No announcement yet.

The Ensign addresses sarcasm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all sarcasm is created equally. There's good natured sarcasm, and there's mean sarcasm. And, as Indy has learned, there can be too much of it. It's a lesson I've had to learn as well. Also, not everyone gets sarcasm, so my own sarcasticity changes depending on who I'm dealing with.

Comment

Basically says don't be a dick. Revelatory.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
        Basically says don't be a dick. Revelatory.
        Yeah. Her point is fine. But she loses it completely by misrepresenting how sarcasm is used in our society. Sarcasm is used to insult and compliment. It's almost a neutral form of communication how wide spread it is in today's society.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          This explains why I can go about my life making decisions on my own and saps like jay santos have to spend all day praying about marriage, missions, etc.
          OK...

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Not all sarcasm is created equally. There's good natured sarcasm, and there's mean sarcasm. And, as Indy has learned, there can be too much of it. It's a lesson I've had to learn as well. Also, not everyone gets sarcasm, so my own sarcasticity changes depending on who I'm dealing with.
            Good post. I agree. Sometimes we confuse sarcasm and irony, which can be pretty good-natured. I think this is a good articulation of the difference:

Though "irony" and "sarcasm" are both ways of saying one thing and meaning another, they go about it in different ways. Sarcasm is broader and more deliberate in its reversal of meanings; irony may be, and in literature generally is, very fine. It is basically a difference of degree. Sarcasm is really the use of irony with the added intention to mock, ridicule or express contempt.

Examples:

1) Someone saying "It's such lovely weather outside!" when it's actually raining heavily (irony).
            2) Someone saying "Your intelligence astounds me!" when they actually mean the exact opposite, i.e. that the person is stupid (sarcasm).
            http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4052714AAgz288

Irony can easily be just having a good sense of humor and wit. Sarcasm, to my mind at least, has an element of meanness in it. I read the Ensign article to be about that type of sarcasm.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

You guys are screwed. Sarcasm has been the vehicle for a lot of mean things said here over the years and it would be nice to see some changes.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Irony can easily be just having a good sense of humor and wit. Sarcasm, to my mind at least, has an element of meanness in it. I read the Ensign article to be about that type of sarcasm.
                Much of the disagreement people have with regards to sarcasm likely boils down to semantics. And maybe you're right about irony and sarcasm.

We make fun of each other at work using sarcasm. However, there's a line that can be crossed in both quality and quantity. Delivery is probably the key in striking the balance of quality.

Some people are not open to being made fun of, so you can't be sarcastic with them. They take it too personally. Sensitivity is one of the more important traits in order to develop strong interpersonal skills. A sensitive person knows how to properly use sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Much of the disagreement people have with regards to sarcasm likely boils down to semantics. And maybe you're right about irony and sarcasm.

We make fun of each other at work using sarcasm. However, there's a line that can be crossed in both quality and quantity. Delivery is probably the key in striking the balance of quality.

Some people are not open to being made fun of, so you can't be sarcastic with them. They take it too personally. Sensitivity is one of the more important traits in order to develop strong interpersonal skills. A sensitive person knows how to properly use sarcasm.
                  Agreed.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    This article rings true. I discovered early on that my heretofore sarcastic ways had to go if my wife was going to hang around.
                    It depends upon nature and degree. Irony used effectively can be self-effacing and an ice-breaker.

I remember a line in GC, when somebody was speaking of GBH. "I have never noticed President Hinckley sleeping in one of those long meetings."

To which the rejoinder was, "Not while I was awake."

Some might view that as sarcastic and hence damaging. The article is a turd.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I like the way the church is heading. Getting rid of the deadwood, and now getting rid of light minded goodtimers. I suspect that over the next few generations we'll be able to breed a superior form of personage that will not be susceptible to sin or a good time.
                      Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

How awesome would it be if LDS.org added comment sections to their articles?

Not sure if that falls under "sarcasm" or not.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            You guys are screwed. Sarcasm has been the vehicle for a lot of mean things said here over the years and it would be nice to see some changes.
                            Oh, yeah, I forgot you're the expert.

Comment

Do people know when it is playful and when enough is enough. I had companion I mentioned on here impossible to get along with. Loved to torment than said learn when people are just playing with you. Abuse is not playing with someone it is abuse. He went on more tradeoffs than he was supposed too with other missionary who had major nervous breakdown. Once as district went to mall on Saturday night instead of proselate and insisted I back them out would not leave until I got out of the car and took off numerous times. Ignored me. Did not know when enough was enough. Complained about not getting half of what was given when he ate slow but thought I was a baby because I would not use phone book yellow pages for tp needed to be a man.

Some teasing is ok and good I think just need to learn when enough is enough and when to stop and some people don't. Blond jokes are fun if you are not blond. I know a few people that tell jokes about people of different race too. That is not funny to them. Repeatedly putting people down telling them they are stupid than saying I was just kidding umpteen times can be sarcastic they are talking about. Teasing in good taste is helpful just learn when enough is enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X