No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Jordan Peterson 12 Rules book is pretty awesome.

SU would really like the stuff near the midpoint of the book about Dostoevsky’s Grand Inquisitor and Nietzsche. There is a lot of stuff in that section that converges with LDS theology: works (not just faith) are important, becoming like Christ should be our goal.

I like what Peterson says about discipline and sacrifice: “The future is a judgmental father.” He articulates pretty well many of the emotional and psychological truths to be found in religion and in our religious myths. The distinction between “objective truth” and psychological/emotional/moral truth is discussed as well. Good stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      This Jordan Peterson 12 Rules book is pretty awesome.

SU would really like the stuff near the midpoint of the book about Dostoevsky’s Grand Inquisitor and Nietzsche. There is a lot of stuff in that section that converges with LDS theology: works (not just faith) are important, becoming like Christ should be our goal.

I like what Peterson says about discipline and sacrifice: “The future is a judgmental father.” He articulates pretty well many of the emotional and psychological truths to be found in religion and in our religious myths. The distinction between “objective truth” and psychological/emotional/moral truth is discussed as well. Good stuff!
      Great book. That's not nothing!

Comment

• Finished Gravity's Rainbow. Everything is a penis.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          This Jordan Peterson 12 Rules book is pretty awesome.

I should read the book. I found Peterson's podcast last summer, and I've listened to all 20 hours or so of his Old Testament series about three times each, which what I know about the book is repeating a lot of the information from it through the stories of the Old Testament. I find him totally inspiring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Finished the audiobook of Sing Unburied Sing a while ago. Pretty powerful imagery.

I'm on The Ninth Hour now. It took listening to a couple of the disks (out of 7) before I started to feel at all connected with the story (so far - on the 5th disk - mostly about an order of nuns and their impact on a widow and her daughter). Maybe devout Catholics would have a more immediate connection.
            Just finished this today. I was pretty underwhelmed with the book in general, whether it was on disks or discs.

Considering its main characters are a widow, her daughter, and several nuns, the book might have more appeal and/or be more relatable to those of Applejack's gender.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Just finished this today. I was pretty underwhelmed with the book in general, whether it was on disks or discs.

Considering its main characters are a widow, her daughter, and several nuns, the book might have more appeal and/or be more relatable to those of Applejack's gender.
              You’re not going to believe this, but they have this newfangled technology where you can listen to audiobooks without using discs or tapes.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You’re not going to believe this, but they have this newfangled technology where you can listen to audiobooks without using discs or tapes.
                No way! That's amazing. I'm heading to the library tomorrow to return the audiobook - what topics should I look up in the card catalog to learn more about this new technology?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

No way! That's amazing. I'm heading to the library tomorrow to return the audiobook - what topics should I look up in the card catalog to learn more about this new technology?
                  I highly recommend something on the Dewey decimal system.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

But really though. Doesn't your library offer overdrive audiobooks? So much nicer.

Comment

• Every time I get into my car... my audio book starts off where it was last... I don't have to do a thing. I don't even know how it happens... how does it know its me, or somebody else?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        But really though. Doesn't your library offer overdrive audiobooks? So much nicer.
                        I didn't realize my using physical media was such an affront to the tender CS sensibilities.

The library does have Overdrive. I haven't really used it for myself, though - usually just for e-books for the kids to use on Kindle Touch (with built-in text-to-speech).
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Every time I get into my car... my audio book starts off where it was last... I don't have to do a thing. I don't even know how it happens... how does it know its me, or somebody else?
                          Well, it's your phone, right. I suspect the car knows that much.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I didn't realize my using physical media was such an affront to the tender CS sensibilities.

The library does have Overdrive. I haven't really used it for myself, though - usually just for e-books for the kids to use on Kindle Touch (with built-in text-to-speech).
                            Well, it's just a whole lot easier. You don't have to drive to the library to pick up discs, you don't have to drive back to the library to drop of disks. You can just download audiobooks straight to your phone. If you don't like easier, more power to ya, I suppose!

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              Well, it's just a whole lot easier. You don't have to drive to the library to pick up discs, you don't have to drive back to the library to drop of disks. You can just download audiobooks straight to your phone. If you don't like easier, more power to ya, I suppose!
                              I just checked out "The Remains of the Day" as well as adding a few holds. Stinkin' peer pressure.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I still much prefer dead tree books to either audio or e books

That said I finished Feinstein's Civil War. Good read. He looks at the '95 seasons of both the USMA and USNA right up to THE game. West Point wins on a 99 yd, 2ft 6in drive when Navy inexplicably goes for a touchdown on 4th and goad from the 6 inch line up 13-7 and a field goal would have clinched the victory. "Napper's hero, Ronny McAda, leads the Black Knights on that drive and to their 4th straight win in rivalry (by a total of 6 pts)(what a difference a couple of decades makes).

Feinstein really brings to life what makes Army/Navy special. he tell the story through the eyes of the players, coaches and even the student body - highly recommended 4+ stars on GR

I also finished a short biography of Mozart, Mozart: The Man Revealed by John Suchet

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30732469-mozart

Fascinating look at one of the certifiable musical genises of all time. Lavishly illusrtrated

a few things I learned

He spent over 10 yrs of his first 30 yrs on the road (over 3700 days) visiting among other places: Venice, Milan, Rome, Paris, London and most of the important cities in Germany
                                He had two sons - both of whom tried to follow him as a musician, but neither were particularly successful. His first son became an accountant and his second son made a living as a pianist
                                His father tried was very controlling and tried to control him throughout his life
                                His humor was very smutty
                                He hated Salzburg
                                not only was he an accomplished symphonist, he was also an accomplished opera composer
                                He wasn't buried in a paupers grave, but received a class 3 funeral (the cheapest formal funeral available in the Vienna - paid for by one of the people he owed money to)
                                His wife successfully appealed to the Austrian Emperor for a pension after Mozart passed away and made a comfortable living off of the publishing rights to his music.
                                She are her second husband were writing his biography when the second husband passed away

I would rate this one 3.75 stars and round up for GR. I really need to read a more in depth
                                Last edited by happyone; 02-22-2018, 07:08 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X