What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That looks fun. Yeah, we already have hotel reservations. Not far from the Duomo.
    Cool. Well If you do a day trip south to San Gimignano or Siena, it's right off the highway. They can package up some olive oil to bring home.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

That looks fun. Yeah, we already have hotel reservations. Not far from the Duomo.
      awesome, I really like Florence.

Comment

• have always avoided zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and am about halfway through. not sure why people like it...?
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          have always avoided zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and am about halfway through. not sure why people like it...?
          Loved it, but it has been at least 20 years.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

have always avoided zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and am about halfway through. not sure why people like it...?
            Yeah, I felt the same way; tough one to get thru.

Comment

My wife and I both read Oil and Marble recently. It is a historical novel about Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci and their time in Florence as rivals. Machiavelli, Raphael and a few others make an appearance. Crazy to think that these people were all contemporaries. We are headed back to Florence in May, so it was a fun read. Recommended.
              Agree its, a good book - I read it just before I read the new De Vinci bio - I thought it was fascinating to compare the history in them.

I'm currently reading Ben Kane's trilogy about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9AD

Eagles at War
              Hunting the Eagles
              Eagles in the Storm

All three are ILLs and have to be read by 6 Apr
              Last edited by happyone; 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Finished the second Flavia De Luce novel a few days ago - The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag. Flavia is such a fun character. This one wasn't quite as good as the first, but still worth the read.

Now reading Heat Lightning by John Sandford, the second in the Virgil Flowers series. That f#ckin' Flowers. He's great. I almost like him better than Lucas Davenport.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Just finished Get Well Soon on audible. Relatively short (9.5 hrs) history of plagues, pandemics, etc. and how humans responded. The author has a very casual and witty style that I enjoyed, and it actually works with this topic. The narrator was excellent. One of the more enjoyable audiobook experiences I have had. She eviscerates the anti-vax movement, so that added to my enjoyment. Check it out.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I was the same. Got about half way through and put it away out of boredom. I know several people that put it in their top 10 all time. I don't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      I was the same. Got about half way through and put it away out of boredom. I know several people that put it in their top 10 all time. I don't get it.
                      I read this book when I was about 16, not long after it was published. I recall thinking it was very profound, but I have zero recollection as to why.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I finished the Teutoburg Forest Trilogy by Ben Kane - I enjoyed them. Set in between 9AD-16AD, Dr Kane tells the story of the debacle in the Forest (one of Rome's worst defeats ever and it stopped Rome's expansion into Germany) and the punishment expeditions in 14, 15, and 16 AD. Dr. Kane has a different take than normal on Varus, the Roman Commander in 9AD. I'd recommend them to any one who like Historical Fiction or is interested in Ancient Rome

Currently reading Katheryn Gordon Jenkin new Bio of J. Golden Kimball - J. Golden Kimball: The Remarkable Man Behind the Colorful Stories

It's short, only about 150 pages - should be a quick read

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I just finished Heat Lightning by John Sanderson. I think its no. 2 (maybe 3) in the Virgil Flowers series. Virgil is a great character. I imagine it must be hard for prolific writers like Sanderson to come up with new and fresh murder mysteries. Sometimes they feel forced. This one was a little out there, but not in a bad way. Recommended.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                            I finished the Teutoburg Forest Trilogy by Ben Kane - I enjoyed them. Set in between 9AD-16AD, Dr Kane tells the story of the debacle in the Forest (one of Rome's worst defeats ever and it stopped Rome's expansion into Germany) and the punishment expeditions in 14, 15, and 16 AD. Dr. Kane has a different take than normal on Varus, the Roman Commander in 9AD. I'd recommend them to any one who like Historical Fiction or is interested in Ancient Rome

Currently reading Katheryn Gordon Jenkin new Bio of J. Golden Kimball - J. Golden Kimball: The Remarkable Man Behind the Colorful Stories

It's short, only about 150 pages - should be a quick read
                            I was right, the Kimball bio didn't take long - about an hour of reading time. Not particularly original, but it had some stuff on his family life that I hadn't heard before. According to the author, he a verey troubled marriage. His wife was very resentful of his church service. He was never home and basically left his wife to raise their 6 children alone. We've discussed GA compensation on this board a bit, back then GAs definately weren't getting rich. His salary, what there was of it, from the church was $65/mth. That wasn't as a GA, but as the secretary to the Pres of Seventy. As the author described their troubled marriage, I can't help to think that if they had live 100 or even 50 yrs later it would have ended in divorce. Also he was the last GA to file for personal bankruptcy.

He also had trouble with his kids - 4 of the 6 left the church. All 3 of his daughters were sexually indiscrete. 2 had affairs with married men and one had a illegitimate daughter. The third's husband killed her purported lover and the murder trial was all over the Salt Lake papers in the summer of 1917. The husband was aquitted. Ms. Jenkins didn't say what happened to the marriage.

Over all, I think Arrignton's bio, J. Golden, is much better, but it doesn't cover his family life very well.

This is only a 3 star read - the writing style is annoying as well as the layout of the book. Things that he supposedly said are in sidebars and really break up the flow of the book.

Next up a couple of ILLs by David Glantz on the Great Patriotic War - his book on the Battle of Kursk and an abridgement of his books on Stalingrad.
                            Last edited by happyone; 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• The last 34 years of President Nelson's talks.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                The last 34 years of President Nelson's talks.
                                This is now a thing.

https://ableday.org/70-day-president-nelson-study/
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X