No announcement yet.

Post your diet and workout plans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my wife's riding buddies (a 50 year-old woman) not only rides 120-150 miles a week but has also been doing Crossfit regularly for the past two or three years. On their ride this morning, she said she had decided to do the Crossfit Paleo Challenge again (she had done it two years ago). She doesn't want to lose much weight, but had been a little bummed she had only lost three pounds in the past two years. However, after the initial program testing earlier this week, she learned that he had lost 12% body fat, dropping from 26% (which is still pretty good for a woman) to just over 14%. She's still going forward with the program, after which she will likely kill us all.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      One of my wife's riding buddies (a 50 year-old woman) not only rides 120-150 miles a week but has also been doing Crossfit regularly for the past two or three years. On their ride this morning, she said she had decided to do the Crossfit Paleo Challenge again (she had done it two years ago). She doesn't want to lose much weight, but had been a little bummed she had only lost three pounds in the past two years. However, after the initial program testing earlier this week, she learned that he had lost 12% body fat, dropping from 26% (which is still pretty good for a woman) to just over 14%. She's still going forward with the program, after which she will likely kill us all.
      That's the diet hunter pence used and he is the first Giant in the 20-20 club since Barry Lamar Bonds. It must work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Good job. I totally and completely agree that diet is more important than exercise, in terms of fat loss. Something to also understand when looking at the scale, is the effect of water weight. Your water weight can swing 3-5 lbs pretty easily based on your calories especially your carbs. It's typical to lose 8 lbs on the scale the first week after a crash diet, and maybe 5 of that is water and 3 is fat loss. So keep that in mind that you won't continue to see a straight line of weight loss like that if you include the water weight loss.
        I would be happy with 2lbs a week. It probably took me 6 months to gain that, so 1 week to drop it sounds like a great trade.

Does anybody know why eating less calories makes your body drop water? It seems like an odd reaction, but I know that it happens.

EDIT: Here is the answer I found online from a completely non credible(to me) source, but it sounds good.

"During the first few weeks of weight loss due to dieting, a rapid drop in pounds is normal according to the Mayo Clinic. When you reduce your caloric intake, your body gets its needed energy by releasing and utilizing its stores of glycogen, which is a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and the liver. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is used and burned up for energy, it also releases the water it holds onto. This is about 4 grams for every gram of glycogen. This results in the initial "water weight" loss that accompanies early weight loss from dieting and calorie restriction."

http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Does-Me...eight-14968229
        Last edited by Vic Vega; 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

A head concussion and emergency surgery... I lost about 20 lbs in about two to three weeks. I guessing it is not the best way to lose weight, however. So far I have only gained a few pounds back.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Jay, will your workout/diet plan get me strong enough to do this (@1:15)

LMK.
            Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

LMK.
              That is insane.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Wow. That was unreal.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

LMK.
                  I doubt it. The goal of the Jay Santos diet-workout is not functional strength. It's to look good for the MILF's at the Spanish Fork pool.

Comment

What do you all think about straight sets vs circuits (by circuits, I don't mean machines--I mean going through everything once before repeating anything)? If you have say, 9 exercises, do you go through the circuit of 9 three times or each one three times before moving on? Or does it make sense to do three circuits of three?
                    I know traditionally, people do straight sets, but you're fresher for your third set if you have a longer break working other stuff, and then your muscle ends up actually doing more work. But do you sacrifice strength gains for that?
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      What do you all think about straight sets vs circuits (by circuits, I don't mean machines--I mean going through everything once before repeating anything)? If you have say, 9 exercises, do you go through the circuit of 9 three times or each one three times before moving on? Or does it make sense to do three circuits of three?
                      I know traditionally, people do straight sets, but you're fresher for your third set if you have a longer break working other stuff, and then your muscle ends up actually doing more work. But do you sacrifice strength gains for that?
                      I think it can be a time-saver. Let's say I wanted 90 seconds rest between sets. I could easily get one set of three different exercises in (leg extension/leg curl/calf raise, for example) and cut my down time significantly. At the gym, I think the biggest challenge is having three stations available at once.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Just my impression from the circuit workouts I've done, and I'm not a (medical) doctor, but I think you probably do sacrifice just a little bit in strength gains because you don't exhaust each muscle group quite as much. However, I think the cardio payoff more than makes up for it. My absolute favorite workout is to get four stations--two legs, two upper body--and go through them all 3 times with 15 second break between stations and 1 minute break after each completed rotation. I get a fantastic workout in 20-25 mins, and by the end i'm usually dripping sweat, breathing hard, and my muscles are exhausted.

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        I think it can be a time-saver. Let's say I wanted 90 seconds rest between sets. I could easily get one set of three different exercises in (leg extension/leg curl/calf raise, for example) and cut my down time significantly. At the gym, I think the biggest challenge is having three stations available at once.
                        And yep, this is the downside. It's nearly impossible to lock down 4 stations for a 25 minute period without being a complete ass in the process.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Well, I'm talking home workout stuff (dumbbells), so I'm not worried about tying up machines. Achilles problems have stopped my running for a little while, so the cardiac benefit is there, as is the time issue. I was just curious if you lose any strength benefits--it seems like everyone who's more serious about weight lifting always talks straight sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Well, I'm talking home workout stuff (dumbbells), so I'm not worried about tying up machines. Achilles problems have stopped my running for a little while, so the cardiac benefit is there, as is the time issue. I was just curious if you lose any strength benefits--it seems like everyone who's more serious about weight lifting always talks straight sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                            i agree. But FTR, by stations I didn't mean machines either.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Usually, I do a quasi-curcuit (mini-circuit?) of two different muscle groups at a time and move through the workout that way with minimal rest just to keep my heart beating but also letting muscles rest (go close to fatigue for all normal sets and then to true fatigue for the final).

For example I alternate bench and rows: one set bench then one set rows, and repeat with heavier weight for 2-3 more sets. then I move on to something like miilitary press and pullups/lats, and then on to two other muscle groups. I keep my heart pounding comfortably through most of the workout, but my muscles are relatively fresh for each set. FWIW.

Comment

On circuit training:

The conventional bro science is as follows:

Strength work out. Low reps (3-6), lots of rest time between each set (3-5 minutes).
                                Bodybuilding work out. Best for hypertrophy. Medium reps (8-15), 1.5 - 3 minutes between sets.
                                Endurance/Cardio/Fat loss work out. High reps, little rest, circuits are good for this because you can continue to work out without resting.

My opinion based on anecdotal and empirical evidence and trying to study real science:
                                There is a lot of crossover, ie a circuit/fat loss workout will give you strength and hypertrophy benefits. The less experienced you are and less muscle bound you are, the less the difference is. ie if you're Ronnie Coleman a circuit training workout might be 20% optimal to strength and hypertrophy, but if you're a couch potato newbie it might be 95% optimal.

As for the specific question about circuit and rest...

It probably depends on the rest period. For optimal strength/hypertrophy work out, ideally each set should be done starting with resting heart beat and sufficiently rested to give your all to the set. With circuit training, if you're not resting, you're keeping your heart beat high, and you're not able to go full strength on that set, so your muscles won't get the same workout.

Comment

Working...
                                X