Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2279

Thread: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I just checked out "The Remains of the Day" as well as adding a few holds. Stinkin' peer pressure.
    Really enjoying this one. Love the style of the prose.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Listening to "It" for the first time. It's great and I really like the narrator (Steven Weber... I recognize him from the 90's comedy Wings).

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Listening to "It" for the first time. It's great and I really like the narrator (Steven Weber... I recognize him from the 90's comedy Wings).
    the book is pretty gnarly
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I'm looking for a change of pace. Might throw this one in the old CD player (right Pelado?).
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I'm looking for a change of pace. Might throw this one in the old CD player (right Pelado?).
    Go for "It"!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Reading (well, listening to) Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory. Read by Ari Fliakos (who also read The Nix). Its about a family with mental/psychi abilities, who are sometimes also con men. Very enjoyable so far.
    I am halfway through reading this and really like it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I recently finished Artemis, by the guy that wrote The Martian. Not very good, imo.

I also read The end of the world running club by Adrian J Walker. Pretty good post-apocalyptic book.

Slowly working my way through the Wheel of Time series as well. Book 0-3 are done. Robert Jordan could have told the same story in 1/3 the length. Sheesh that guy was verbose.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Slowly working my way through the Wheel of Time series as well. Book 0-3 are done. Robert Jordan could have told the same story in 1/3 the length. Sheesh that guy was verbose.
    This only gets worse until Sanderson takes over. The first few books are postively terse in comparison to say books 7 and 8.

I am halfway through reading this and really like it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been reading a couple of John Sandford's books in the Virgil Flowers series. Virgil is a funny dude and I generally like Sandford's quirky Minnesotan characters. I'm reading Dark of the Moon right now, which I think is the first Virgil book. Just finished Escape Clause a few days ago, which might be the latest Virgil book? Anyway, I find myself laughing out loud (not cracking up, but chuckling) fairly often in these detective/crime thrillers.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Worst Hard Time - interesting look at the dust bowl era - what caused it, what conditions were like, etc.
    - Goatnapper'96

I should be getting the next Flavia de Luce book through the libary this week. I love mysteries, but that series is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    This only gets worse until Sanderson takes over. The first few books are postively terse in comparison to say books 7 and 8.
    Ugh, that make me tug on my braid. My friend read through book 8 and then quit. My goal is to beat him to the end. Seeing as how he has been on 9 for over 2 years, I am pretty sure I have thing in the bag.

I should be getting the next Flavia de Luce book through the libary this week. I love mysteries, but that series is one of my favorites.
    I have never read (nor even heard of) that series. Just downloaded the ebook and audiobook for The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I have never read (nor even heard of) that series. Just downloaded the ebook and audiobook for The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

I have listened to a couple of them and I really didn't like the woman who read them. Prefer to read them.

I have listened to a couple of them and I really didn't like the woman who read them. Prefer to read them.
    Aw crap. I hate it when the narrator ruins the book. I've about given up on anything Scott Brick narrates.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Aw crap. I hate it when the narrator ruins the book. I've about given up on anything Scott Brick narrates.
    Yes. Thank you. Scott brick is the terriblest.

Yes. Thank you. Scott brick is the terriblest.
    He ruins ALL THE BOOKS!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Worst Hard Time - interesting look at the dust bowl era - what caused it, what conditions were like, etc.
    great book - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

I'm currently reading a look at Stalin and Lenin's attempts to bring the Ukraine into line at the same time feed the Russian cities and the resulting "famine" of the early 1930s

Red Famine

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33864676-red-famine

The first 100 pages or so look at the Ukraine's attempts to become independent following WW I and the Bolshevik takeover of the gov't.

There was a "famine" much like the early '30s in 1920-21 when Lenin attempted to feed the rest of Russia with Ukrainian Grain that didn't exist.
    The workforce to grow the grain didn't exist either - the young men were either dead or in one of the revolutionary armies. The author quotes a statistic that the Ukrainian harvest in 1921
    was less the 8% of the 1913 harvest.

It's a little dry, but fascinating never-the-less.
    Last edited by happyone; 02-27-2018 at 09:10 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

One of the great experiences in Washington politics happens at the end of the book during the congress filibuster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He ruins ALL THE BOOKS!

My apologies if I've already posted these thoughts. Have taken a turn away from the newest stuff to read some classics this year:

Gravity's Rainbow- Answers the question "is there a book more difficult than Ulysses?". Yes. Also answers the question "does the object exist that Pynchon can't turn into a penis?" No. Pynchon is supremely talented but I was happy to finally finish this one and get out of his head. I can't survive there for long.

Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe series #1-#3. Love these. They are all the same but they're great.

Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Importance of Being Earnest. Does anyone do witty dialog better than Wilde? It was fun to have coincidentally read Wilde before Chandler as I was able to feel Wilde's influence on Philip Marlowe's quick wit (I'm assuming this influence).

Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.

Lord of the Rings. Loved it as much as I thought I would.

The Hobbit. Made the mistake of reading this after LotR and found the difference in tone shocking. Didn't realize it was essentially a children's book.

Walker Percy's The Moviegoer. Excellent but I think not being a southerner inhibits one's ability to fully take in its essence.

Virginia Woolfe's Mrs. Dalloway. It's like Ulysses except you understand every word.

gravity’s rainbow = circlejerk of the highest order.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    gravity’s rainbow = circlejerk of the highest order.
    Another feeling I couldn’t shake was that the whole thing reminded me of all my aging hippie HS teachers, especially their humor. As in they thought they were edgier and funnier than I thought they were. The whole time I was reading I felt their presence, could picture them laughing their asses off and me realizing I was just born too late to appreciate whatever it is they’re finding so amazing. Give me Infinite Jest all day over GR.

I finished Red Famine - really good look at the 1930 Ukrainian "famine" and Stalin's forced collectivization of agriculture

my thoughts, if any one is interested

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2309642441

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and really enjoyed it. I read and listened, but to be honest, I really liked the narrator. I thought she brought Flavia to life. I'm now on to the second Flavia book.

Thanks for the recommendation.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Dry by Jane Harper

Pretty good Australian whodunnit

Finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and really enjoyed it. I read and listened, but to be honest, I really liked the narrator. I thought she brought Flavia to life. I'm now on to the second Flavia book.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Glad you liked it. I just finished the latest book. Was #9 or 10 in the series. One of my least favorite of them all, but overall I love the stories.

I've been reading a lot of plays the past couple of weeks:

Othello
    Henry V

A Raisin in the Sun- Lorraine Hansberry
    Top/Dog Underdog- Suzan-Lori Parks
    Ruined -Lynn Notage
    August:Osage County- Tracy Letts
    Becky Shaw- Gina Gionfriddo
    Glengarry Glen Ross- David Mamet
    The Pillowman- Martin McDonagh (of 3 billboards fame)

All are highly recommended. I will warn that The Pillowman is disturbing in many ways but a really well done disturbing if that makes sense.

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

I finally read Hillbilly Elegy and maybe it was hyped up too much for me, but it wasn't the amazing book I thought it would be. The national reviews touted how eye-opening it was, but I guess it was too close to home in so many aspects that it didn't open my eyes to much beyond how much hillbillies cuss in comparison to more genteel parts of the South (the women, at least).
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

My wife and I both read Oil and Marble recently. It is a historical novel about Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci and their time in Florence as rivals. Machiavelli, Raphael and a few others make an appearance. Crazy to think that these people were all contemporaries. We are headed back to Florence in May, so it was a fun read. Recommended.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    My wife and I both read Oil and Marble recently. It is a historical novel about Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci and their time in Florence as rivals. Machiavelli, Raphael and a few others make an appearance. Crazy to think that these people were all contemporaries. We are headed back to Florence in May, so it was a fun read. Recommended.
    I'm sure you have your arrangements planned, but if you can either stay here or just tour the winery/olive press, this is a beautiful area:

http://www.villasandrea.com/englishindex

We've been there twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I'm sure you have your arrangements planned, but if you can either stay here or just tour the winery/olive press, this is a beautiful area:

http://www.villasandrea.com/englishindex

We've been there twice.
    That looks fun. Yeah, we already have hotel reservations. Not far from the Duomo.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster