What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    Those quotes remind me quite a bit of the Arbinger Institute stuff.
    Really? Ugh...
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Really? Ugh...
      Yup.

All the stuff my CEO brings to us from Arbinger is about seeing people as obstacles, tools, or irrelevant versus seeing them as people. Then she gets into seeing others as having "hopes and dreams of their own" and trying to understand them.

Obviously I'm not doing it much justice in a couple of sentences - But it sure seems like while the approach is a little different - at its core it shares some similarities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Yup.

All the stuff my CEO brings to us from Arbinger is about seeing people as obstacles, tools, or irrelevant versus seeing them as people. Then she gets into seeing others as having "hopes and dreams of their own" and trying to understand them.

Obviously I'm not doing it much justice in a couple of sentences - But it sure seems like while the approach is a little different - at its core it shares some similarities.
        Yeah, I read one of those books and I didn't like it much. Anatomy of Peace.

I have the Leadership and Self-Deception book in my queue, but I can't bring myself to read it.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Ha! I remember that quote. I marked it and played it for my wife.

Ditto for the first exchange between Sam and Laura when he caught her cheating. The audiobook version of that was brilliant and had us both laughing to tears.
          I just read that exchange this afternoon at lunch. It was classic.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Mike Brown, How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming. Way way less boring that you'd think. Pluto's not the first planet killed by scientific consensus. We used to have the planets Ceres and Pallas (with elements cerium and palladium named after them), and Juno and Vesta who were sketchy enough that they couldn't even get the chemists to name an element after them. The author sprinkles fascinating facts throughout-- like since man discovered Pluto, we've only observed a little over one quarter of its orbit (255 years for a complete rotation).

Mike Brown also does a good job describing the pressure to publish or perish, which in astronomy means discovering new planets, and the intricate balancing act between validating and rechecking your discoveries, but at the same time not taking so long that someone else beats you to the discovery of a new body. He also talks about how all astronomers hate the moon.

Comment

• I just finished Bruce Dickinson's autobiography What Does This Button Do? For those who don't know Bruce is the lead singer of Iron Maiden. He's also a university graduate, world class fencer, commercial airline captain, author, screenwriter, and in demand corporate speaker.

It's excellent in every way and I had several instances where I almost spat what I was drinking onto my iPad. I was fun finding out what made the guy tick and he gets extra credit for delivering the goods with British charm.

It inspired me to start reading Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries. So far it's also an interesting look into the perils of rock star heroin addiction.

Comment

• Just finished Elantris, Brandon Sanderson's first published novel. I am a big fan of his writing style, having read all of the Mistborn series and The Emperer's Soul. Although he's best classified as a fantasy writer, he includes a lot of theology and political philosophy in his work. Elantris is no different. It's a stand alone book, so if you're wary of starting a series (like I usually am, before I started Mistborn ), this is a good book for fantasy homers.

It would be interesting to spend some time picking his brain. He spends so much time talking about faith in the abstract, that I wonder what he's struggled with in his own life.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Just finished Elantris, Brandon Sanderson's first published novel. I am a big fan of his writing style, having read all of the Mistborn series and The Emperer's Soul. Although he's best classified as a fantasy writer, he includes a lot of theology and political philosophy in his work. Elantris is no different. It's a stand alone book, so if you're wary of starting a series (like I usually am, before I started Mistborn ), this is a good book for fantasy homers.

It would be interesting to spend some time picking his brain. He spends so much time talking about faith in the abstract, that I wonder what he's struggled with in his own life.
                  Just come back to BYU and take his class.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                    Just come back to BYU and take his class.
                    I'm no writer, but I think that would be a very interesting class. Not sure if the commute would be worth it though...
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      I'm no writer, but I think that would be a very interesting class. Not sure if the commute would be worth it though...
                      Yeah, pretty sure it's extremely difficult to get into; you have to apply for the class itself.

Comment

• The Burning Room by Michael Connelly. This may be his best book yet. I'm almost done and can't put it down. He's great at telling an intersting complex story that doesn't lose the reader in its complexity.

I needed a book like this after reading an LDS Romance Novel (Borrowed Light) that my wife had finished. That one was a bit too predictable and needed some more research for accuracy. My wife loved it, but I had to push myself to get through it. Apparently we don't like the same sort of books.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                          Yeah, pretty sure it's extremely difficult to get into; you have to apply for the class itself.
                          You can watch previous year's sessions on youtube.
                          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                          SU

Comment

• Pierce Brown's Red Rising Trilogy. Painful but awesomely enjoyable.
                            Joe Haldeman's Forever War Trilogy Vietnam in Outer Space. Also, the basic plot for the movie Pacific Rim.
                            Gregory Berns How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and his Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain. Bet you want to know how he gets a conscious dog to voluntarily lay down in an MRI machine.

Next up: Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow. Wish me luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Pierce Brown's Red Rising Trilogy. Painful but awesomely enjoyable.
                              Joe Haldeman's Forever War Trilogy Vietnam in Outer Space. Also, the basic plot for the movie Pacific Rim.
                              Gregory Berns How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and his Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain. Bet you want to know how he gets a conscious dog to voluntarily lay down in an MRI machine.

Next up: Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow. Wish me luck.
                              Good luck.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                                The Burning Room by Michael Connelly. This may be his best book yet. I'm almost done and can't put it down. He's great at telling an intersting complex story that doesn't lose the reader in its complexity.

I needed a book like this after reading an LDS Romance Novel (Borrowed Light) that my wife had finished. That one was a bit too predictable and needed some more research for accuracy. My wife loved it, but I had to push myself to get through it. Apparently we don't like the same sort of books.
                                I love the Bosch novels. I'm reading the new one, Two Kinds of Truth, right now. Only a few chapters in, but its good so far. That Bosch tho, he' such a hardass.

Also, what in the hell were you doing reading an LDS romance novel?!?! Its not like you're watching tv with your wife and sometimes need to cave on a show she likes.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X