What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Yes, the Italian novel. There is a very good translation.

Here is an article about the translation.

Essay: Lampedusa's 'The Leopard,' fifty years on
    https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/a...e=articleShare

I generally prefer novels that have been translated.
    I generally prefer to read novels in their original language. Since I don't know many other languages, I'm postponing reading foreign-language novels until after I learn the languages. I'm also postponing reading novels in languages I do know, out of solidarity for the other languages.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      I generally prefer to read novels in their original language. Since I don't know many other languages, I'm postponing reading foreign-language novels until after I learn the languages. I'm also postponing reading novels in languages I do know, out of solidarity for the other languages.
      This is a ridiculous restriction. People go on and on about accuracy of the translation of a great literary work and they don’t know what they’re talking about. For example, the Iliad, the great Russian novels, or the Pentateuch. What I care about is the translation that uses a vernacular that is most beautiful to my ear. Any translation is shot through with subjective interpretation. Good translators write with tremendous skill and artistry in their own right. We now place their names beside the novelist’s on the book cover. I bet that some translated modern novels are better written in English than in the original tongue. What matters is the writing quality, ultimately.

When I say I prefer translated novels, I mean that non-Anglo-Saxon novelists write material that to me is more interesting and moving. It’s entirely subjective, but the Nobel committee seems to agree with me. The English are better than American novelists, who are the worst, except maybe for Canadians. So you’re cheating yourself out of a lot.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Comment

• Damn, I am really starting to worry about SU.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This is a ridiculous restriction. People go on and on about accuracy of the translation of a great literary work and they don’t know what they’re talking about. For example, the Iliad, the great Russian novels, or the Pentateuch. What I care about is the translation that uses a vernacular that is most beautiful to my ear. Any translation is shot through with subjective interpretation. Good translators write with tremendous skill and artistry in their own right. We now place their names beside the novelist’s on the book cover. I bet that some translated modern novels are better written in English than in the original tongue. What matters is the writing quality, ultimately.

When I say I prefer translated novels, I mean that non-Anglo-Saxon novelists write material that to me is more interesting and moving. It’s entirely subjective, but the Nobel committee seems to agree with me. The English are better than American novelists, who are the worst, except maybe for Canadians. So you’re cheating yourself out of a lot.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Jokes on all of you. Apparently you don't get dry humor. I fully understood that my initial statement I prefer translated novels would elicit such a response. I payed out the gag. You're all slow. Slow as a sacrament meeting.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Jokes on all of you. Apparently you don't get dry humor. I fully understood that my initial statement I prefer translated novels would elicit such a response. I payed out the gag. You're all slow. Slow as a sacrament meeting.
                “I was just kidding!”

Gosh I miss third grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  That's awesome. Can I use this for my excuse too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    That's awesome. Can I use this for my excuse too?
                    Absolutely, but there will be a royalty associated with its use.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Jokes on all of you. Apparently you don't get dry humor. I fully understood that my initial statement I prefer translated novels would elicit such a response. I payed out the gag. You're all slow. Slow as a sacrament meeting.
                      I bet this bit would kill at a comedy club.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I'm reading The Money Hackers. Thought it might come in handy.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I finished The Maltese Falcon last night.

Not too bad. Interesting to read the beginning of crime fiction in the US. Now I need to find the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              I finished The Maltese Falcon last night.

Not too bad. Interesting to read the beginning of crime fiction in the US. Now I need to find the movie.
                              The movie is one of those rare films that may be better than the novel.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                I finished The Maltese Falcon last night.

The movie is a legitimate classic. MF's externals were shot in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco, a district that now features open-air drug markets, human excreta, semi-organized homelessness, stray needles, and trash.
                                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X