What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Holy cow. Obviously my post was made in jest. I can't even remember now which dude said that he or his "sweet eternal companion" made it a goal to read all of Nelson talks.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

From the intro, "what better way to get to know him than reading all of his General Conference talks?" For me, a better way would be to take him out to dinner. If anyone here can arrange that, they can come along. My treat.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        From the intro, "what better way to get to know him than reading all of his General Conference talks?" For me, a better way would be to take him out to dinner. If anyone here can arrange that, they can come along. My treat.
        You are shameless.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Just finishing Fearless, the story of Navy SEAL Adam Brown. It is currently being made into a movie. Brown is from Arkansas and became heavily addicted to hard drugs, but somehow found Jesus, overcame his addiction, and became a top Navy SEAL. Inspiring story of redemption and perseverance.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Just finishing Fearless, the story of Navy SEAL Adam Brown. It is currently being made into a movie. Brown is from Arkansas and became heavily addicted to hard drugs, but somehow found Jesus, overcame his addiction, and became a top Navy SEAL. Inspiring story of redemption and perseverance.
            Not sure I referenced that book in this thread or not. I’ve read multiple books about the SEALS, Fearless was my favorite, at least as it relates to who it’s written about. American Sniper was my least favorite, I didn’t care for Chris Kyle at all (I read it before he was killed. So that didn’t effect my opinion, one way or another)

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              Not sure I referenced that book in this thread or not. I’ve read multiple books about the SEALS, Fearless was my favorite, at least as it relates to who it’s written about. American Sniper was my least favorite, I didn’t care for Chris Kyle at all (I read it before he was killed. So that didn’t effect my opinion, one way or another)
              Yep. The stories about the various battles in Fearless are secondary in my opinion. The real story is how he turned his life around and what he accomplished. Incredible.

Agree about Chris Kyle. Wasn't a big fan of the movie either.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Even though it was a lie, I liked when Chris Kyle attacked Jesse “The Mind” Ventura.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  American Sniper was dumb. Not sure how that got published or made into a movie.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    American Sniper was dumb. Not sure how that got published or made into a movie.
                    The vigil scenes where dozens of people show up and stay for days seemed kind of strange to me. Do people do that kind of stuff?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I enjoyed this book quite a bit. From a Mormon perspective it's interesting to read a book about the left/right (theological) divide in another religion for ways in which that divide both mirrors and doesn't mirror the Mormon left/right divide.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                        I enjoyed this book quite a bit. From a Mormon perspective it's interesting to read a book about the left/right (theological) divide in another religion for ways in which that divide both mirrors and doesn't mirror the Mormon left/right divide.
                        That sounds really interesting.

“If a conclave were to be held today,” one Roman source told The New Yorker, “Francis would be lucky to get ten votes.”

Wow, if true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That sounds really interesting.

“If a conclave were to be held today,” one Roman source told The New Yorker, “Francis would be lucky to get ten votes.”

Wow, if true.
                          Yeah, but according to the book Francis is also changing the composition of the college of cardinals at a pretty fast rate (far faster than John Paul or Benedict did) so he may have more solid support soon.

Also, if you haven't read Douthat's previous book, "Bad Religion: How We Become a Nation of Heretics", I liked that one too. Note, the "bad religion" examples for Mormons are Skousen and Glenn Beck.

Comment

• I finished Glantz' books on Stalingrad and Kursk - fairly readable, esp for Glantz. He tends to be a bit dry

Currently reading John Suchet newish bio - Beethoven: The Man Revealed.

I read his bio of Mozart recently and enjoyed it, so when I saw this on the library shelf, I decided to add to my knowledge of Classical Music

Suchet has a real easy writing style and is not afraid speculate where hard evidence is lacking.
                            Last edited by happyone; 04-11-2018, 07:35 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Pulitzers will be announced today. Haven’t read nearly as much new fiction as I usually do so it’ll be tough to come up with informed predictions, but this is a message board, why should I let that stop me? I still maintain the best book I read in this award year was Jesmyn Ward’s Sing, Unburied, Sing. I will be shocked if it’s not a finalist. I think since Silber’s Improvement won the NBCC Award it has to be considered. Lincoln in the Bardo won the Booker and was also a favorite of mine.These awards tend not to like duplicate winners though so you just never know. I didn’t read Pachinko but as often as it shows up on lists I have to think it’s in the mix. There are also several big names eligible, McDermott, Erdrich, Egan. I didn’t read McDermott’s book but neither Erdrich’s nor Egan’s rose to award winning levels for me. In fact, both were a bit of a let down.

My prediction:

Winner: Sing, Unburied, Sing

Finalists:

Pachinko
                              Lincoln in the Bardo
                              Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-16-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Wow, that was the worst I’ve ever done with predictions.

2D9F5247-1C2C-49D2-8232-86652BD73500.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X