No announcement yet.

Post your diet and workout plans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As of today, I’m down 32, despite a rough 10 day stretch earlier in the Month.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      As of today, I’m down 32, despite a rough 10 day stretch earlier in the Month.
      that is a lot of weight in not a lot of time
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        that is a lot of weight in not a lot of time
        Yeah, I'm pretty surprised. I had two weeks where I lost a total of 1.5 pounds, and then I dropped 8 this last week. I'm assuming it's water retention related, but it still feels good.

Also, when you're as big as I am, it's pretty easy to drop serious weight--especially with a regimented diet and workouts 5-6 times per week.

Comment

• I've been doing the fitness thing for the last several months. I think I posted about falling out of my truck while loading my dirt bike and messing up one of my knees. Between that and a burn from the tailpipe I developed an infection and my leg ballooned. I also have an endema as a result of the knee injury. Prednisone coupled with antibiotics and inactivity caused me to gain 35 lbs on top of the fifty or so I already needed to lose. I'd had it at that point and decided I was getting help getting back into shape. One of my biggest problems in going it alone is I fall into my power lifting roots and end up injuring myself. This causes me to lay off working out so I end up back where I started. Rinse and repeat.

My friend is the membership manager at Lifetime Fitness in South Jordan. For those of you who aren't familiar with Lifetime it's a huge facility that isn't cheap. It's more of a club really and is very nice. They have indoor and outdoor pools with water slides, basketball, racquet ball, more treadmills and other aerobic fitness equipment than I've ever seen in one place, a large strength training area, and every type of yoga/aerobics/spinning/pilates class. They also have a cool outdoor functional area with turf, a mini soccer field, sleds, weights, and basketball courts. They also have very good trainers most of whom have masters degrees in some sort of exercise science. Big T Thurl Bailey even does basketball training there.

I decided I'd join up for a few months, hire one of their fancy trainers, explain my injury issues and past medical history, and hope I could make some headway. I wanted to at least get rid of the 35lbs of prednisone weight. Lifetime isn't cheap and the trainers charge more per hour than your average welder. Everything went well and I really grew to like the place. My trainer switched things up weekly and the weight started to come off. He suggested I join their 60 Day Challenge which is a contest nationwide between all of their facilities. I also joined a team burn class three mornings a week before work.

The biggest emphasis (other than diet) was working out in designated metabolic zones to lose fat. I ended up paying for a Active Metabolic Assessment also known as a V02 Max test. It was interesting to find out what heart rates I should use to focus on different goals. In the afternoon I try to stay in the specific zone for fat loss while in my team burn class it varies. All of this coupled with the lifting workout has caused me to drop the 35lbs I gained during the spring. I'm now working on the next fifty. Another fun thing is that, after a twelve year layoff, I've started playing ice hockey again. I'm now a terrible skater and my stick handling is in the toilet but it's great being back out there and doing something athletic.

My diet is about the same every day. I eat four scrambled eggs, a bagel, and a pint of whole milk for breakfast. I was drinking lowfat milk but they had me switch to whole because they want to reteach my body to burn fat. They don't mind the bagel as it provides some carbs for the rest of the day. For lunch I eat a salad without dressing. I meal prep on Sunday nights with my Traeger typically cooking a couple of chickens spatchcock style to eat for dinner during the week. I also eat one of those microwave bags of veggies for dinner.

The result is that since I started in July I've dropped the 35lbs and feel much better. My leg has shrunk to a normal size and my left leg ( which has an edema going back a decade ) is also shrinking. I've also decided to stay at Lifetime long-term as I feel like the environment is really great and I never have to wait for a piece of equipment. My team burn trainer is also the swimming trainer and has talked me into taking up swimming and is currently teaching me the right way to swim for distance. I run into CB veteran Yardtime occasionally in the pool.

I guess the point of this rambling wreck of a post is that sometimes you just have to knuckle under and spend some dough to try and reach your fitness goals. I feel like the combination of trainers, facility, and diet has been worth every penny and has kept me motivated to keep going. I've still got a good distance to go but I feel better than I have in the last ten years or so. I'm looking forward to how things will be as I keep dropping weight and getting even more strong.

Comment

• Nice work, Shaka. I work out at Lifetime as well (my employer subsidizes the monthly fees so I only pay $20/mo. as long as I go 8x per month).

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Nice work, Shaka. I work out at Lifetime as well (my employer subsidizes the monthly fees so I only pay $20/mo. as long as I go 8x per month).
              The 60 Day Challenges are really cool. I've enjoyed the extra support I've received during the challenge and it has been helpful. You also get a discount on the supplements and the RMA/AMA tests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                My diet is about the same every day. I eat four scrambled eggs, a bagel, and a pint of whole milk for breakfast. I was drinking lowfat milk but they had me switch to whole because they want to reteach my body to burn fat.
                Good job on the weight loss and getting healthier in general. But this part sounds like utter (udder?) BS. In what field does the person who told you this have a masters degree?

Also, "metabolic zones to lose fat" probably isn't making a bit of difference. The vast majority of your weight loss is due to your diet.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• I deadlifted over 2x body weight this morning. Kind of feel like I can fight Pelagius now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    Good job on the weight loss and getting healthier in general. But this part sounds like utter (udder?) BS. In what field does the person who told you this have a masters degree?

Also, "metabolic zones to lose fat" probably isn't making a bit of difference. The vast majority of your weight loss is due to your diet.
                    This one isn't my trainer. It's a nutritionists who also has a masters degree. Both of my trainers concur btw. I've read several articles regarding the eating of healthy fats. A quick search on the google machine brought up this: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whole-m...for-your-diet/

As far as the metabolic zones I'm no expert but I've read a ton of stuff regarding this and from what I can tell they are correct. Even the equipment is set up this way. If you take a peak at the treadmills or bikes at the gym they usually have preprogrammed workouts based around fat loss, cardio fitness, etc.... These programs are based around those metabolic zones. What you're trying to do is get your body to burn fat instead of sugar. Here's another article: https://experiencelife.com/article/a...y-to-burn-fat/

Comment

• Good job Shaka. It's nice to see that you've found something you enjoy and it's working. I see so many guys in the gym trying to get big and I'm afraid most of them are headed down the same road of injury and carrying a lot of extra weight. They move from set to set and they do get big but their is no definition, they aren't fit and the extra size really doesn't carry over into helping them in any other sport.

Comment

• So over the summer I started doing pushups every day. On the first day I could only do 14 in row. Now I'm doing 50.

And I'm up a shirt size from muscle. People who say that pushups don't put on bulk are wrong. The bulk comes slowly, and maybe it tops out, but it does come.

And my chest and shoulders are cut like the haven't been in 20 years. And I think my core is stronger and my waist might be slimming.

Pushups rock.
                        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                          So over the summer I started doing pushups every day. On the first day I could only do 14 in row. Now I'm doing 50.

And I'm up a shirt size from muscle. People who say that pushups don't put on bulk are wrong. The bulk comes slowly, and maybe it tops out, but it does come.

And my chest and shoulders are cut like the haven't been in 20 years. And I think my core is stronger and my waist might be slimming.

Pushups rock.
                          That's great. Do you do just the one set each day?
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I would love to know your routine as well. I haven't had much luck just doing pushups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              That's great. Do you do just the one set each day?
                              I started that way, but now I do additional sets of 10 when the opportunity arises. I'm probably doing 70-80 push ups a day, with 50 of those being in one uninterrupted set.
                              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• You know there's been a paradigm shift in the diet/fitness injury when your nutritionist tells you that you're not eating enough fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X