Post your diet and workout plans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your diet and workout plans here

This is the Jay Santos Zigzag Diet Plan.

I kind of made up this plan a couple years ago and thought I was really smart, and then realized it was already known and called a variation of a "Zigzag" diet plan.

This diet has been very successful for me. I'm pretty sure Pelagius would (rightly) call everything I'm about to say here as "bro science" but I've read enough of these principles over and over I tend to believe them.

Summary:
    eat in calorie deficit weekdays
    eat in calorie surplus weekends
    lift heavier on the weekend matching your high calorie days

Goal:
    lose weight while maximizing the fat vs muscle loss and even gain muscle while losing fat

Sample details:
    Let's say my BMR (google to find online calculators) is 2300 calories a day.
    On weekdays, target 1800 calories a day, with 500 burned in a workout, for a total deficit of 1000 calories per day (-3500 = one lb)
    On weekends, target 3300 calories a day, with 500 burned in a workout, for total surplus of 500 calories per day
    Net weight loss = ((1000 * 5) + (-500 * 2))/3500 = 1.14 lbs per week.
    You can tweak any of those variables for desired results, ie more loss per week or less loss per week, or even net loss of 0 which would be done with the purpose of converting fat to muscle with no change in weight

Calorie breakout:
    Always high in protein either deficit or surplus day. Get 1 g per body weight in protein. So if I weigh 200 lbs, that's 200 g of protein.
    That leaves 1,000 calories on a deficit day, which will be mostly all fat.
    For surplus day, I switch it, and make most all the extra calories come from carbs

Workout:

Set your workout plan so your heaviest days coincide with the big calorie days. I recommend lifting weights, heavy compound exercises in the 5-18 rep range. I change things up but the one I'm doing right now which I like the best is. Weekend: low rep for strength, 5 reps, longer workouts with the added energy from calories. Saturday: chest, shoulders, tri's. Sunday: legs, back, bi's. Mon/Fri rest. cardio only. Tue-Th: high rep, circuit style, more of a fat burn workout, shorter workout. Tue: chest,shoulder,tri, Wed: legs, Thur: back,bi's.

Logic:

Why the surplus days? Why not just stay on calorie deficit?:
    1. resets your metabolism, if you don't do this, you're in danger of your metabolism getting slower and slower and not burning enough calories to sustain weight loss over a long diet
    2. easier for me to stay disciplined when I'm in a work routine then when i'm home or out and about on the weekends

Calories being mostly fat on deficit days:
    1. I find it more enjoyable and easier to stay satiated with a low carb diet than a low fat diet.
    2. Mixes in principles of Keto diets.

Calories being mostly carb on surplus days:
    1. Muscle needs protein and carb to build, so you're giving yourself best chance to gain muscle
    2. Keto diets require carbing up on occasion

Just finished my first month back at the gym. We started a new workout last week that my workout partner's trainer gave him to help me get back to where I was.

Mon - Legs. Tues - Chest and Tris. Wed - Back and Bis. Thurs - Legs. Fri - Chest and Tris. Sat - Back and Bis. Sun - Off.

We lift for about a 60-90 mins and then do cardio for 30 minutes. The cardio isn't strenuous, don't want to go catabolic. I usually do the stair stepper for 30 minutes on level 4 (~50-55 steps/min) while sucking down protein.

The workout starts 4x20 for everything with the 20th rep being one that should require assistance from a spotter. It is grueling. That was week 1, we're on week 2 which is 4x15. Last night's workout:

4x15 - Dumbbell press and overhead tricep extensions - Super Set
    4x15 - Cable flys and wide grip push ups - Super Set (if you can't do 15 pushups then you drop to girl pushups and if you can't do that then do as many as you can).
    4x15 - Tricep pull downs with a rope.
    7x15 - Incline bench

My triceps this morning are toast. That workout is tough. My workout partner started off with 105lb dumbbells for his first set of the first exercise and by the last two sets on incline could only do the 45lb bar. Leg days are the worst though. Last week doing 4x20 felt like not having ever done a squat before. Every week we go down until we'll be doing 4x6. Hopefully I am back to pushing my old weight again by then.

I eat a lot.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Just finished my first month back at the gym. We started a new workout last week that my workout partner's trainer gave him to help me get back to where I was.

Mon - Legs. Tues - Chest and Tris. Wed - Back and Bis. Thurs - Legs. Fri - Chest and Tris. Sat - Back and Bis. Sun - Off.

We lift for about a 60-90 mins and then do cardio for 30 minutes. The cardio isn't strenuous, don't want to go catabolic. I usually do the stair stepper for 30 minutes on level 4 (~50-55 steps/min) while sucking down protein.

The workout starts 4x20 for everything with the 20th rep being one that should require assistance from a spotter. It is grueling. That was week 1, we're on week 2 which is 4x15. Last night's workout:

4x15 - Dumbbell press and overhead tricep extensions - Super Set
      4x15 - Cable flys and wide grip push ups - Super Set (if you can't do 15 pushups then you drop to girl pushups and if you can't do that then do as many as you can).
      4x15 - Tricep pull downs with a rope.
      7x15 - Incline bench

My triceps this morning are toast. That workout is tough. My workout partner started off with 105lb dumbbells for his first set of the first exercise and by the last two sets on incline could only do the 45lb bar. Leg days are the worst though. Last week doing 4x20 felt like not having ever done a squat before. Every week we go down until we'll be doing 4x6. Hopefully I am back to pushing my old weight again by then.

I eat a lot.
      4 x 15's with 105's? :yikes:

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        4 x 15's with 105's? :yikes:
        Yes. That is my workout partner and what I am working up to. He didn't do 4 sets of that though. I think on his 4th set he was doing 85s.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

This is what I've been doing for the past few months.

Mon - Run home from work
          Tues - Lift
          Wed - Run home from work
          Thurs - Run home from work
          Fri - Nothing
          Sat - Long run
          Sun - Lift

My runs home from work are around 4.5 miles. Long runs on Saturday I've been trying to hit between 15-17. My lifting days are one day shoulders, lats, tris, and the other chest, bis, tris -- usually takes me around an hour. I realize I'm not lifting enough to do much, but it feels better than not lifting at all. Diet for the first time I've actually started paying attention to. I was getting too old and putting on too much weight not to. I graduated school a few years back at around 180, but sitting at a desk for the last few years has taken its toll and I topped out around 203. Decided I really needed to start losing weight in the spring, so I've been watching that -- nothing fancy, just keeping an eye on calories and trying to hit 1,500-2,000 a day Sun-Thurs. I shoot for 200-300 for breakfast, 500-700 for lunch, and then with whatever I eat for dinner it's pretty easy to stay in that range. Fri and Sat I don't worry as much about it since we're usually going out. Anyway, checked in at 172 at the gym this past Sunday and feeling pretty good.

Hoping to keep up this schedule, but it gets harder to run as much around here in the winter when it gets soggy and the sun is going down so early. I'm thinking I'll probably drop a day of running and pick up a day of lifting during late fall/winter.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I've lost 14 pounds from my all-time historic high of 213 pounds in February.

My gym is in my building which makes a big difference but the key, I've noticed, to shedding the pounds, has been running up the 28 flights when I'm done. Not so much "running" (that stops after 8 or 9 flights) as gasping, doubling over and nearly dying then staggering a few more steps. At least that's how it used to be, now I'm actually able to breathe and talk normally when I get to the top.
            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

What time do you work out? Two hours a day at the gym is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                What time do you work out? Two hours a day at the gym is impressive.
                I am at the gym from 7:30-9:30 at night.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  \Anyway, checked in at 172 at the gym this past Sunday and feeling pretty good.
                  That's impressive. That's pretty close to my pre-law-school weight. I always have intentions of getting back there but I can't ever find the motivation and/or time.

When you run home from work do you just leave your clothes at the office and take them home the next day? How does that work?
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    That's impressive. That's pretty close to my pre-law-school weight. I always have intentions of getting back there but I can't ever find the motivation and/or time.

When you run home from work do you just leave your clothes at the office and take them home the next day? How does that work?
                    I have a small backpack I shove them in and wear when I run.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I am at the gym from 7:30-9:30 at night.
                      How do you get out of the night time routine with the wifey and kids?
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                        How do you get out of the night time routine with the wifey and kids?
                        Gidget got tired of being married to a fatty. Plus with the girls all having their own rooms now they go down pretty easily.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Gidget got tired of being married to a fatty. Plus with the girls all having their own rooms now they go down pretty easily.
                          nice. Keep up the good work. I think this time around I am going to start lifting weights as well as run. I just find it hard to motivate and push myself when lifting alone in the garage. I am going to have to figure it out though, as it is my only option right now.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                            nice. Keep up the good work. I think this time around I am going to start lifting weights as well as run. I just find it hard to motivate and push myself when lifting alone in the garage. I am going to have to figure it out though, as it is my only option right now.
                            I lift alone. What motivates me is keeping track of my progress and trying to push through to new records.

Comment

I don't count calories but I avoid sugar, eat a good breakfast and try not to eat too many hamburgers. I do 45 minutes of exercise 6 days a week (lifting weights and/or running) early in the morning. I'm now 160 lbs of muscular and raw sexual energy, down from a lot more than that six months ago. PM me if you'd like pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X