Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2094

Thread: What Are You Reading Now?

  1. #1
    Many books, little time Flattop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Davis County
    Posts
    1,452

    Default What Are You Reading Now?

    I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what are you reading now, what's it about, and is it any good?

    And don't forget to comeback when you finish and tell us what your reading next.
    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

  2. #2
    RIP CUF DU Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holladay
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    CUF
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

  3. #3
    Many books, little time Flattop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Davis County
    Posts
    1,452

    Default ETO

    Finished this one earlier this week:

    The Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Charles B. MacDonald

    I read this book as a teenager and remembered it as being very good. A few months ago, I posted a thread about the Huertgen Forest at my history group and I looked for but could not find a copy of this book among my collection. Then a few weeks ago I found one at the local paperback exchange.

    MacDonald was company commander in the 23rd Infantry Regiment which was all set to fight in the Huertgen Forest but got caught up in the German counteroffensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge. This book is very well written, one of the few written about his particular battle. MacDonald does a very good job of placing the battle in the larger context of the war on the western front.


    Now I'm reading:

    Typhoon Pilot by Desmond Scott

    The Hawker Typhoon was built to replace the Hawker Hurricane, one of the heroes of the Battle of Britain. The Typhoon was fast, had four 20mm cannons and could carry a heavy load of bombs or rockets. But the fighter couldn't compete with German fighters at higher altitudes, so it specialized in the ground-attack role.

    Scott was a pilot from New Zealand attached to the Royal Air Force in Britain. He took command of a Typhoon squadron in the spring of 1943, rising to wing commander during the summer. During this period the Typhoons hunted low flying German raiders over Britain, and also crossed the Channel to bomb airfields and other targets on the Continent. Later in 1944, Scott commanded another wing of Typhoons in France and Belgium in support of the ground forces.

    I am really enjoying this book. It grabbed me in the first few pages and hasn't let go.
    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

  4. #4
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what are you reading now, what's it about, and is it any good?

    And don't forget to comeback when you finish and tell us what your reading next.

    We have a Fiction and Non Fiction threads that are running of books read. I would add what you have here to those. they are here,

    http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=753

    and

    http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=760


    So don't surprised if you get a lack of responses.

  5. #5
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,120

    Default

    Sometimes I try to be sophisticated, but sometimes I just need a junk food book. Right now I'm reading The Gold Coast by Nelson Demille. I like it. No great truths revealed, but its a good story.

  6. #6
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Caught Beneath the Landslide
    Posts
    8,728

    Default

    The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson.

    On Deck: Outliers
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  7. #7
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson.

    On Deck: Outliers
    I really liked the Devil in the White City. Sometimes a bit too much architectural detail for me, but overall very entertaining. The portions about the fair are awesome.

  8. #8
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Caught Beneath the Landslide
    Posts
    8,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I really liked the Devil in the White City. Sometimes a bit too much architectural detail for me, but overall very entertaining. The portions about the fair are awesome.
    That has been my thought exactly. A little too much Architecture, but I figure it is something to learn about.

    I also found out this weekend that my great grandparents made a trip to Chicago for the fair, so it has upped my interest in the book.

    Have you read any of Larsen's other books?
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  9. #9
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Have you read any of Larsen's other books?
    No, but I would like to read Thunderstruck.

  10. #10
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,813

    Default

    I just finished Twilight in two days. Gidget is trying to convince me the second book will be better.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  11. #11
    aka Benito Hazard thesaint258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    My castle!
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney. It's a very interesting book about the early days of the unit.
    Not that, sickos.

  12. #12
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I just finished Twilight in two days. Gidget is trying to convince me the second book will be better.
    I can't believe you read that shiz!?! I just lost a little respect for you.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  13. #13
    To Win is to Honor Him doctorcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what are you reading now, what's it about, and is it any good?

    And don't forget to comeback when you finish and tell us what your reading next.
    CUF. It provides an excellent repotoir of reading.

  14. #14
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Powerboating.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  15. #15
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,613

    Default

    Facundo: Civilization and Barbarity by Domingo Fausto Sarmiento.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  16. #16
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    I can't believe you read that shiz!?! I just lost a little respect for you.
    Sad but true. I figured I might as well throw it out there because otherwise that's a bullet in Gidget's gun.

    I thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head while reading it. I seriously understand less about women after reading that book. Oh and Pelagius.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  17. #17

    Default

    Book 2 of the Dark Tower Series.

    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

    The Art of War....by as Tony Soprano would call...SHOON ZOO.

  18. #18

    Default

    Better -- Atul Gawande. Loved it, highly recommended look into the medical system. Recently finished, now on to...

    How Doctors Think -- Jerome Groopman. About 2/3 of the way through. This one's also been good, but thus far I think Better was....well, you know.

  19. #19
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    43,985

    Default

    The Looming Tower.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  20. #20
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,586

    Default

    Read "Love is a Mixtape" last weekend. Just started reading "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs."

  21. #21

    Default

    I'm reading one fiction and one non-fiction currently.

    Non- Then We Set His Hair on Fire
    Fiction- Brave New World

    Dusenberry is a legend and his book looked interesting so I picked it up.

    As far as Brave New World goes, well, I had never read that book or Farenheit 451 so I picked them up to round out my distopian readings. In Brave New World I have found my distopian dream girl.

  22. #22
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Finished this one earlier this week:

    The Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Charles B. MacDonald

    I read this book as a teenager and remembered it as being very good. A few months ago, I posted a thread about the Huertgen Forest at my history group and I looked for but could not find a copy of this book among my collection. Then a few weeks ago I found one at the local paperback exchange.

    MacDonald was company commander in the 23rd Infantry Regiment which was all set to fight in the Huertgen Forest but got caught up in the German counteroffensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge. This book is very well written, one of the few written about his particular battle. MacDonald does a very good job of placing the battle in the larger context of the war on the western front.

    .
    I've been wanting to read The Battle of the Huertgen Forest for a while, but it was out of print and I couldn't find it. Three of the six divions that were in the path of the German assult in the Ardennes were rebuilding from that battle.
    I really like Company Comander and A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge by the same author.

    I just finished A Dawn Like Thunder It is the story of Torpedo Squadron 8 at Midway and Guadalcanel. It is an intresting read about how they rebuilt a shattered squadron and made it a very good squadron and the differece in personalities of commanders and leaders. One was beloved and the other hated, but they both made effective squadrons.

  23. #23
    Many books, little time Flattop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Davis County
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I've been wanting to read The Battle of the Huertgen Forest for a while, but it was out of print and I couldn't find it. Three of the six divions that were in the path of the German assult in the Ardennes were rebuilding from that battle.
    I really like Company Comander and A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge by the same author.
    Found it at Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Huertge.../dp/0812218310
    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

  24. #24

    Default

    Slaughterhouse 5.

    next up: Tipping Point by Gladwell.

    my wife is reading "Poisonwood Bible" and really digging it.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Slaughterhouse 5.

    next up: Tipping Point by Gladwell.

    my wife is reading "Poisonwood Bible" and really digging it.
    The Insiders by Craig Hickman. Very fun read (plus, I helped edit it!).

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The Looming Tower.
    One of the best books I've read in years.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    One of the best books I've read in years.
    What's it about?

  28. #28
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    43,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    One of the best books I've read in years.
    Yeah, I picked it up on your recommendation.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  29. #29
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson.

    Third book of his Mistborn trilogy.

    Great fantasy trilogy, by the way.
    Last edited by SoCalCoug; 07-13-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Misplaced a "the"
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Hero of the Ages, by Brandon Sanderson.

    Third book of his Mistborn trilogy.

    Great fantasy trilogy, by the way.
    I will have to check it out...I enjoy fantasy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •