Ha. Good point.

I liked it.
    I enjoyed it as well.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Freedom at Midnight

It covers the independence of India including the partition of India and the birth of Pakistan. It's really fascinating. It's one of the books used for the basis of The Viceroy's House film.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find. This edition: https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Midni.../dp/B00OEIHU52 can be had used for pretty cheap. There are older editions out there and editions published in both the UK and India, in English and in Hindi. I managed to get my hands on the Indian edition in English.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I enjoyed it as well.
        Same. Really enjoyed SHoe Dog.
        *Banned*

Comment

• My reading over the past couple months:

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. This was a re-read of a favorite.
          But Beautiful by Geoff Dyer, a very interesting bit of historical fiction about Jazz recommended to me by OrangeUte.
          Memento Mori by Muriel Spark, quirky and often funny novel about being old.
          Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson, this is one I've been meaning to read for a long time and it didn't disappoint.
          Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, just because.
          Benito Cereno by Melville. Man, what Tarantino could do with this story with a modern rewrite for its ending.
          Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier. Very much enjoyed this one. Wish I could read it in French.

Currently Reading:

In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu. Published in 1870s, gothic ghost stories. It's actually structured a lot like a 19th century X-Files and it's a been a great read so far.

Comment

• Finished a couple of books:

Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor. Focus on Queen Mary, but an interesting history of the royal family from Victoria down to the current queen. Also a fascinating account of the decline of royalty in europe.

Evil Has a Name. The story of the decades long investigation that finally led to the capture of the Golden State Killer last year. This is audio-book only production that is done kind of like an extended podcast (six hours). It is narrated mostly by investigators and victims. One of the best audiobooks I have ever listened to. Highly recommended.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Just finished Red Notice by Bill Browder. Hard to review this without reverting to hyperbole. Fantastic book. First half is a thrilling story of how he built up a $6B investment fund from scratch primarily by finding opportunities in post-Soviet Russia. Found some buys that results in 1000x gains. Also had some huge losses. Second half of the book is a shocking story of murder, corruption, cover-up, etc. Story ends up involving the US house, senate, state dept. and presidency, not to mention the highest levels of the Russian government. Reinforces once again how utterly evil Putin is. Russia is a crazy place.
              As part of my weekly lesson with a Ukrainian woman I tutor in English, we discuss current events in Russia and Ukraine. I've expressed interest in Putin's corruption and what seems to be a hybrid kleptocracy/oligarchy (she is not a fan). This week she handed me Red Notice and said simply, "Read this." I had forgotten your review and comments, but they're spot on. I'm only 100 pages in but I'll finish before next week's lesson where this will be topic no. 1. Fascinating book, and a quick read. Strongly recommended.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                As part of my weekly lesson with a Ukrainian woman I tutor in English, ...
                It's been a long time since I've read a post that had such a promising start. What a buzzkill.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Just finished Red Notice and as the Dude noted, it really is fantastic, and the final couple of pages pack an emotional wallop. It's a case study in how Putin and the oligarchs work, and why the Magnitsky Act is such a big deal. The book caused me to go back and watch the Trump/Putin press conference in Helsinki and at least one of two conclusions is inescapable: Trump is either in the bag with Putin, or he's astonishingly dumb and uninformed as a U.S. President. Perhaps both are true.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Just finished Red Notice and as the Dude noted, it really is fantastic, and the final couple of pages pack an emotional wallop. It's a case study in how Putin and the oligarchs work, and why the Magnitsky Act is such a big deal. The book caused me to go back and watch the Trump/Putin press conference in Helsinki and at least one of two conclusions is inescapable: Trump is either in the bag with Putin, or he's astonishingly dumb and uninformed as a U.S. President. Perhaps both are true.
                    That book is mind-blowing. And scary.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I'm currently reading The Field of Blood
                      It about violence in the precivil war congress and how southern senators and congressmen stifled debate on slavery. According to the author there were at least 70 assaults by members of congress on other members of congress between 1830-1860 and one death (a duel gone bad).

So far it been interesting, if a bit dry. I saw the author a BookTV a few months back. She is a Yale history professor.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Almost finished with Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene. At times it's a slog, but generally pretty good. I like it better than his other books, a bit less Machiavellian than 48 Laws of Power and Art of Seduction. It requires a bit more introspection, which can be unpleasant.

Comment

• I just read a book by Alex Berenson called Tell Your Children - The truth about marijuana, mental illness, and violence.

The dude builds a very compelling case that marijuana use increases the risk of schizophrenia and other serious paranoid mental illnesses and also can precipitate extreme and random violent acts by some vulnerable individuals.

Usually I’m pretty set in my opinions but this one changed the way I think about marijuana legalization. Probably the UK has it right on this issue. It’s Ok to decriminalize it but strongly discourage use, particularly in young people.

He shares the story of this LDS guy who went psychotic and killed his wife after using marijuana: http://www.rmpbs.org/blogs/news/excl...-wifes-murder/

Comment

• do people really like this jordan peterson book? it takes him 40 pages to make each boring “no shit” point.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              do people really like this jordan peterson book? it takes him 40 pages to make each boring “no shit” point.
                              Apparently, yes. And often exactly for the reason you deride.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                do people really like this jordan peterson book? it takes him 40 pages to make each boring “no shit” point.
                                I think the points are obvious for people on this board but not so obvious to a lot of men in their 20s and 30s who think that happiness will come from maximally avoiding commitment, responsibility, and hard work.

Comment

Working...
                                X