit training workout might be 20% optimal to strength and hypertrophy, but if you're a couch potato newbie it might be 95% optimal.

As for the specific question about circuit and rest...

It probably depends on the rest period. For optimal strength/hypertrophy work out, ideally each set should be done starting with resting heart beat and sufficiently rested to give your all to the set. With circuit training, if you're not resting, you're keeping your heart beat high, and you're not able to go full strength on that set, so your muscles won't get the same workout.