What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are You Reading Now?

I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what are you reading now, what's it about, and is it any good?

And don't forget to comeback when you finish and tell us what your reading next.
    Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
    Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
    Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

CUF
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

ETO

Finished this one earlier this week:

The Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Charles B. MacDonald

I read this book as a teenager and remembered it as being very good. A few months ago, I posted a thread about the Huertgen Forest at my history group and I looked for but could not find a copy of this book among my collection. Then a few weeks ago I found one at the local paperback exchange.

MacDonald was company commander in the 23rd Infantry Regiment which was all set to fight in the Huertgen Forest but got caught up in the German counteroffensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge. This book is very well written, one of the few written about his particular battle. MacDonald does a very good job of placing the battle in the larger context of the war on the western front.

Now I'm reading:

Typhoon Pilot by Desmond Scott

The Hawker Typhoon was built to replace the Hawker Hurricane, one of the heroes of the Battle of Britain. The Typhoon was fast, had four 20mm cannons and could carry a heavy load of bombs or rockets. But the fighter couldn't compete with German fighters at higher altitudes, so it specialized in the ground-attack role.

Scott was a pilot from New Zealand attached to the Royal Air Force in Britain. He took command of a Typhoon squadron in the spring of 1943, rising to wing commander during the summer. During this period the Typhoons hunted low flying German raiders over Britain, and also crossed the Channel to bomb airfields and other targets on the Continent. Later in 1944, Scott commanded another wing of Typhoons in France and Belgium in support of the ground forces.

I am really enjoying this book. It grabbed me in the first few pages and hasn't let go.
      Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
      Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
      Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
        I love books, and I like to hear about what other people are reading. Sometimes I'll even read a certain book because someone else liked it. So, what are you reading now, what's it about, and is it any good?

And don't forget to comeback when you finish and tell us what your reading next.

We have a Fiction and Non Fiction threads that are running of books read. I would add what you have here to those. they are here,

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=753

and

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=760

So don't surprised if you get a lack of responses.

Comment

Sometimes I try to be sophisticated, but sometimes I just need a junk food book. Right now I'm reading The Gold Coast by Nelson Demille. I like it. No great truths revealed, but its a good story.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson.

On Deck: Outliers
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson.

On Deck: Outliers
              I really liked the Devil in the White City. Sometimes a bit too much architectural detail for me, but overall very entertaining. The portions about the fair are awesome.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I really liked the Devil in the White City. Sometimes a bit too much architectural detail for me, but overall very entertaining. The portions about the fair are awesome.
                That has been my thought exactly. A little too much Architecture, but I figure it is something to learn about.

I also found out this weekend that my great grandparents made a trip to Chicago for the fair, so it has upped my interest in the book.

Have you read any of Larsen's other books?
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                  Have you read any of Larsen's other books?
                  No, but I would like to read Thunderstruck.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I just finished Twilight in two days. Gidget is trying to convince me the second book will be better.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney. It's a very interesting book about the early days of the unit.
                      Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I just finished Twilight in two days. Gidget is trying to convince me the second book will be better.
                        I can't believe you read that shiz!?! I just lost a little respect for you.
                        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post

CUF. It provides an excellent repotoir of reading.
                          "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Powerboating.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Facundo: Civilization and Barbarity by Domingo Fausto Sarmiento.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X