Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 451 to 465 of 465

Thread: Post your diet and workout plans here

  1. #451
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    25,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    3 days a week, cardio on 3 others.

    I found several 5 x 5 programs and I think the one I settled on was called "Stronglifts 5x5". But they were all pretty much the same thing.
    Thanks for the info.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  2. #452
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Recently switched from a lifting program that went 12, 10, 8, 6, 12,12 to a simple 5 X 5 program. Six months of the same routine had me at a plateau. One week into the 5 X 5 and I'm digging it so far (partly because the weights are still light). 5 sets of 5 reps and you're supposed to go up 5 pounds per workout on each lift. Workouts alternate between an A and a B:

    A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Barbell Rows

    Then any 2 electives of which I've been doing pull-ups and planks.

    B:
    Squat
    Dead Lift
    Overhead Press

    Same 2 electives


    Hoping this change gives me a bit of a boost.
    That's pretty impressive. Just kinda of a FYI I would be very careful about any weight gain in the future. In the past I would gain about 10-15 lbs during the winter knowing that I could lose it right away in the spring by jumping on my bike. As I've gotten older I know I can't outwork a bad diet anymore. I'm 6' 2" and I work really hard to keep my weight under 200lbs just because I can't carry any more than that without feeling fat. I don't consider myself a big eater and I try to stay away from junk and yet it's still a battle. Incorporate things into your workout that you can do for the next 30 years without fear of getting hurt, pushups, rowing, swimming are some of the things I find most helpful. So many people our age are limited to what they can do because they didn't take care of themselves, stay active is the key so that when the kids are gone and you've got the time and money you and wife can enjoy traveling together.

  3. #453
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    That's pretty impressive. Just kinda of a FYI I would be very careful about any weight gain in the future. In the past I would gain about 10-15 lbs during the winter knowing that I could lose it right away in the spring by jumping on my bike. As I've gotten older I know I can't outwork a bad diet anymore. I'm 6' 2" and I work really hard to keep my weight under 200lbs just because I can't carry any more than that without feeling fat. I don't consider myself a big eater and I try to stay away from junk and yet it's still a battle. Incorporate things into your workout that you can do for the next 30 years without fear of getting hurt, pushups, rowing, swimming are some of the things I find most helpful. So many people our age are limited to what they can do because they didn't take care of themselves, stay active is the key so that when the kids are gone and you've got the time and money you and wife can enjoy traveling together.
    Advice appreciated. This time has been so much more difficult than the previous attempts that I get the feeling it's almost my "last chance" to get myself together for the future. I'm feeling really good now, but it's usually that 1 year mark when the burnout hits me. I've enjoyed lifting with my wife. Our gym has a new power lifting set up and we can usually get adjacent cages. Hopefully it helps us stay motivated together.

  4. #454

    Default

    I've just entered the 6th month of my bulking phase. Not sure when the cutting phase will begin. I'm guessing not anytime soon.

    I don't have a real plan right now, which is part of the problem. My thing is I really like to run in the winter and ride the bike in the summer. This is fine for calorie burn on those specific exercise days. But my body doesn't recover anything like it used to, so in the middle of those seasons I haven't really been able to do much exercise at all on my off days, as either I am too sore/tired from my run/bike workout to have a good off-day workout, or I don't want to go hard enough on my off-day to mess up the quality of my planned run or ride.

    So what I am trying to do is add some more lean muscle mass by lifting weights fairly hard at the gym 3 days per week, and doing some form of cardio (run, bike trainer) 3-4 days per week. I don't have any marathons or big cycling events planned, so I am not doing any big cardio workout beyond an hour at this time.

    Mondays and Wednesdays are basically out for anything substantial, due to a really long work schedule and church stuff on Wednesday evening. Fridays are always hit and miss, but usually miss. Mornings are tough during the school year with trying to get older kids out the door for early morning seminary and the younger ones ready for school. This leaves me with having to do some sort of double workout on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

    So I usually do a 30-45 minute run or bike ride, followed immediately by weights. I alternate between 1) upper body pushing muscle groups (chest, triceps, anterior and lateral deltoids) and 2)back, biceps, posterior shoulders, and legs. I also try to include at least one plyometric/HIIT workout per week.

    Again, not an ideal workout plan, and I am open to suggestions for improvement.

    I feel really good right now, even though I am carrying a bunch of extra holiday weight. Hoping that the added muscle will help with a metabolic bump once we get closer to spring and summer.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #455
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I've believe I've posted several times in this thread in the past few years with different plans. I have always seen decent results for a few weeks an then backslid. I think I'm finally on to a plan that will help me get to a weight I can maintain. I'm rapidly approaching 40, and my metabolism seems to have slowed again accordingly. I have noticed in the past 6 months that when I played soccer my knees really hurt. I was probably well over 210 at that point. My wife was starting a meal plan to lose the weight from her second pregnancy so she offered to double the meal prep so I could participate and I couldn't turn it down. It's a meal plan from this lady:

    http://www.cleansimplefoodie.com/

    The meal prep is a bit time consuming so I obviously owe a lot of the success to my wife. While the meals aren't what I would like to be eating day in and day out, they are all actually pretty tasty and I don't dread choking them down like I have other meal plans in the past. I typically have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. The plans tell you exactly what to prepare. I haven't been very strict on the workouts, but I typically get one rowing/lifting workout a week, one soccer league game, and at least one Varsity football game to ref. I'm going to try to add in more running/lifting in the next couple weeks.

    I'm very pleased with the results so far. I was under 190 for the first time in forever this morning. Target weight is 180. In my soccer game last week I felt faster than I have in about 5 years and my knees had no soreness after. I have been giving myself one large cheat meal per week (and I REALLY go hard on that meal) and it hasn't seemed to slow down my progress. When I get to 180 my plan is to eat normal meals again, but focus on portion control and completely eliminate snacking at work. Then allow myself to party on Saturday. If I start to creep back up I'll obviously have to adjust. My wife has had very good results as well. I believe she's down over 30 pounds and has a target of 10 more. She's also back into crossfit full-time, so she can probably beat me up again.

    Few things in life feel as good as getting in shape. I hope I can make the results last.
    I had an unfortunate detour. My original meal plan ended right before Thanksgiving. So over the holidays I jumped off the wagon and broke both my ankles. Pretty much ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise a lot. I lost about 25 with the original plan and gained 10 back. As of this weekend I'm back on plan so I'm confident in 30 days I'll be lower than I was before Thanksgiving last year.

    I really want to up my workout game this time too. My wife was off the diet wagon as bad as me, but she continued her crossfit workouts 4-5 days a week and it really helped as she told me she only went up 3 pounds.

  6. #456

    Default

    i like the idea of stronglifts 5x5, but it seems too good to be true to not work out muscle groups. any experts like it? pelagiu$?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  7. #457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i like the idea of stronglifts 5x5, but it seems too good to be true to not work out muscle groups. any experts like it? pelagiu$?
    Not an expert. Obviously. But I think for most people, it's great. I might change up the sets and reps every now and then, but the exercises and concept are good. Maybe go 5 x 5 for a while and then 3 x 12 and switch around like that. I've gone through a lot of different workouts and diets, and I've pretty much come to this: starve yourself and lift.

    For men over 40 without perfect genes that want to look good for the MILF's at the Spanish Fork pool:

    Diet: If you eat really, really clean and disciplined, you can make it through your day without feeling hungry. Other than that, if you want to have occasional cheat meals and to eat a normal dinner or lunch every couple days, you're probably going to have to feel hungry a lot of the time.

    Workout: Lift. Doesn't really matter what or how many reps or sets, as long as you're not stupid about it. Better to focus on the compound exercises like the Stronglifts, just because most people don't have two hours a day to spend in the gym, and if you're going to hit a large variety of muscles in a short time, the best idea is to do heavy compound exercises.

    Cardio: meh. It's for health not looking fit. Unless you have tons of time, spend your exercise time lifting.

  8. #458
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    25,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Not an expert. Obviously. But I think for most people, it's great. I might change up the sets and reps every now and then, but the exercises and concept are good. Maybe go 5 x 5 for a while and then 3 x 12 and switch around like that. I've gone through a lot of different workouts and diets, and I've pretty much come to this: starve yourself and lift.

    For men over 40 without perfect genes that want to look good for the MILF's at the Spanish Fork pool:Diet: If you eat really, really clean and disciplined, you can make it through your day without feeling hungry. Other than that, if you want to have occasional cheat meals and to eat a normal dinner or lunch every couple days, you're probably going to have to feel hungry a lot of the time.

    Workout: Lift. Doesn't really matter what or how many reps or sets, as long as you're not stupid about it. Better to focus on the compound exercises like the Stronglifts, just because most people don't have two hours a day to spend in the gym, and if you're going to hit a large variety of muscles in a short time, the best idea is to do heavy compound exercises.

    Cardio: meh. It's for health not looking fit. Unless you have tons of time, spend your exercise time lifting.
    Any idea of the effectiveness for the MILFs at other pools?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #459
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Any idea of the effectiveness for the MILFs at other pools?
    This is one of the most effective lifts to impress MILFS

    23rupee4.jpg
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  10. #460
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Cardio: meh. It's for health not looking fit. Unless you have tons of time, spend your exercise time lifting.

  11. #461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Any idea of the effectiveness for the MILFs at other pools?
    Spanish Fork MILFs are the standard. So what works there should work anywhere.

  12. #462
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    43,635

    Default

    This thread is funny.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  13. #463
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Four years ago I lost 80 pounds in about 5 months. I was prepping for a 5k race against a co-worker that I dislike (we previously played a game of 1-on-1 basketball, and it was a hit in the department...I won), so I had a lot of motivation to eat clean and exercise vigorously.

    I went to doctor in August and was pretty discouraged to learn that I'd finally gained all 80 pounds back. In the last month, I've been doing a high-protein/low carb diet. I am not tracking calories, but I've kicked sugary soda (I have a diet soda a few times a week), 4-5 times a day, I eat 3 oz. of lean meat, a slice of cheese, and a vegetable; two of those meals I add an ounce of avocado and tablespoon of salsa. I snack on carrots and celery, and any other vegetable (including pickles) that I don't hate. A few times per week I eat out for work, so I stick to salads and fajitas (no tortillas), and it works out well. In the evening, I'll snag a piece of bread with peanut butter or a banana with peanut butter. Between meals, I'll eat some fruit once every day or less.

    I work out for about 40 minutes on weekdays other than Wednesday. Right now, I'm not getting too crazy. ON Monday I do squats, deadlifts, and lunges; On Tuesday I do upper body (chest, back, shoulders, then either a bicep or tricep lift); on Thursday, I do the leg machines (extensions, leg curls, calf machine); on Friday, I do upper body work, plus some core work and stretching, since I have half-days on Fridays. At the end of each workout, I hit the treadmill on a 6.0 incline alternating walking and jogging.

    Since mid-August, I'm down 20 pounds (just hit that threshold today). I'm pretty stoked. I'm pleased with the 20 pounds, but my goal is two pounds per week. I'm trying to win a marathon (figurative) and be in a spot where I can be at a healthy weight in two years' time.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  14. #464
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    25,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Four years ago I lost 80 pounds in about 5 months. I was prepping for a 5k race against a co-worker that I dislike (we previously played a game of 1-on-1 basketball, and it was a hit in the department...I won), so I had a lot of motivation to eat clean and exercise vigorously.

    I went to doctor in August and was pretty discouraged to learn that I'd finally gained all 80 pounds back. In the last month, I've been doing a high-protein/low carb diet. I am not tracking calories, but I've kicked sugary soda (I have a diet soda a few times a week), 4-5 times a day, I eat 3 oz. of lean meat, a slice of cheese, and a vegetable; two of those meals I add an ounce of avocado and tablespoon of salsa. I snack on carrots and celery, and any other vegetable (including pickles) that I don't hate. A few times per week I eat out for work, so I stick to salads and fajitas (no tortillas), and it works out well. In the evening, I'll snag a piece of bread with peanut butter or a banana with peanut butter. Between meals, I'll eat some fruit once every day or less.

    I work out for about 40 minutes on weekdays other than Wednesday. Right now, I'm not getting too crazy. ON Monday I do squats, deadlifts, and lunges; On Tuesday I do upper body (chest, back, shoulders, then either a bicep or tricep lift); on Thursday, I do the leg machines (extensions, leg curls, calf machine); on Friday, I do upper body work, plus some core work and stretching, since I have half-days on Fridays. At the end of each workout, I hit the treadmill on a 6.0 incline alternating walking and jogging.

    Since mid-August, I'm down 20 pounds (just hit that threshold today). I'm pretty stoked. I'm pleased with the 20 pounds, but my goal is two pounds per week. I'm trying to win a marathon (figurative) and be in a spot where I can be at a healthy weight in two years' time.
    Nice work! I wish I had any kind of motivation to do any kind of exercise/diet regimen for longer than 3 weeks.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  15. #465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Four years ago I lost 80 pounds in about 5 months. I was prepping for a 5k race against a co-worker that I dislike (we previously played a game of 1-on-1 basketball, and it was a hit in the department...I won), so I had a lot of motivation to eat clean and exercise vigorously.

    I went to doctor in August and was pretty discouraged to learn that I'd finally gained all 80 pounds back. In the last month, I've been doing a high-protein/low carb diet. I am not tracking calories, but I've kicked sugary soda (I have a diet soda a few times a week), 4-5 times a day, I eat 3 oz. of lean meat, a slice of cheese, and a vegetable; two of those meals I add an ounce of avocado and tablespoon of salsa. I snack on carrots and celery, and any other vegetable (including pickles) that I don't hate. A few times per week I eat out for work, so I stick to salads and fajitas (no tortillas), and it works out well. In the evening, I'll snag a piece of bread with peanut butter or a banana with peanut butter. Between meals, I'll eat some fruit once every day or less.

    I work out for about 40 minutes on weekdays other than Wednesday. Right now, I'm not getting too crazy. ON Monday I do squats, deadlifts, and lunges; On Tuesday I do upper body (chest, back, shoulders, then either a bicep or tricep lift); on Thursday, I do the leg machines (extensions, leg curls, calf machine); on Friday, I do upper body work, plus some core work and stretching, since I have half-days on Fridays. At the end of each workout, I hit the treadmill on a 6.0 incline alternating walking and jogging.

    Since mid-August, I'm down 20 pounds (just hit that threshold today). I'm pretty stoked. I'm pleased with the 20 pounds, but my goal is two pounds per week. I'm trying to win a marathon (figurative) and be in a spot where I can be at a healthy weight in two years' time.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but bread and bananas are packed with carbs, so are most fruits.
    *Banned*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •