Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a female tried to get into the priesthood session of GC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a decent little article that lays out the drive among Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim women for more leadership roles in their congregations. No mention of LDS.

http://www.phikappaphi.org/forum/spr...spring2014.pdf

A few selections:

The religious communities that most fiercely reject women's religious leadership tend to be especially ambivalent about the modern commitment to individualism, a trend critics view as a threat to the family.
    As men were encouraged to pursue their own individual interests in the marketplace and cultivate an ethic of toughness and self-reliance [in the late 18th and 19th centuries], women were encouraged to devote themselves to preserving the traditional religious virtues of humility, charity, self-sacrifice, and nurture. Women, in other words, were expected to soothe the ills of the modern world by standing apart from it. . . . It can be easier to defend "the way things have always been" (even if "always" dates only to the late 18th and 19th centuries) than to imagine alternative ways of thinking about gender, work, family, and religion.
    Since women (particularly mothers) are elevated as symbols of selfless love, it is not surprising that conservative religious communities can sound contradictory about female religious leadership, stressing women's piety while refusing to allow them into the pulpit. Many detractors seem to fear that if women become like men - become priests, imams, ministers, or rabbis - women will no longer stand as witnesses against the corrosive forces of modernity. . . . The more a religious group rebuffs modernity, the more likely it is to place restrictions on women's religious leadership.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Fascinating Solon
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Sorry SU, Sooner and So long but the only way Mormonism will die is when the great Jehovah shall say "the work is done." I'm a bit unclear as to what happens after that but when I find out I'll drop by the middle TK and fill you all in.
        Had the LDS Church not repealed the priesthood ban none of you would be members now. You wouldn't be able to be members and feed your families. The LDS church would be more inconsequential and hated than Scientology. Now opposing gay marriage is regarded about like opposing interracial marriage.

http://nyti.ms/1e11JiA
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Had the LDS Church not repealed the priesthood ban none of you would be members now. You wouldn't be able to be members and feed your families. The LDS church would be more inconsequential and hated than Scientology. Now opposing gay marriage is regarded about like opposing interracial marriage.

If wishes were horses then beggars could ride. The ban was rescinded. And the LDS Church will evolve, not quickly but it will. Your hatred for the LDS Church will not cause it it to disappear. It will continue to be.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• And it will continue to be awesome!
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              If wishes were horses then beggars could ride. The ban was rescinded. And the LDS Church will evolve, not quickly but it will. Your hatred for the LDS Church will not cause it it to disappear. It will continue to be.
              You aren't listening to Dallin Oaks, cougjunkie, and the guy in Sooner's Youtube. They want people like you urging evolution and reform the hell out of the LDS church. It's turning inward. It's radicalizing and playing small ball.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You aren't listening to Dallin Oaks, cougjunkie, and the guy in Sooner's Youtube. They want people like you urging evolution and reform the hell out of the LDS church. It's turning inward. It's radicalizing and playing small ball.
                It will change.. They are merely preaching to a small choir.

Comment

• Ordain Women mini documentary...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

LOL, if the big bang didn't happen we all wouldn't be members of the church either. Any other insightful "if this hadn't happened" theories? Maybe you could start a thread.

Comment

That guy reads CS....and seems to be a big fan of DDD:

Even beyond these circles, the debate is essentially over, in the sense that the trajectory is immutable and the conclusion foregone. Everybody knows it, even the people who still try to stand in the way. The legalization of same-sex marriage from north to south and coast to coast is merely a matter of time, probably not much of it at that.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• http://www.thebunyion.com/2014/04/07...ains-momentum/

The group is composed of more than two hundred children ages four to eleven. Six-year-old Timmy Johnson of the Bountiful 8th Ward leads the group. His mother whispered in his ear as he released this statement:

“I know that children can have the priesthood. I know Jesus loves kids more than grown-ups. I love my mother and father and sisters and brothers and dogs. Nameofjesuschristamen.”
                        I find this article hilarious even with its mocking tone.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          http://www.thebunyion.com/2014/04/07...ains-momentum/

I find this article hilarious even with its mocking tone.
                          And just to show they mock both sides:

http://www.thebunyion.com/2014/04/04...ian-apostates/

Narrow-Minded Woman Refuses to Believe that Ordain Women Group are Unchristian Apostates

SALT LAKE CITY—Sources report that friends have “completely given up” on 26-year-old Rebecca O’Donnell, an Ordain Women supporter, as she continually defends the “lunatic fringe” group.

“I’ve been to the meetings, made a profile, and even participated in the wait for priesthood tickets. I think this group can really make a positive change in the Mormon and Christian communities,” said O’Donnell, who friends note must be deranged to think a group of people advocating equality and compassion could be considered Christian.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• That first one is hilarious. The second one offends me.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Last edited by UVACoug; 04-09-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                That first one is hilarious. The second one offends me.
                                A follow up:

http://www.thebunyion.com/2014/04/08...al-conference/
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X