Chile roasting at Harmon's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    Do you vacuum pack and freeze them? Because I would like 2 bushels also.

I have a big ass ice chest I can bring up if that is the case.
    I can also hook up the Tick or Drunk Tank, but it sounds like things are covered. I did freeze them, but didn't vacuum pack and they were fine throughout the year. I'm sure vacuum pack would be slightly better, but I haven't had any problems.

Even though it will be a ton of work, this year I'm planning of de-seeding them, de-veining them, and chopping them up prior to freezing. I didn't use them in anything that didn't require them to be chopped up.

If you get them, these 2 recipes are a must.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917450.html
    I make a few modifications to this one. I use a french oven for the whole process. I use bone-in with skin chicken thighs. I use olive oil in the pan and brown the chicken thighs. I take them out and go through the recipe until the point where it you have everything together. At that point, I put the chicken thighs back in the pot. Bring to a boil and put in the oven to slow cook. Depending on how long it will be in, I cook at anywhere from 225 to 275. The longer it cooks the more you pull out the green chile flavor. One done, pull out the chicken thighs and continue on with the recipe as listed, with the exception that I've never poured more chicken stock on top.

Really this is my go-to green chile sauce. It is basically good on anything. Eggs in particular are very good with this sauce. This year, I may make a large batch of the sauce and freeze it.

This recipe needs no modifications whatsoever.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/di...rex2.html?_r=0

Landpoke's pork green chile stew recipe is also really good. It is very similar to the enchiladas and I tend to prefer it. I'm thinking one of my next efforts is going to be a hybrid of the 2 recipes for pork green chile enchiladas.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      They do this at Smiths too. 25 pound box for $25. They roast them while you wait. Seriously, they are awesome.
      They've been doing this outside my local Smiths the last week. I had no idea what I would do with roasted Hatch chiles (and I still don't).
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        They've been doing this outside my local Smiths the last week. I had no idea what I would do with roasted Hatch chiles (and I still don't).
        Green chile enchiladas
        Pork green chile stew
        Green chile apple pie
        Huevos rancheros
        Green chile cheeseburgers
        Pizza topping
        Navajo tacos

Hatch New Mexico green chiles are magical and are good on many things.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          Even though it will be a ton of work, this year I'm planning of de-seeding them, de-veining them, and chopping them up prior to freezing. I didn't use them in anything that didn't require them to be chopped up.
          I get mine pre-processed in this manner from my amigos in the ABQ.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I get mine pre-processed in this manner from my amigos in the ABQ.
            I would love to do that, but the cost is so much higher that I have to rely on my own hard work. I looked into having them shipped and I think it was in the $100+ range. I don't have any ABQ locals that can get it done for me.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I would love to do that, but the cost is so much higher that I have to rely on my own hard work. I looked into having them shipped and I think it was in the $100+ range. I don't have any ABQ locals that can get it done for me.
              The ABQ costco sells them cheap. They are chopped, deseeded, and vacuum sealed in small packages and then frozen. They just throw a bunch in a big cooler every time they drive up here. I have an obscene amount in my freezer.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                The ABQ costco sells them cheap. They are chopped, deseeded, and vacuum sealed in small packages and then frozen. They just throw a bunch in a big cooler every time they drive up here. I have an obscene amount in my freezer.
                Damn, I really need an ABQ hook-up.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

If mpfunk is as right about this as he has been about Lebron James, I have to run to Harmon's and pick some up.

Which heat profile is the preferred one? Can you mix and match to total a bushel, as long as they keep them separated when you buy them? I'd like some hot ones for chili or enchiladas but I would assume hot ones aren't good for apple pie.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    If mpfunk is as right about this as he has been about Lebron James, I have to run to Harmon's and pick some up.

Which heat profile is the preferred one? Can you mix and match to total a bushel, as long as they keep them separated when you buy them? I'd like some hot ones for chili or enchiladas but I would assume hot ones aren't good for apple pie.
                    Hot are perfectly fine for the pie. It gives a nice kick and isn't overpowering. If you want multiple levels of heat you will need to buy more than 1 bushel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Hot are perfectly fine for the pie. It gives a nice kick and isn't overpowering. If you want multiple levels of heat you will need to buy more than 1 bushel.

1 bushel seems like a lot of peppers. Im not used to buying a bushel of anything. A peck? no problem, all day long. A bushel? no way. major commitment.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I'm cursed. Orem they ran out of propane. No worries I'm heading to Murray anyway. Waiting at South Jordan and the barrel just broke down.

--Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'm cursed. Orem they ran out of propane. No worries I'm heading to Murray anyway. Waiting at South Jordan and the barrel just broke down.

Roaster is fixed. My chiles are next to be roasted.

--Kendrick Lamar

Comment

They do this at my Wegman's every year too. Imported hatch chiles from New Mexico.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

By the way, yesterday they indicated that they will be doing chile roasting for about 5 weeks. However, they will probably only have the hatch chiles for about 3-4 weeks and at that point they will be selling Utah chiles, which isn't worth it.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

It is that magical time of year again when they get the Hatch New Mexico green chile in at Harmon's. Chile roasting starts on 8/15. DDD don't make the same mistake that you made last year and miss out on a year of apple-green chile pie, green chile enchiladas, green chile stew, and green chile for eggs.

I know that Orem and the South Jordan stores will have them.
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X