What Are You Reading Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    I can't believe you read that shiz!?! I just lost a little respect for you.
    Sad but true. I figured I might as well throw it out there because otherwise that's a bullet in Gidget's gun.

I thought my eyes were going to roll out of my head while reading it. I seriously understand less about women after reading that book. Oh and Pelagius.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Book 2 of the Dark Tower Series.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Art of War....by as Tony Soprano would call...SHOON ZOO.

Comment

Better -- Atul Gawande. Loved it, highly recommended look into the medical system. Recently finished, now on to...

How Doctors Think -- Jerome Groopman. About 2/3 of the way through. This one's also been good, but thus far I think Better was....well, you know.

Comment

The Looming Tower.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Read "Love is a Mixtape" last weekend. Just started reading "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs."
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I'm reading one fiction and one non-fiction currently.

Non- Then We Set His Hair on Fire
              Fiction- Brave New World

Dusenberry is a legend and his book looked interesting so I picked it up.

As far as Brave New World goes, well, I had never read that book or Farenheit 451 so I picked them up to round out my distopian readings. In Brave New World I have found my distopian dream girl.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                Finished this one earlier this week:

The Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Charles B. MacDonald

I read this book as a teenager and remembered it as being very good. A few months ago, I posted a thread about the Huertgen Forest at my history group and I looked for but could not find a copy of this book among my collection. Then a few weeks ago I found one at the local paperback exchange.

MacDonald was company commander in the 23rd Infantry Regiment which was all set to fight in the Huertgen Forest but got caught up in the German counteroffensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge. This book is very well written, one of the few written about his particular battle. MacDonald does a very good job of placing the battle in the larger context of the war on the western front.

I've been wanting to read The Battle of the Huertgen Forest for a while, but it was out of print and I couldn't find it. Three of the six divions that were in the path of the German assult in the Ardennes were rebuilding from that battle.
                I really like Company Comander and A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge by the same author.

I just finished A Dawn Like Thunder It is the story of Torpedo Squadron 8 at Midway and Guadalcanel. It is an intresting read about how they rebuilt a shattered squadron and made it a very good squadron and the differece in personalities of commanders and leaders. One was beloved and the other hated, but they both made effective squadrons.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                  I've been wanting to read The Battle of the Huertgen Forest for a while, but it was out of print and I couldn't find it. Three of the six divions that were in the path of the German assult in the Ardennes were rebuilding from that battle.
                  I really like Company Comander and A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge by the same author.
                  Found it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Huertge.../dp/0812218310
                  Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                  Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                  Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Slaughterhouse 5.

next up: Tipping Point by Gladwell.

my wife is reading "Poisonwood Bible" and really digging it.
                    I intend to live forever.
                    So far, so good.
                    --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      Slaughterhouse 5.

next up: Tipping Point by Gladwell.

my wife is reading "Poisonwood Bible" and really digging it.
                      The Insiders by Craig Hickman. Very fun read (plus, I helped edit it!).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        The Looming Tower.
                        One of the best books I've read in years.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          What's it about?

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            Yeah, I picked it up on your recommendation.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The Hero of Ages, by Brandon Sanderson.

Third book of his Mistborn trilogy.

Great fantasy trilogy, by the way.
                              Last edited by SoCalCoug; 07-13-2009, 11:33 PM. Reason: Misplaced a "the"
                              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                                Hero of the Ages, by Brandon Sanderson.

Third book of his Mistborn trilogy.

Great fantasy trilogy, by the way.
                                I will have to check it out...I enjoy fantasy
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X