Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2355

Thread: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That looks fun. Yeah, we already have hotel reservations. Not far from the Duomo.
    Cool. Well If you do a day trip south to San Gimignano or Siena, it's right off the highway. They can package up some olive oil to bring home.

That looks fun. Yeah, we already have hotel reservations. Not far from the Duomo.
    awesome, I really like Florence.

have always avoided zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and am about halfway through. not sure why people like it...?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    have always avoided zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and am about halfway through. not sure why people like it...?
    Loved it, but it has been at least 20 years.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Yeah, I felt the same way; tough one to get thru.

My wife and I both read Oil and Marble recently. It is a historical novel about Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci and their time in Florence as rivals. Machiavelli, Raphael and a few others make an appearance. Crazy to think that these people were all contemporaries. We are headed back to Florence in May, so it was a fun read. Recommended.
    Agree its, a good book - I read it just before I read the new De Vinci bio - I thought it was fascinating to compare the history in them.

I'm currently reading Ben Kane's trilogy about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9AD

Eagles at War
    Hunting the Eagles
    Eagles in the Storm

All three are ILLs and have to be read by 6 Apr
    Last edited by happyone; 03-23-2018 at 04:10 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Finished the second Flavia De Luce novel a few days ago - The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag. Flavia is such a fun character. This one wasn't quite as good as the first, but still worth the read.

Now reading Heat Lightning by John Sandford, the second in the Virgil Flowers series. That f#ckin' Flowers. He's great. I almost like him better than Lucas Davenport.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Just finished Get Well Soon on audible. Relatively short (9.5 hrs) history of plagues, pandemics, etc. and how humans responded. The author has a very casual and witty style that I enjoyed, and it actually works with this topic. The narrator was excellent. One of the more enjoyable audiobook experiences I have had. She eviscerates the anti-vax movement, so that added to my enjoyment. Check it out.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I was the same. Got about half way through and put it away out of boredom. I know several people that put it in their top 10 all time. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I was the same. Got about half way through and put it away out of boredom. I know several people that put it in their top 10 all time. I don't get it.
    I read this book when I was about 16, not long after it was published. I recall thinking it was very profound, but I have zero recollection as to why.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I finished the Teutoburg Forest Trilogy by Ben Kane - I enjoyed them. Set in between 9AD-16AD, Dr Kane tells the story of the debacle in the Forest (one of Rome's worst defeats ever and it stopped Rome's expansion into Germany) and the punishment expeditions in 14, 15, and 16 AD. Dr. Kane has a different take than normal on Varus, the Roman Commander in 9AD. I'd recommend them to any one who like Historical Fiction or is interested in Ancient Rome

Currently reading Katheryn Gordon Jenkin new Bio of J. Golden Kimball - J. Golden Kimball: The Remarkable Man Behind the Colorful Stories

It's short, only about 150 pages - should be a quick read

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

I just finished Heat Lightning by John Sanderson. I think its no. 2 (maybe 3) in the Virgil Flowers series. Virgil is a great character. I imagine it must be hard for prolific writers like Sanderson to come up with new and fresh murder mysteries. Sometimes they feel forced. This one was a little out there, but not in a bad way. Recommended.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I finished the Teutoburg Forest Trilogy by Ben Kane - I enjoyed them. Set in between 9AD-16AD, Dr Kane tells the story of the debacle in the Forest (one of Rome's worst defeats ever and it stopped Rome's expansion into Germany) and the punishment expeditions in 14, 15, and 16 AD. Dr. Kane has a different take than normal on Varus, the Roman Commander in 9AD. I'd recommend them to any one who like Historical Fiction or is interested in Ancient Rome

Currently reading Katheryn Gordon Jenkin new Bio of J. Golden Kimball - J. Golden Kimball: The Remarkable Man Behind the Colorful Stories

It's short, only about 150 pages - should be a quick read
    I was right, the Kimball bio didn't take long - about an hour of reading time. Not particularly original, but it had some stuff on his family life that I hadn't heard before. According to the author, he a verey troubled marriage. His wife was very resentful of his church service. He was never home and basically left his wife to raise their 6 children alone. We've discussed GA compensation on this board a bit, back then GAs definately weren't getting rich. His salary, what there was of it, from the church was $65/mth. That wasn't as a GA, but as the secretary to the Pres of Seventy. As the author described their troubled marriage, I can't help to think that if they had live 100 or even 50 yrs later it would have ended in divorce. Also he was the last GA to file for personal bankruptcy.

He also had trouble with his kids - 4 of the 6 left the church. All 3 of his daughters were sexually indiscrete. 2 had affairs with married men and one had a illegitimate daughter. The third's husband killed her purported lover and the murder trial was all over the Salt Lake papers in the summer of 1917. The husband was aquitted. Ms. Jenkins didn't say what happened to the marriage.

Over all, I think Arrignton's bio, J. Golden, is much better, but it doesn't cover his family life very well.

This is only a 3 star read - the writing style is annoying as well as the layout of the book. Things that he supposedly said are in sidebars and really break up the flow of the book.

Next up a couple of ILLs by David Glantz on the Great Patriotic War - his book on the Battle of Kursk and an abridgement of his books on Stalingrad.
    Last edited by happyone; 03-31-2018 at 08:42 AM.

The last 34 years of President Nelson's talks.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    The last 34 years of President Nelson's talks.
    This is now a thing.

https://ableday.org/70-day-president-nelson-study/
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Holy cow. Obviously my post was made in jest. I can't even remember now which dude said that he or his "sweet eternal companion" made it a goal to read all of Nelson talks.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

From the intro, "what better way to get to know him than reading all of his General Conference talks?" For me, a better way would be to take him out to dinner. If anyone here can arrange that, they can come along. My treat.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    From the intro, "what better way to get to know him than reading all of his General Conference talks?" For me, a better way would be to take him out to dinner. If anyone here can arrange that, they can come along. My treat.
    You are shameless.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Just finishing Fearless, the story of Navy SEAL Adam Brown. It is currently being made into a movie. Brown is from Arkansas and became heavily addicted to hard drugs, but somehow found Jesus, overcame his addiction, and became a top Navy SEAL. Inspiring story of redemption and perseverance.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Just finishing Fearless, the story of Navy SEAL Adam Brown. It is currently being made into a movie. Brown is from Arkansas and became heavily addicted to hard drugs, but somehow found Jesus, overcame his addiction, and became a top Navy SEAL. Inspiring story of redemption and perseverance.
    Not sure I referenced that book in this thread or not. Iíve read multiple books about the SEALS, Fearless was my favorite, at least as it relates to who itís written about. American Sniper was my least favorite, I didnít care for Chris Kyle at all (I read it before he was killed. So that didnít effect my opinion, one way or another)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Not sure I referenced that book in this thread or not. I’ve read multiple books about the SEALS, Fearless was my favorite, at least as it relates to who it’s written about. American Sniper was my least favorite, I didn’t care for Chris Kyle at all (I read it before he was killed. So that didn’t effect my opinion, one way or another)
    Yep. The stories about the various battles in Fearless are secondary in my opinion. The real story is how he turned his life around and what he accomplished. Incredible.

Agree about Chris Kyle. Wasn't a big fan of the movie either.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Even though it was a lie, I liked when Chris Kyle attacked Jesse “The Mind” Ventura.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Not sure I referenced that book in this thread or not. Iíve read multiple books about the SEALS, Fearless was my favorite, at least as it relates to who itís written about. American Sniper was my least favorite, I didnít care for Chris Kyle at all (I read it before he was killed. So that didnít effect my opinion, one way or another)
    American Sniper was dumb. Not sure how that got published or made into a movie.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    American Sniper was dumb. Not sure how that got published or made into a movie.
    The vigil scenes where dozens of people show up and stay for days seemed kind of strange to me. Do people do that kind of stuff?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    I enjoyed this book quite a bit. From a Mormon perspective it's interesting to read a book about the left/right (theological) divide in another religion for ways in which that divide both mirrors and doesn't mirror the Mormon left/right divide.
    That sounds really interesting.

“If a conclave were to be held today,” one Roman source told The New Yorker, “Francis would be lucky to get ten votes.”

Wow, if true.

That sounds really interesting.

“If a conclave were to be held today,” one Roman source told The New Yorker, “Francis would be lucky to get ten votes.”

Wow, if true.
    Yeah, but according to the book Francis is also changing the composition of the college of cardinals at a pretty fast rate (far faster than John Paul or Benedict did) so he may have more solid support soon.

Also, if you haven't read Douthat's previous book, "Bad Religion: How We Become a Nation of Heretics", I liked that one too. Note, the "bad religion" examples for Mormons are Skousen and Glenn Beck.

I finished Glantz' books on Stalingrad and Kursk - fairly readable, esp for Glantz. He tends to be a bit dry

Currently reading John Suchet newish bio - Beethoven: The Man Revealed.

I read his bio of Mozart recently and enjoyed it, so when I saw this on the library shelf, I decided to add to my knowledge of Classical Music

Suchet has a real easy writing style and is not afraid speculate where hard evidence is lacking.
    Last edited by happyone; 04-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Pulitzers will be announced today. Haven’t read nearly as much new fiction as I usually do so it’ll be tough to come up with informed predictions, but this is a message board, why should I let that stop me? I still maintain the best book I read in this award year was Jesmyn Ward’s Sing, Unburied, Sing. I will be shocked if it’s not a finalist. I think since Silber’s Improvement won the NBCC Award it has to be considered. Lincoln in the Bardo won the Booker and was also a favorite of mine.These awards tend not to like duplicate winners though so you just never know. I didn’t read Pachinko but as often as it shows up on lists I have to think it’s in the mix. There are also several big names eligible, McDermott, Erdrich, Egan. I didn’t read McDermott’s book but neither Erdrich’s nor Egan’s rose to award winning levels for me. In fact, both were a bit of a let down.

My prediction:

Winner: Sing, Unburied, Sing

Finalists:

Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-16-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Wow, that was the worst I’ve ever done with predictions.

2D9F5247-1C2C-49D2-8232-86652BD73500.jpg