Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a female tried to get into the priesthood session of GC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first couple years of my marriage, MJ would always ask me what they talked about at PH session. I don't have a great attention span so I struggle with conference, especially PH session, so I rarely get much out of it. Since I really didn't remember I'd just tell her stuff like "they said if we got 100% home teaching we only have to pay 8% tithing" or "they're bringing back polygamy". She was never amused by this so she pressed even further hoping for a real answer, to which I jokingly responded "if they wanted you to know then they would have invited you."

Now she doesn't ask anymore and simply watches the video shortly after the broadcast.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

My wife watched the PH session from April, but I didn't.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I would think there would be no problem. Back in the early 70's (before the church was enlightened), my ward in Los Altos had two or three women attending Elders Quorum. All three of them later joined up with the women in the ward who everyone thought was a god send for the youth and she became the prophetess of her own church.

I guess they didn't get much out of Elders Quorum meetings. I myself kept thinking their husbands should have put their foot down and made them go to Relief Society.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          LOL...Should I stay or should I go now?
          exactly, the winning party was worried that they would Clash too much with more orthodox Mormons.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

If they attend, they better as hell wear white tops/blouses. If they are serious about getting the PH then they at least should wear the official uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
              Any woman can watch priesthood any time they want in any stake center. Unless some over zealous HP tries to stop them, they might get weird looks, and they will sit down and be bored like 98% of the rest. There are no signs or anything at the conference center during priesthood, so I imagine the same rule would apply.
              Seriously, while I too have the option, I feel guilty if I don't go. Also I have heard ward priesthood meeting attendance is required like Sacrament meeting is. Is RS a required meeting for women?

I am absolutely sure if the shoe were on the other foot and women had the Priesthood and men didn't, I wouldn't give a second thought to wanting the Priesthood. As a matter of fact, I might lead a protest for men to have the same guilt free option of not having the Priesthood.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                would they turn her away? I read something online today about some ladies planning to do that (part of the Ordain Woman thing) and am curious what might happen.
                A few years ago a female reporter who had a religion beat (UPS? API?) tried to attend so that she could report and was turned away. So there you go.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                  If they attend, they better as hell wear white tops/blouses. If they are serious about getting the PH then they at least should wear the official uniform.
                  I wonder if this will be the next hotly debated idea amongst the various Mormon feminist groups.

Comment

I don't think anyone would care if they come as long as they wear white shirts.
                    Last edited by Sullyute; 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM.
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      I wonder if this will be the next hotly debated idea amongst the various Mormon feminist groups.
                      It has to be. Wearing colored blouses dilutes their message, IMHBHAO. If I see a woman at PH session in a white blouse I think: "Damn, that chick is serious about getting the PH!"

If she is wearing a colored blouse I am too distracted by it to understand her motives for being there. I would think: "Wow, a lady at PH and in a colored blouse! I wonder if she really wants the PH or if she is just protesting the standardization on white shirts. I am confused."

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        this idea was hotly debated in March of this year and there was too much division among the ranks to come to a decision.
                        I have that same debate with myself every 6 months. Like the feminists, I often fail to reach a decision, and just stay home.

Comment

So are men turned away from attending women's conference?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Why would men go to that? We know our place.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

The person that throws the bone, never chases the bone.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Men preside at women's conference.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X