Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 52

Thread: Chile roasting at Harmon's

  1. #1

    Default Chile roasting at Harmon's

    One of the greatest things about mid to late-August is the yearly arrival of chile roasting at Harmon's grocery stores.

    The past year of having a good supply of Hatch New Mexico green chile has been great. Green Chile Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust and Walnut Streusel, green chile enchiladas, huevos rancheros, and green chile stew have been great this year. The enchiladas and pie being the best of the bunch. I was a little too judicious and had some left, but that just means that I can make more over the next year.

    I highly recommend picking up a bushel. I'll be getting mine today.

    http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/blog/2...iles-are-back/
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  2. #2

    Default

    Damnit, I swear I posted this in the Diner.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  3. #3
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Damnit, I swear I posted this in the Diner.
    Fixed.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    One of the greatest things about mid to late-August is the yearly arrival of chile roasting at Harmon's grocery stores.

    The past year of having a good supply of Hatch New Mexico green chile has been great. Green Chile Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust and Walnut Streusel, green chile enchiladas, huevos rancheros, and green chile stew have been great this year. The enchiladas and pie being the best of the bunch. I was a little too judicious and had some left, but that just means that I can make more over the next year.

    I highly recommend picking up a bushel. I'll be getting mine today.

    http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/blog/2...iles-are-back/
    Thanks for posting. This sounds great.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  5. #5
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Where is McClain when you need him?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  6. #6

    Default

    They do this at Smiths too. 25 pound box for $25. They roast them while you wait. Seriously, they are awesome.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Where is McClain when you need him?
    He's somewhere in New Mexico...smothered with green chiles.

  8. #8
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    How many lbs. in a bushel? Anyone want to hook a brother up and get me a bushel or two? I'll be in Utah the 31st-8th and can pick them up then. I never see them around here.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  9. #9

    Default

    26 pounds

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  10. #10
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Just looked around online and one of our local albertsons had a roasting event on Aug. 10th.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    How many lbs. in a bushel? Anyone want to hook a brother up and get me a bushel or two? I'll be in Utah the 31st-8th and can pick them up then. I never see them around here.

    I can hook you up.

  12. #12
    Somewhat Idahoan Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Sweet!
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  13. #13
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    Do you vacuum pack and freeze them? Because I would like 2 bushels also.

    I have a big ass ice chest I can bring up if that is the case.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Do you vacuum pack and freeze them? Because I would like 2 bushels also.

    I have a big ass ice chest I can bring up if that is the case.
    That's what I would do. I can get you some also.

  15. #15
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    That's what I would do. I can get you some also.
    Sweet. Put me down for 2 bushels. Let me know how much your vacuum packing fees are also.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Do you vacuum pack and freeze them? Because I would like 2 bushels also.

    I have a big ass ice chest I can bring up if that is the case.
    I can also hook up the Tick or Drunk Tank, but it sounds like things are covered. I did freeze them, but didn't vacuum pack and they were fine throughout the year. I'm sure vacuum pack would be slightly better, but I haven't had any problems.

    Even though it will be a ton of work, this year I'm planning of de-seeding them, de-veining them, and chopping them up prior to freezing. I didn't use them in anything that didn't require them to be chopped up.

    If you get them, these 2 recipes are a must.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917450.html
    I make a few modifications to this one. I use a french oven for the whole process. I use bone-in with skin chicken thighs. I use olive oil in the pan and brown the chicken thighs. I take them out and go through the recipe until the point where it you have everything together. At that point, I put the chicken thighs back in the pot. Bring to a boil and put in the oven to slow cook. Depending on how long it will be in, I cook at anywhere from 225 to 275. The longer it cooks the more you pull out the green chile flavor. One done, pull out the chicken thighs and continue on with the recipe as listed, with the exception that I've never poured more chicken stock on top.

    Really this is my go-to green chile sauce. It is basically good on anything. Eggs in particular are very good with this sauce. This year, I may make a large batch of the sauce and freeze it.

    This recipe needs no modifications whatsoever.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/di...rex2.html?_r=0

    Landpoke's pork green chile stew recipe is also really good. It is very similar to the enchiladas and I tend to prefer it. I'm thinking one of my next efforts is going to be a hybrid of the 2 recipes for pork green chile enchiladas.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  17. #17
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    They do this at Smiths too. 25 pound box for $25. They roast them while you wait. Seriously, they are awesome.
    They've been doing this outside my local Smiths the last week. I had no idea what I would do with roasted Hatch chiles (and I still don't).
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    They've been doing this outside my local Smiths the last week. I had no idea what I would do with roasted Hatch chiles (and I still don't).
    Green chile enchiladas
    Pork green chile stew
    Green chile apple pie
    Huevos rancheros
    Green chile cheeseburgers
    Pizza topping
    Navajo tacos


    Hatch New Mexico green chiles are magical and are good on many things.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  19. #19
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Even though it will be a ton of work, this year I'm planning of de-seeding them, de-veining them, and chopping them up prior to freezing. I didn't use them in anything that didn't require them to be chopped up.
    I get mine pre-processed in this manner from my amigos in the ABQ.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I get mine pre-processed in this manner from my amigos in the ABQ.
    I would love to do that, but the cost is so much higher that I have to rely on my own hard work. I looked into having them shipped and I think it was in the $100+ range. I don't have any ABQ locals that can get it done for me.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  21. #21
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I would love to do that, but the cost is so much higher that I have to rely on my own hard work. I looked into having them shipped and I think it was in the $100+ range. I don't have any ABQ locals that can get it done for me.
    The ABQ costco sells them cheap. They are chopped, deseeded, and vacuum sealed in small packages and then frozen. They just throw a bunch in a big cooler every time they drive up here. I have an obscene amount in my freezer.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The ABQ costco sells them cheap. They are chopped, deseeded, and vacuum sealed in small packages and then frozen. They just throw a bunch in a big cooler every time they drive up here. I have an obscene amount in my freezer.
    Damn, I really need an ABQ hook-up.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  23. #23
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    If mpfunk is as right about this as he has been about Lebron James, I have to run to Harmon's and pick some up.

    Which heat profile is the preferred one? Can you mix and match to total a bushel, as long as they keep them separated when you buy them? I'd like some hot ones for chili or enchiladas but I would assume hot ones aren't good for apple pie.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    If mpfunk is as right about this as he has been about Lebron James, I have to run to Harmon's and pick some up.

    Which heat profile is the preferred one? Can you mix and match to total a bushel, as long as they keep them separated when you buy them? I'd like some hot ones for chili or enchiladas but I would assume hot ones aren't good for apple pie.
    Hot are perfectly fine for the pie. It gives a nice kick and isn't overpowering. If you want multiple levels of heat you will need to buy more than 1 bushel.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  25. #25
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Hot are perfectly fine for the pie. It gives a nice kick and isn't overpowering. If you want multiple levels of heat you will need to buy more than 1 bushel.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    1 bushel seems like a lot of peppers. Im not used to buying a bushel of anything. A peck? no problem, all day long. A bushel? no way. major commitment.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  26. #26

    Default

    I'm cursed. Orem they ran out of propane. No worries I'm heading to Murray anyway. Waiting at South Jordan and the barrel just broke down.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'm cursed. Orem they ran out of propane. No worries I'm heading to Murray anyway. Waiting at South Jordan and the barrel just broke down.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Roaster is fixed. My chiles are next to be roasted.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  28. #28
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,925

    Default

    They do this at my Wegman's every year too. Imported hatch chiles from New Mexico.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  29. #29

    Default

    By the way, yesterday they indicated that they will be doing chile roasting for about 5 weeks. However, they will probably only have the hatch chiles for about 3-4 weeks and at that point they will be selling Utah chiles, which isn't worth it.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  30. #30

    Default

    It is that magical time of year again when they get the Hatch New Mexico green chile in at Harmon's. Chile roasting starts on 8/15. DDD don't make the same mistake that you made last year and miss out on a year of apple-green chile pie, green chile enchiladas, green chile stew, and green chile for eggs.

    I know that Orem and the South Jordan stores will have them.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •