Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black licorice - :barf

regular red vines - :yum!

Currently reading a look at the French- Indian War, which can be argued was one theater of the first real world war

Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rucible_of_War

While mainly focusing on North America, the author looks at all the theaters where the war was fought - Europe, India, the Caribbean etc
    Last edited by happyone; 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Black licorice (or "licorice", as its correctly called) is delicious in all its forms.

SE only please.
      yes, non-black licorice is not licorice
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Sing, Unburied, Sing wins the National Book Award for Fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Give me some Red Vines brand black licorice.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            Sing, Unburied, Sing wins the National Book Award for Fiction.
            You called it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              [COLOR=#800080]I love black licorice. But not Good n' Plentys. And not Twizzlers. And not that weird Aussie crap that everybody seems to think is awesome but really isn't. Give me some Red Vines brand black licorice, or, preferably, some Haribo licorice wheels
              How can you love licorice and not like the Plenties?
              You must be picking the stale boxes from the shelf. I always sift through them checking the dates to get a fresh one.
              A soft Good and Plenty is plenty good.

The best licorice is the big bag of random stuff they sold at Smiths grocery store. It had a fair bit of waste as it wasn’t all black, but worth it
              I intend to live forever.
              So far, so good.
              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                You called it.
                Piney was right there with me on this one. I've had a lucky year with predictions.

Comment

• Annie Proulx’s speech at the National Book Awards was a highlight of the broadcast. The opening lines were excellent:

FE08E04C-B512-47FB-9C73-26CCA58D8A14.jpg

Comment

• Jeez. What a Debbie Downer.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• At this point, it's basically becoming Oprah's Book Club, but I'm reading The Nix now also based on the recommendations here and I spent part of my bus ride to work (mass transit rules somewhat suffices!) trying not to laugh out loud during Pwnage's visits to the Whole Foods-esque grocery store and his struggles against the imagined judgments of the cashier. "You have got to represent!"
                      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        Thanks (and I mean that) to SB, BP and JL, I finally picked up a copy of The Nix and have been immensely entertained. I have about 100 pages to go and I'm already sad it's nearing a very uncertain conclusion. The main story is interesting and very well-written, but it's the many side characters and stories that enrich the experience. Before turning off the light last night, I read what seemed like a multipage sentence about pwnage's effort to finally give up Elfcraft (a WoW-like computer game) and it was deeply touching. Between pwnage, Periwinkle, Laura, Bishop, Charlie Brown, and a few others, not to mention the primary narrative, I'm having a great time. Thanks for the rec.
                        I believe that entire chapter was two sentences. And the first sentence was just a few words long.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Just started High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30038933-high-noon

As you can tell from the title its a look at the making of the classic Western and the political climate of the day - the height of the post war Red Scare and its affect on the film industry.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Ari Fliakos, the narrator for The Nix, wins the 2017 Narrator of the Year award from Audible.com.

https://www.audible.com/ep/BOTY-2017_NarratorOfTheYear

But it was based on 2017 work. The Nix was the 2016 audio book of the year winner, I am sure partly due to Fliakos' performance. He is on a roll.

Anyone read Spoonbenders?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• You guys will like this...

Reading/listening to Dan Browns Origin... As I was passing over the Willamette Pass today on the way to K Falls... it alluded to the Tree of Life being a metaphor for multiple dimensions with the branches as decisions we make, and the leaves are where we live out the choices of our decisions in multiple universes. Of course that caught my attention.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Ari Fliakos, the narrator for The Nix, wins the 2017 Narrator of the Year award from Audible.com.

https://www.audible.com/ep/BOTY-2017_NarratorOfTheYear

But it was based on 2017 work. The Nix was the 2016 audio book of the year winner, I am sure partly due to Fliakos' performance. He is on a roll.

Anyone read Spoonbenders?
                                No, but it (and the audiobook) are in my queue now!
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X