No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I strongly recommend this year's surprise Pulitzer Winner, the Orphan Master's Son. It's a very captivating read.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• The Art of Fielding
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        I had a similar struggle with Wolf Hall. The writing style is tough, and there's a lot of details in the novel that aren't that dramatic or captivating to me. Also, I really didn't like the protagonist, nor did I find him particularly interesting. Complicated or flawed protagonists are the best, but Mantel's Thomas Cromwell just seemed opportunistic, and I never really got how he became such a spectaclular success notwithstanding his humble roots. Her approach was to make him look good by comparison to Thomas More, but even her More was in many ways more interesting -- a man who had done great deeds cracking under the strain of the protestant reformation and then England's apostasy from Christianity, falling prey to tyranny, his own and then Cromwell's. That's a better story than Cromwell's. Cromwell as an enlightened man before his time didn't do it for me, wasn't credible. Still, the English absolutely LOVE the book. I'm sure it's my fault I didn't. I warned my wife away from it. I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle Bodies.
        I finished Bringing up the Bodies this week. I liked it much better than Wolf Hall. I agree that More was more interesting. I really wish they could have gone into his thought processes and justification behind some of the crap he did.

Overall I liked Bodies, but I think the books are overrated. Still I'll read the 3rd when it finally comes out, though they are going to have to move the story along more quickly and start lopping off more heads.

Comment

• I liked Bringing up the Bodies better as well. I think maybe it was getting used to her writing style.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I finished HW Brands new biography of US Grant

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Saved-...aved+the+union

excellent, one of the best biographies of Grant that I've read. In reading it one can tell Dr. Brands is an admiror of Gen Grant. He does gloss over the scandels of his adminstration and looks at his attempts to enforce civil rights in the south.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              The Art of Fielding
              What did you think of it?

Comment

• Just finished Elders: A Novel
                http://www.amazon.com/Elders-A-Novel...keywords=elder

Though fictional, it seemed very autobiographical. I enjoyed reflecting on some similarities to my own missionary experience but found the last third of the novel rushed and pessimistic. I gave 2 out of 5 stars on goodreads

Comment

• Just competed

http://www.amazon.com/11-Days-Decemb...ys+in+december

my thoughts if anyone is interested

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/607271608

currently reading

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Rome-W...rry+sidebottom
                  Last edited by happyone; 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• I've read two books since I posted last - finished Warrior of Rome and Alamo in the Ardennes

http://www.amazon.com/Alamo-Ardennes...n+the+ardennes

my thoughts on both of them

Wolves
                    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/609927118

Alamo

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/478910325

currently reading Niall Ferguson's

http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-W...t+and+the+rest

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Mary Roach (Stiff, Bonk, Packing for Mars, etc.) who may be the funniest science writer out there. Gulp is her latest, and it's very good, packed with details about all things alimentary, including hundreds of factual tidbits about eating/digestion/elimination that will get you kicked out of many a dinner conversation (and yet I persist...). Among my favorites was a chapter devoted to the amazing storage facility that is the rectum, for which she interviewed inmates at a California correction facility (the rectum is known there as the "prison wallet" and is used to convey an astonishing number of items--one guy was found to have transported a box of paper clips, some binder rings, a couple of pens, and some other goods, and was known in the slammer as "Office Depot").

Naturally, there's also a chapter devoted to flatulence, a subject on which I have acquired some expertise over the years, but I was still surprised to learn that its odor comes not from methane but rather from hydrogen sulfide which has some very useful properties and may be an anti-carcinogen. byu71 may live forever. You'll also learn why Elvis died on the toilet, and more than you'll want to learn about Hirschsprung's disease.

It's a quick and breezy read, although if you read in bed your spouse will not be pleased by the frequent laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        I strongly recommend this year's surprise Pulitzer Winner, the Orphan Master's Son. It's a very captivating read.
                        Once again we agree, on our latest book posts again.

Just finished this last night, on the tails of Escape for Camp 14 this was very interesting. I was wary seeing that it had won the pulitzer prize, but I decided to give it a go anyway. I really liked it. No. Korea is crazy.

Comment

• looking for suggestions for good audio books. I'm more interested in fiction than non fiction. All suggestions are welcome, so long as you tell me why you liked it.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            looking for suggestions for good audio books. I'm more interested in fiction than non fiction. All suggestions are welcome, so long as you tell me why you liked it.
                            For just you? Or will the kids be in the car too?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              For just you? Or will the kids be in the car too?
                              just me and my ipod.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                                just me and my ipod.
                                I'll take a look. The most recent book I read would be good. The Orphan Masters Son.

Comment

Working...
                                X