No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad student compositions in Spanish.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Really bad student compositions in Spanish.
      That is part of the price you pay to be an underpaid educator

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• "Too Big To Fail". Fantastic read

Comment

• Fun read. I have enjoyed the other two Mezrich books I read about the MIT Blackjack teams. The internet is a crazy place, facebook went from launch to 1,000,000 users in 10 months. If you like facebook at all this is an quick read and worth it.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

• I've been thumbing through parts of a Norton Anthology of English Lit that was assigned in college.

Comment

• has anyone ever finished this book? i'm a pretty voracious reader, and i just cannot do it. the footnotes are incredibly interesting, but ancillary to plot and very long.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Just finished up Friday Night Lights, which was rather fantastic.

Last night I started Chuck Klosterman IV: A decade of curious people and dangerous ideas
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• It's pretty dang awesome. I have been fully captivated, so I ordered the one for Doolittle.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I've flipped through a lot of those 33 1/3 books at music stores but I've never actually bought one.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• I have completely devoured this one.. probably because I have been in love with Paul's Boutique and its mystique/genius for the better part of a pair of decades.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Books I have read this fall

Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life by Kathleen Dalton

History of United States Naval Operations in World War II: Vol. IV, Coral Sea, Midway and Submarine Actions, May 1942-August 1942 by Samuel Eliot Morison.

The Franklin Comes Home by A. A. Hoehling

Gabby: A Fighter Pilot's Life by Francis Gabreski (as told to Carl Molesworth).

Thunderbolt!: The Fabulous U.S. 56th Fighter Group by Robert S. Johnson (with Martin Caidin). Second time I've read this book. Fantastic both times.

The Steel Wave by Jeff Shaara. I've enjoyed everything of Shaara's that I have read.

Across the Wide Missouri by Bernard DeVoto. Currently in the last chapter.
                        Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                        Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                        Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                          Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life by Kathleen Dalton

History of United States Naval Operations in World War II: Vol. IV, Coral Sea, Midway and Submarine Actions, May 1942-August 1942 by Samuel Eliot Morison.

The Franklin Comes Home by A. A. Hoehling

Thunderbolt!: The Fabulous U.S. 56th Fighter Group by Robert S. Johnson (with Martin Caidin). Second time I've read this book. Fantastic both times.

The Steel Wave by Jeff Shaara. I've enjoyed everything of Shaara's that I have read.

Across the Wide Missouri by Bernard DeVoto. Currently in the last chapter.

Welcome back

Have your read "Black Thursday" by Cadin? It is the story of the Sept 14,'43 mission to Schweinfurt that ended deep penetration missions into Germany until the P-51 became widely available. If you haven't I would recommend it. I also liked his "Fork-Tailed Devil"

Also are you reading the complete "History of Naval Operations" or just selected volumes?
                          Last edited by happyone; 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally Posted by thesaint258
                            I'm looking for something new to read, and I thought some of you might have good ideas. Specifically I'm looking for good books about WWII or Vietnam. I think I'd like books that focus on what happened with small units (rather than looking at the big picture) or biographies about people who aren't as well-known, but at the same time, I'd like recommendations for any good book.
                            Books about World War II:

To Fly and Fight by Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson

Submarine! by Edward L. Beach

The Jolly Rogers by Tom Blackburn

Flags of Our Fathers and Flyboys by James Bradley

Dauntless Helldivers by Harold L. Buell

Combat Crew by John Comer

A Wing and A Prayer by Harry H. Crosby

I Could Never Be So Lucky Again by James H. Doolittle

Thunderbolt!: The Fabulous U.S. 56th Fighter Group by Robert S. Johnson (with Martin Caidin).

Anything by Daniel V Gallery who commanded the task group that captured the U-505

Midway! Incredible Victory by Walter Lord

Goodbye Darkness by William Manchester

To Hell and Back by Audie Murphy

Battleship at War by Ivan Musicant

I Was Chaplain on the Franklin by Joseph T. O'Callahan

Wahoo and Clear the Bridge by Richard H. O'Kane

The Bravest Man by William Tuohy

Red Scorpion: The War Patrols of the USS Rasher by Peter Sasgen

Ace!: A Marine Fighter Pilot in World War II by Bruce Porter

Samurai! by Saburo Sakai

Submarine Commander by Paul R. Schratz

Combat Command by Frederick C. Sherman

With the Old Breed by E. B. Sledge

Screaming Eagle by Dale O. Smith

Coral and Brass by Holland M. Smith

The Big E by Edward P. Stafford

Once They Were Eagles by Frank E. Walton

Anything by Edward H. Sims

D-Day by Stephen Ambrose

An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson

The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson

Thunder Below! by Eugene Fluckey

Anything by Gerald Astor

Anything by Martin Caidin

Anything by Samuel Eliot Morison

The Man Who Flew the Memphis Bell by Robert Morgan

And the book I am going to read next: A Dawn Like Thunder by Robert J. Mrazek
                            Last edited by Flattop; 12-03-2009, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                              Welcome back

Have your read "Black Thursday" by Cadin? It is the story of the Sept 14,'43 mission to Schweinfurt that ended deep penetration missions into Germany until the P-51 became widely available. If you haven't I would recommend it. I also liked his "Fork-Tailed Devil"

Also are you reading the complete "History of Naval Operations" or just selected volumes?
                              Black Thursday is about the second Schweinfurt mission in October 1943. I have enjoyed all of the Caidin books that I have read.

Right now I am reading selected volumes of Morison (thanks to the Internet I can now find copies to buy!).
                              Last edited by Flattop; 12-03-2009, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                                Black Thursday is about the second Schweinfurt mission in October 1943. I have enjoyed all of the Caidin books that I have read.

Right now I am reading selected volumes of Morison (thanks to the Internet I can now find copies to buy!).

I knew that, I guess this is what I get for relying on memory

Comment

Working...
                                X