London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Just saw this, and point of clarification : The Magna Carta is in the British Library, not the British Museum.
    Interesting. It (one of the original copies at least) used to be in the British Museum. When I was there 20 or so years ago, I asked one of the staff members "What do you think is the most valuable item in the museum" and he answered the magna carta, which we immediately located and viewed. Maybe it was a temporary exhibit or something.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My 30 year old daughter - who lives with us - just got back from two weeks London/Paris. I asked her how she liked The Tower of London, and she said "what's that?" I proceeded to tell her a little history and how our family once lost our sister there, and when we finally found her, she was in the same cell (with the Beef Eaters) where they kept Oliver Cromwell. She said - "who's that?"

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Interesting. It (one of the original copies at least) used to be in the British Museum. When I was there 20 or so years ago, I asked one of the staff members "What do you think is the most valuable item in the museum" and he answered the magna carta, which we immediately located and viewed. Maybe it was a temporary exhibit or something.
        Isn't there like 15 versions of the magna carta? It took them a while to get it right. The British should have just lopped off King John's head and got rid of the monarchy while they had the chance.

I thought the crown jewels and the tower of london were pretty cool. Also, Winston's war room. On one trip to London it was during the Queen's Jubilee and Buckingham palace was open for tours (2015, I believe). The Queen has a lot of nice art in there.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Isn't there like 15 versions of the magna carta? It took them a while to get it right. The British should have just lopped off King John's head and got rid of the monarchy while they had the chance.

I thought the crown jewels and the tower of london were pretty cool. Also, Winston's war room. On one trip to London it was during the Queen's Jubilee and Buckingham palace was open for tours (2015, I believe). The Queen has a lot of nice art in there.
          He died to quick for them to do that, plus they tried that with Charles I and it didn't work

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Wikipedia says there are 4 contemporaneous copies.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Wikipedia says there are 4 contemporaneous copies.
              Yeah, I still think the crown jewels are more valuable.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Isnt there a copy in Salisbury? Go there to visit Old Sarum (a twofer for fans of ancient roman forts and Lord of the Rings) and see the Magna Carta at Salisbury Cathedral.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Isnt there a copy in Salisbury? Go there to visit Old Sarum (a twofer for fans of ancient roman forts and Lord of the Rings) and see the Magna Carta at Salisbury Cathedral.
                  There is a copy in the United States Capitol... You don't have to go all the way to London or Salisbury to see it. If you go to London see the crown jewels and how they tortured all the commoners over at the tower of london instead. Also, the Palace of Westminster is interesting to tour as well. You can see how the Lords are still screwing over the Commoners.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We're headed out in a little over two months. So far, I have a few shows booked (my wife and I will have to trade nights, since we have kids who are too young), but for seven of us, we have airfare and AirBnb for $5200, which leaves plenty of money for having some fun.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      We're headed out in a little over two months. So far, I have a few shows booked (my wife and I will have to trade nights, since we have kids who are too young), but for seven of us, we have airfare and AirBnb for $5200, which leaves plenty of money for having some fun.
                      Good for you. London is a blast.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My wife wants to go to London. When are the best times of year to go? Any tips for getting the best airfare rates?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          Which shows? We are going for the end of christmas break and starting to look at shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            My wife wants to go to London. When are the best times of year to go? Any tips for getting the best airfare rates?
                            Points are the best deal out there. Go get some credit cards, hit the minimum spend, collect the promotion and away you go. Same with hotels. I've got enough points in the bank right now for another Europe trip.

I like going in May.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Which shows? We are going for the end of christmas break and starting to look at shows.
                              Les Mis, Wicked, and Lion King were all good. Phantom not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Points are the best deal out there. Go get some credit cards, hit the minimum spend, collect the promotion and away you go. Same with hotels. I've got enough points in the bank right now for another Europe trip.

I like going in May.
                                Just started mining credit card points for this very purpose. Just hit the minimum spend on my Chase Sapphire, now I'm on to the Hilton Honors Amex!
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X