What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I wasn't. I wish I had been, I liked it.
    So did I.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I am just finishing Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow. Fascinating story. His old man was a literal snake oil salesman and left John D. (eldest child) and his mother and siblings to become a bigamist and live a dual live. That event and having to support the abandoned family helped shape his character. Then he was in the right time at the right place as the petroleum industry was born. The guy seldom made the wrong move and was ruthless. At the same time, he was ultra-religious. Never touched alcohol and was very generous late in life. Recommended.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I finished Artemis, the 2nd book by Andy Weir. It was a fun little sci-fi book, but not on the same level as his first book, The Martian.

It’s about a 20 something female who’s grew up in Artemis, a city built on the Moon. She is an under-achieving minor hooligan, who gets caught up in a power play for economic control of the moons resources. There is some interesting scientific speculation about living on the moon. The story itself is entertaining, but not as compelling as surviving on Mars. Maybe it’s because the antagonist is not just the environment itself, but various people and groups of people.

Comment

• I'm 80% done listening to Born to Run... Read in the voice of Bruce Himself. I've enjoyed this as much as I did Shoe Dog. There's a lot of talk about mental illness in his family, and I think his own personal bipolar manic depressive tendencies shaped a lot of his work. So many inside stories about his early life...

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I just finished High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30038933-high-noon

I thought it was a great read, I five starred it on Goodreads. In addition to the story of the making of the movie, This is the story of Hollywood and the Blacklist. The author looks a how so many in the entertainment industry got envolved with the Communist Party in the 30's and how most drifted away during the 40s and how that came home to roost in the 50s with the Communist scare and HUAC. Highly recommended.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. This one ended up at the top of a lot of people’s lists this year and I finally got a copy at my library. Didn't live up to the hype, a three star read for me, and would probably have ended up somewhere in the 8-10 spots on my 2017 list.

Finished my first 2018 release today, The Largesse of the Sea Monster by the late (May 2017) Denis Johnson. He writes beautifully about pain and suffering, especially that of addicts and the mentally ill. In addition, I enjoyed the reflections on death by middle aged characters beginning to sense their own mortality. Highly recommended, Jan 2018 release.
              Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-23-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• My first read of the 2018 is a new bio of Luther

Martin Luther: Renegade and Prophet

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-martin-luther

considering it is the 500th anniversary of his nailing the 95 thesis on the cathedral door, I thought is was apt.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• We Are Legion (We Are Bob), by Dennis E. Taylor. A riotous read that uses only half a brain.
                  Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-09-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Finished Ready Player One last week, now I'm reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      Finished Ready Player One last week, now I'm reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.
                      Was ready player one any good? I've had it sitting unopened on my kindle for a couple of years.

Comment

• Finished The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin. I believe it comes out today. Held my attention, but I couldn't shake the feeling I'd read it before. It reminded me quite a bit of Chabon's Moonglow. Would be rated hard R as a film (which I believe is in the works).

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                          Was ready player one any good? I've had it sitting unopened on my kindle for a couple of years.
                          What?! Its great! Its not high literature or anything, but its a really fun read.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                            I really liked it. Fun read.

Comment

• I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. I got it on my kindle app, so I had no idea how long it was. Its over a 1000 pages! This is my first Stephenson novel. Man, the guy is long-winded. Still only about 300 pages in.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm currently reading three books, depending on my mood.

The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared - very entertaining story. The author has a very subtle but poignant sense of humor. just over half way through.

The Road the Character - About 1/3 through. Loved the introduction. Brooks is an excellent story teller who has explored a couple of historical figures (so far) that I wasn't all that familiar with.

Superfreakonomics - for some light reading on the kindle when I have a few extra minutes while waiting in line.

Comment

Working...
                                X