Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 2440

Thread: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yeah, that was nuts. Really felt sorry for those kids, especially the Schultz grandson.
    yeah, that was crazy. Grandpa was a mean idiot.

My library copy of Killing Commendatore was paged wrong. Finally got the new copy and am getting back into it, coming up on the halfway mark. Really is the best I've read from him since Wind Up Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    My library copy of Killing Commendatore was paged wrong. Finally got the new copy and am getting back into it, coming up on the halfway mark. Really is the best I've read from him since Wind Up Bird.
    I assume this is another Bill O'Reilly book.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I assume this is another Bill O'Reilly book.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    This weekend I read the Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) book Win Bigly.

I gotta say itís kind of an essential book for understanding the Trump phenomenon.
    Just finishing up this book now. Whether you love Trump or hate him, this will help you understand him. The book was definitely worth the time to read.

Finished today "Where the Crawdad's Sing." Was looking for something a little different than my normal book. This delivered different, but I'm not gushing over it like all the five star review... written by women. Was interesting early - then it became predictable as it reached to sell the screen rights.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I just started A World Ablaze
    A newish look a Martin Luther and the beginnings of the Reformation. If it means anything, it's by BYU history professor, Craig Harline and is published by Oxford University Press.

I finished A World Ablaze

Good read - not very long and Harline keeps the Theology down to the minimum needed to understand the why of Luther's arguments with the Church. The main focus of the narrative is the 5 yrs between when he put the 95 Thesis on the church door at Wittenberg (1517) and to when he returned to Wittenberg after the Diet of Worms (1522). In addition to the Church politics, and just why it took so long for Rome to excommunicate him, there is quite a bit about politics of the Holy Roman Empire.

Harline is a bit irreverent, he always calls Luther - Brother Martin or Prof Martin, never by his last time and a bit humorous in the way his tells the story.

I thought it was a good overview of the beginnings of the Reformation. 4 stars on GR
    Last edited by happyone; 11-14-2018 at 08:34 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Recently finished A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa. He was a Japanese citizen and his mother was Japanese and his father was Korean and they were living in Japan. His father was brought to Japan during WW2 as a forced laborer (slave). He was originally from South Korea. Times were rough getting decent work in Japan and they were told that they should go to North Korea because it was paradise on earth. As the ship was pulling up to dock, they realized they had made a huge mistake. Life was absolute hell in NK.

Incredible true story. Short read.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Started SAINTS today... maybe I'll learn a thing or two that I didn't know or appreciate.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

I just finished a biography of one of the movers and shakers in the Cold War CIA - James Angleton

Ghost

I first heard about him in Ben McIntyre's book on Kim Philby

He was head of counter intelligence for the CIA during the 60s and almost destroyed it due to "Mole hunts" after the new broke that Philby was a Soviet Mole in MI-6

In addition to the mole hunt information, there is a lot of what the CIA knew about Lee Harvey Oswald. He was on the CIA's radar staring in 1959 and Angleton kept it a very close hold on the info and lied to the Warren Commission about what the CIA knew about him.

To sum up Angleton, he was a man to whom the ends definitely justified the means. According to the author he was up to his neck in the illegal activities of the CIA during the 50's and 60s

Solid 4 star read on GR

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."