Chile roasting at Harmon's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    It is that magical time of year again when they get the Hatch New Mexico green chile in at Harmon's. Chile roasting starts on 8/15. DDD don't make the same mistake that you made last year and miss out on a year of apple-green chile pie, green chile enchiladas, green chile stew, and green chile for eggs.

I know that Orem and the South Jordan stores will have them.
    I wont make that mistake. a few weeks ago I mentioned to friends that I had regretted not heeding your advice. I was making some chile verde and desperately needed some hatch.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      It is that magical time of year again when they get the Hatch New Mexico green chile in at Harmon's. Chile roasting starts on 8/15. DDD don't make the same mistake that you made last year and miss out on a year of apple-green chile pie, green chile enchiladas, green chile stew, and green chile for eggs.

I know that Orem and the South Jordan stores will have them.
      Do you know how many days they are doing it? Can't seem to find it on the website.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

If any SoCal CSers are interested:

http://www.albertsons.com/2014/07/no...res-in-so-cal/

http://www.bristolfarms.com/promo/ha...e-roasting.php

http://www.elreyonline.com/dates.html
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Do you know how many days they are doing it? Can't seem to find it on the website.
          Last year they roasted them for about 5 weeks, but only the first 3 weeks were hatch chiles. I would suggest getting there in the first 2 weeks. I plan on picking mine up this Friday.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

im reading this thread and it seems to make more sense to buy from ABQ costco. all the work is already done. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

sigpic

Comment

HEB in texas is roasting up some Hatch green Chiles right now too.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                im reading this thread and it seems to make more sense to buy from ABQ costco. all the work is already done. Am I looking at this the wrong way?
                I think it's just a matter of cost/time/effort. Somebody can probably buy 30 lbs. of roasted chiles that are ready to peel from a local store for a little over $1/lb. They then need to peel, seed, dice if desired, and freeze. The other extreme is ordering roasted, seeded, diced, frozen chiles from a website like Hatch Chile Express for $10-$15/lb. I don't know what the cost is at ABQC, but it's probably somewhere in between the two extremes. Also, the ability to get the chiles from ABQ to a person's kitchen will vary by individual.

I'm leaning toward buying some to roast myself at home. I'd like to see how the kamado does with roasting peppers. If I like the flavor and results, then maybe I go bigger next time.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

http://www.wnyc.org/story/scientists...-mexico-chile/
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

i bought some hatch from Harmons this year when they were doing the roasting. way overrated. meh.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      i bought some hatch from Harmons this year when they were doing the roasting. way overrated. meh.
                      What if you had a hot peperoncini? I bet you'd love munching on those while eating a sandwich on a Saturday afternoon.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Just picked up some roasted hatch chiles.

Best recipes using these tasty morsels?

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

Anything, I've read here that there is never a time to use any other ingredient.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Got our first bushel last year. I mainly use them in scrambled eggs. I came to really love them and I ran out a month or two ago. Can't wait to restock.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Just called Harmons in Orem. Chiles arriving next Friday.

Comment

Was that at HEB? Has hatch green chile days started already? I will return and report.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X