No announcement yet.

London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids might like the EYE - a huge ferris wheel on the Thames.

The Tower is a must, however the Beefeater that was leading us in really creeped my youngest out with all the gory stories

Is a bit out of London, but we spend a day at Cambridge and went Punting on the Cam. My daughters really liked it.
    They also liked the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. We went at noon, so we saw the whole guard mount, complete with band - nobody does ceremonial like the British. It was very crowded though

If you do a parliament tour - Westminster Abbey is just across the street - It is a not free ( IIRC it was 25 pounds for a family 10 yrs ago)

I really liked the Imperial War Museum, but I'm not sure how kids would like it
    Last edited by happyone; 04-02-2019, 04:11 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      I didn't even last an hour.
      Really? All that loot from the colonies? The Magna Carta? The Rosetta Stone?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Yeah, we know. This will be your epitaph when CS disappears!

GM, if your kids include teenagers, definitely do the British Museum. Our kids ranged from 14-22, and even the surly youngest didn't complain. Well, not too much. It is an amazing museum. And it's free!

Westminster Abbey is also excellent. Younger kids will do OK with the audio tour.

The Tower of London is also recommended. A lot of neat history and walking around.

Then after you've done the historical sites, treat your kids to go see Wicked or some other play. After 10 days of historical site-seeing, it helped take the edge off our younger ones!
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I would have definitely done the Magna Carta if it was there. What kind of loot did I miss?

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
            Kids might like the EYE - a huge ferris wheel on the Thames.

The Tower is a must, however the Beefeater that was leading us in really creeped my youngest out with all the gory stories

Is a bit out of London, but we spend a day at Cambridge and went Punting on the Cam. My daughters really liked it.
            They also liked the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. We went at noon, so we saw the whole guard mount, complete with band - nobody does ceremonial like the British. It was very crowded though

If you do a parliament tour - Westminster Abbey is just across the street - It is a not free ( IIRC it was 25 pounds for a family 10 yrs ago)

I really liked the Imperial War Museum, but I'm not sure how kids would like it
            Agreed on the Abbey. It's my #1 favorite stop in London. Not sure if younger kids would fully appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Yeah, we know. This will be your epitaph when CS disappears!

GM, if your kids include teenagers, definitely do the British Museum. Our kids ranged from 14-22, and even the surly youngest didn't complain. Well, not too much. It is an amazing museum. And it's free!

Westminster Abbey is also excellent. Younger kids will do OK with the audio tour.

The Tower of London is also recommended. A lot of neat history and walking around.

Then after you've done the historical sites, treat your kids to go see Wicked or some other play. After 10 days of historical site-seeing, it helped take the edge off our younger ones!
              My kids loved the tower as well. We also took them to see Warhorse and Phantom of the Opera. Other than my daughter throwing up outside the theater in a shoulder to shoulder crowd we had a great time and the kids enjoyed it.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                My kids loved the tower as well. We also took them to see Warhorse and Phantom of the Opera. Other than my daughter throwing up outside the theater in a shoulder to shoulder crowd we had a great time and the kids enjoyed it.
                There are a few plays that kids would enjoy. We saw Lion King last time we we're there.

Comment

Mrs. Diddley was complaining about that.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

If a family is in London, I think it's parental malpractice not to compel one's kids to spend at least one hour in the British Museum. Mine weren't thrilled at first, but years later they still speak of the items you mentioned, the Elgin Marbles (aka the Parthenon Sculptures), mummies, fantastic artwork, and other loot (much of which really ought to be given back), as well as the original handwritten songs, lyrics and doodles by Lennon and McCartney. I also liked the London Eye, and Westminster Abbey, the Tower of Big Ben. the rosy red cheeks of the little chil-dren.

Comment

One other thing that my wife and girls liked (because they love horses) was Trooping the Colors on The Horse Ground Parade. Not sure how often if occurs but it is close to the Churchill War Rooms.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

My daughters (17 and 13 at the time) really enjoyed the British Museum and the 3 (Wicked, Spam-a-lot and one I can't remember) plays they saw in the West End. My middle daughter was/is a theatre nerd. I was in Normandy with my brother that weekend, so I wasn't able to do either (priorities you know )

My wife found an apt just down river from Parliament we were able to rent for the week were in London proper - and with a Tube pass everything was easily reachable.
                        Last edited by happyone; 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Mrs. Diddley was complaining about that.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have five kids ranging from 10 mos. (when we go) to 17 years old, so I think we'll do some divide and conquer to keep the little kids entertained and the older kids engaged.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              Thanks, guys. I have five kids ranging from 10 mos. (when we go) to 17 years old, so I think we'll do some divide and conquer to keep the little kids entertained and the older kids engaged.
                              Have you gone yet? and what did you do?

Comment

I would have definitely done the Magna Carta if it was there. What kind of loot did I miss?
                                Just saw this, and point of clarification : The Magna Carta is in the British Library, not the British Museum.

Comment

Working...
                                X