What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    The big bone is the humerus. I was giving you a bad time about your TIC response falling flat.

I understood their point, but I disagree with it. Their calculations of water and energy requirements are overstated. Stated water use, for example is including what animals drink as well as the water used to grow the crops they consume, and they imply that most of that water comes by unsustainable depletion of underground aquifers. In actuality, the vast majority of water used in meat production is non-potable and comes from rain or runoff, and it is returned to the atmosphere/ground through the water cycle. Further, their complaint about the land required to feed animals ignores the fact that the vast majority of land used for meat production is not productive for any other use.

Here comes the 3d meat
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• finished A Dangerous Inheritance - meh, average at best. I really did not like the way it was set up with two seperate plot lines set 70 yrs apart. I also didn't like the way she ended the book

currently reading

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Company-Ho...+pointe+du+hoc

About the Rangers who assaulted Pointe Du Hoc on D-Day
      Last edited by happyone; 03-03-2013, 04:23 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Einstein - Walter Isaacson.

It would appear that Einstein and I have a lot in common. Disregarding the the 100 point difference in IQ, we could have been brothers.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• A good friend of mine was published today. It's his first book.....(well first real book as I think his masters thesis was eventually edited and published as a book)...and it's of the tween/young reader variety kind of in the Harry Potter mix. I haven't read it yet but I will shortly as my copy arrived today in the mail. Chances are that MJ will read it first, followed by my two oldest so I'm pretty far down the pecking order. I'll post some reviews from them when they finish it. It's kind of cool to know an author of someone that has a real book out. If anyone is interested, here's the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Cragbridge-Hal...ragbridge+hall

51fzfJ9Uv4L._SY300_.jpg

On a related note, this is the same friend that has the daughter whose tumor was removed a couple days ago (Mustaches for Maddie). Kind of a happy/sad time and hopefully will be more happy as his daughter recovers.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Finished Dog Company - good look at small unit actions ala Band of Brothers. Mr. O'Donnell follows D/2nd Ranger BN from it formation in Tennessee thru to the end of the war. He includes there major battles - Pointe Du Hoc (subject of Pres Reagans speech in 1984), the liberation of Brest, and Hill 400 in the Hurtgen Forest. The took incredible casualties during that stretch of combat. After PDH there were less the 15 men who where not casualties (Killed/Wounded/Missing), Hill 400 was the same. He does not sugar coat these men or make out to be super soldiers.

Mr. O'Donnell has a very readable writing style - almost novelistic (is that a word?)

I highly recommend this

currently reading something a little lighter - Ruth Donwie's newest Medicus mystery

http://www.amazon.com/Semper-Fidelis...ds=ruth+downie

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Finshed Semper Fidelis

Fun read - Its a mystery set in Roman Britian at the time of the Emperor Hadrian's visit in 122 AD. Hadrian and his wife are supporting characters.

I also finished Douglas Waller biography of William Donovan, the leader of the OSS in World War II

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Bill-Dono...d+bill+donovan

I thought it was good solid biography not great. Waller does not sugar coat Donovan. His paints a man who was a loosy father and husband, an indifferent manager/administrator, but an exceptional leader. His people, both as a World War I infantry comander and as the commander of the OSS, adored him and would go through hell for him ( and some did )

Mr. Waller also tells of the bureaucratic infighting that surrounded the OSS through out its existance. J. Edgar Hoover comes off particularly badly.

I would recommend this to those interested in WW II and the US intellegence bureaucracy
              Last edited by happyone; 03-17-2013, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Stealing the General by Russel Bonds

Civil War and Medal of Honor history (not Congressional Medal of Honor)

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Gener.../dp/1594160783

Also a great website http://www.stealingthegeneral.com/book.html

This book clarifies some errors in the Disney movie as well as previous tellings of the story. The Civil War is a very interesting time..... it truly was a war between people so similar and alike.
                Last edited by eldiente; 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• That looks good - It goes on the TBR pile

Comment

• "No Country for Old Men"
                    Just starting it....recommended by a fellow here at work. Anyone have a review that has read it? It's starting off pretty intense.
                    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borg View Post
                      "No Country for Old Men"
                      Just starting it....recommended by a fellow here at work. Anyone have a review that has read it? It's starting off pretty intense.
                      MG has written a few books about it, but I think they are posted on CB, not CS. Just go to CB and search MG's posts including "NCFOM".
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I never learned how to read.

Comment

• I finished Craig Symond's Civil War at Sea
                          http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-at-S...+craig+symonds

While it is quite short (just over 200 pages), it is a good overview of Naval operations by both sides. Dr. Symonds looks at how the advances in technology affected the naval strategies on both sides, esp the South lack of manufacturing capicity - they could not roll thick armor plate or manufacture naval steam engines. He also divides the book into the major "campaigns" the naval war took, the blockade, comerece raiding, the war on the rivers, the blockade/seige of Charlseton SC, and the "End Game" (the capture of Charleston and Wilmington and the cruise of the CSS Shenandoah)

I think it is a good companion book to James McPherson's War on the Waters

Currently reading Alex Kershaw's new one The Liberator
                          http://www.amazon.com/Liberator-Sold...=the+liberator

It is about an officer in the 45th ID that served with them from the landing in Sicily in July '43 thru to the end of the war and commanded the Bn that liberated the Dachau concentration camp.

Comment

• I really don't want to start a new thread for this, but I found this article on Lew Wallace, the author of Ben Hur and Civil War general. The author talks about the motivations behind the book and its popularity - at one point it was the most popular novel in the US. More than 83% of all libraries had a copy.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h..._the_best.html

companion article about some artifacts, including some of his drawings
                            http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...ketch_and.html
                            Last edited by happyone; 03-28-2013, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• Finished The Liberator - excellent read!!! It is the story of Felix Sparks who spent more than 500 days in combat with the 45th ID in WW II. He rose from 2lt to LTC by 26. He commanded the Battalion the liberated the Dachau concentration camp, participated in 4 invasions (Sicily, Salerno, Anzio and Southern France) and was on the receiving end of last German offensive in the west of WWII (Operation Nordwin - it started in Jan '45). Mr Kershaw presents a well researched and written biography, highly recommended.

I also finished Robert Massie's biography of Catherine the Great of Russia

http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Grea...bert+k.+massie

Well researched and written - Good follow up to his biography of Peter the Great. He presents a woman who was very politically canny, enlightened and not as debauched as commonly accepted. Catherine, born in Settin Germany, went to Russia as 14 yr old to marry the heir to the Russian throne (the grandson of Peter the Great, who was as German as she was, he was the heir to the Duchy of Holstein in northern Germany). I learned quite a bit about Russian history and 18th century politics

Spoiler for Catherine the Great:

In spite of her reputation of sexual excess - Catherine seemed to be a serial monogamist. The only exception to this was her first lover. She was married at 16, but the marriage was not consummated for 7 yrs. One of the young men at court seduced her and in alarm the powers that be made sure her husband finally slept with her. The paternity of her first child cannot be determined, but as he got older her son resembled her husband (Peter III) and not her lover. Her other children were definitely not her husband’s.

Russian Monarchs named their successor; the successor did not have to be related (but normally was). At the end of her life there was pressure for her to name her grandson as the heir and bypass her son (who became Paul I)

She had a lengthy correspondence with some of the major figures of the enlightenment including Voltaire. She tried to get him to visit St. Petersburg, but was unsuccessful. She purchased his library after he died.

Her most famous lover, Potemkin might have married her. The documentation is unclear, but in her correspondence with him, she refers to him as dearest husband.

She was not involved with the coup that put her on the throne, or Peter III's assignation which happened later.

I recommend this to anyone interested in European or Russian history

Currently reading

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ice-Sha...+empire+of+ice
                              Last edited by happyone; 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray. Really liked it. Started Great Expectations last night.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X