No announcement yet.

Post your diet and workout plans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually do bench press and pullups set of 3 x 5 every week, and i use that as my gauge of where I'm at. My best on bench is 205 3 x 5. I took almost a year off and struggled to do 135 the first time back. I just passed off 185, so I'll be attempting 190 tomorrow. My weight is at 197. A good goal for me is doing body weight 3 x 5 on bench. I've only done it once at 195. I'm hoping to be doing that again within a month. On pullups, I just passed off 15 lb + bodyweight on 3 x 5. My best is 25 lb + BW.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      I usually do bench press and pullups set of 3 x 5 every week, and i use that as my gauge of where I'm at. My best on bench is 205 3 x 5. I took almost a year off and struggled to do 135 the first time back. I just passed off 185, so I'll be attempting 190 tomorrow. My weight is at 197. A good goal for me is doing body weight 3 x 5 on bench. I've only done it once at 195. I'm hoping to be doing that again within a month. On pullups, I just passed off 15 lb + bodyweight on 3 x 5. My best is 25 lb + BW.
      3x5= 3 sets 5 reps? Or the other way around?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

How do you add weight to your pullups?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          3x5= 3 sets 5 reps? Or the other way around?
          Three sets of five reps.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

Chain/belt with a plate around your waist.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I usually hold a dumbbell between my legs. If it's a lot of weight, then you can put a belt and hookup plates on a chain.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                Chain/belt with a plate around your waist.
                Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                I usually hold a dumbbell between my legs. If it's a lot of weight, then you can put a belt and hookup plates on a chain.
                Yeah, I've seen people do them. I was just curious if anyone had any good recommendations--especially for home without one of those belts. I guess I could just buy a belt...holding a plate between my legs seems like a pain.

Another related question. I'm trying to get a better set up at home. I have some really good resistance bands that go up to 162 potentially. I like them, but for some exercises they're a little awkward, so I'm thinking of picking up a set of dumbbells. There are the powerblocks, which seem like a pain because of the awkward cage. The Bowflex ones seem nice because they adjust quickly, but they rattle. My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
                http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GE5QRM/...mbbells.org%2F
                They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while). But they're crazy expensive and they are slower to adjust than the Bowflex ones.

So I'm kind of wondering if I just go cheap:
                http://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable...ords=dumbbells
                For the same price, I could buy a few sets of these and then go back and forth between different exercises more quickly.

Any thoughts/experience with any of these?
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Yeah, I've seen people do them. I was just curious if anyone had any good recommendations--especially for home without one of those belts. I guess I could just buy a belt...holding a plate between my legs seems like a pain.

Another related question. I'm trying to get a better set up at home. I have some really good resistance bands that go up to 162 potentially. I like them, but for some exercises they're a little awkward, so I'm thinking of picking up a set of dumbbells. There are the powerblocks, which seem like a pain because of the awkward cage. The Bowflex ones seem nice because they adjust quickly, but they rattle. My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
                  They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while). But they're crazy expensive and they are slower to adjust than the Bowflex ones.

So I'm kind of wondering if I just go cheap:
                  http://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable...ords=dumbbells
                  For the same price, I could buy a few sets of these and then go back and forth between different exercises more quickly.

Any thoughts/experience with any of these?
                  I set up a pretty decent home gym for maybe $300 tops. I got all my stuff used off KSL classifieds.

--power rack
                  --barbell and free weights
                  --a couple sets of dumbbells and free weights
                  --bench

I really liked working out at home. But when I started working from home, I needed to get out of the house, so I got a gym membership.

Comment

My favorite of the adjustable ones are these:
                    They seem solid, and they have an extension available for another 30 lbs (which I doubt I'll need for a while).
                    ER, I have the ironmaster dumbbells. I have had for quite a while. In fact I think I did a mini-review when I bought them:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ster-dumbbells

I have both the 120 and 165 pound extensions. They work great. If you come up to the Provo area and you want to try them out drop me a note.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                      ER, I have the ironmaster dumbbells. I have had for quite a while. In fact I think I did a mini-review when I bought them:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ster-dumbbells

I have both the 120 and 165 pound extensions. They work great. If you come up to the Provo area and you want to try them out drop me a note.
                      Thanks! You're not in Provo now though, are you?
                      You mention benches in the other thread. The ironmaster bench looks like a good one. Have you seen it?
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Thanks! You're not in Provo now though, are you?
                        I am, I moved to the Marriott school about 1.5 months ago.

You mention benches in the other thread. The ironmaster bench looks like a good one. Have you seen it?
                        I don't have the ironmaster bench. I have this bench from York barbell that I really like (it is a commercial grade bench and I like it better than virtually every other commercial grade bench I have used):

Last edited by pelagius; 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                          I am, I moved to the Marriott school about 1.5 months ago.

I don't have the ironmaster bench. I have this bench from York barbell that I really like (it is a commercial grade bench and I like it better than virtually every other commercial grade bench I have used):

I think commercial grade is the place to be with a lot of the fitness equipment out there.
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Today was chest and tris. Did a pyramid on flat bench to failure (30 seconds between sets - really just enough time to add/remove plates). That sucked. Followed by cable fly drop sets to failure (only resting to adjust weight). After that skullcrushers and pec dec superset to failure (90 sec rest). Lastly, a superset of close grip bench and wide grip bench (Hammer strength machines with 90 seconds rest). I am toast.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Down to 195. I have a body fat checker. This thing.

It said 16.5%. Not improving much over the past couple weeks even though my weight is down a few pounds and I'm slightly stronger. I would like to say it's not accurate, but it seems to have been pretty accurate in the past when I was tracking it more often and doing a bodpod at BYU every six months or so.

I haven't beat 190 on bench yet, but I passed pullups + 25 lbs this week.

Comment

I was 167 when I weighed in on Friday. Not sure I can get much lower.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X