This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.

How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.
    I will bother with that response because that's the part that's ridiculous. If men were commonly judged by their penis size and/or commonly had self-confidence issues surrounding their penis size (and didn't have such a propensity to show them off anyway...), then I would actually see the value in a photo shoot, both as a statement to the world and an exercise for themselves in self-acceptance. Honestly, when I look at this gallery, there are a couple of "nice" bodies (no fantastic ones--to the photographer's credit), but I'm left with the impression that the human body is beautiful in all of its forms, akin to that when I look at the Venus de Milo/David/etc (on a smaller scale of course--I'm not comparing the two). I think it's a nice collection. You don't. Nothing wrong with difference in taste--I just wouldn't call it foolishness. I guess we can disagree there too, but how is it foolish? Is their participation in this really going to haunt them some day? I can't see how it would.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/

Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all--it's almost clinical--and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.

A possible litmus test: would I disappointed if my daughter participated in this? Absolutely not. No more than if she were a model for an art class or donated her body posthumously for an anatomy lab.
      You would be ok if your daughter did this? I find that hard to believe. Then again maybe you are a horrible parent I don't know that much about you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Meh.

I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.
        This is not erotica.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

They definitely are reclaiming their bodies as something other than an object of lust.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Meh.

I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.
            Non-sexual nudity has function in removing false ideas or expectations of perfect female bodies. There's a website called Shape of a Mother where women post pictures of their postpartum bodies. They have stretch marks and softness. And I felt kinship in with women who are normal women just like me whose bodies were changed by carrying and bearing a child.

I'm not saying people have to be naked to prove a point. But the message that only the hot and perfect should ever expose themselves is pretty ridiculous.
            "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              You would be ok if your daughter did this? I find that hard to believe. Then again maybe you are a horrible parent I don't know that much about you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
              No you dont youre probably right Im a horrible parent.
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Is BYU going to take back their degrees?
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

It would seem there are a lot of ways to very effectively reclaim power over your body without resorting to nude photography. Talk about overkill.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    I will bother with that response because that's the part that's ridiculous. If men were commonly judged by their penis size and/or commonly had self-confidence issues surrounding their penis size (and didn't have such a propensity to show them off anyway...), then I would actually see the value in a photo shoot, both as a statement to the world and an exercise for themselves in self-acceptance. Honestly, when I look at this gallery, there are a couple of "nice" bodies (no fantastic ones--to the photographer's credit), but I'm left with the impression that the human body is beautiful in all of its forms, akin to that when I look at the Venus de Milo/David/etc (on a smaller scale of course--I'm not comparing the two). I think it's a nice collection. You don't. Nothing wrong with difference in taste--I just wouldn't call it foolishness. I guess we can disagree there too, but how is it foolish? Is their participation in this really going to haunt them some day? I can't see how it would.
                    Let's see. Debate a point that I explicitly said I did not make and then throw out something else I didn't say (a matter of taste regarding quality of photos) for good measure. I am not sure I dare answer your latest question.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I think the nudity is misplaced. The proposed angst is against the values that the LDS Church teaches about bodies. Posing nude online is about the 23rd best way to reclaim positive body affirmation. The number one way to body affirmation is to exercise, and number two is what 50% of LDS women do, get some implants.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        I think the nudity is misplaced. The proposed angst is against the values that the LDS Church teaches about bodies. Posing nude online is about the 23rd best way to reclaim positive body affirmation. The number one way to body affirmation is to exercise, and number two is what 50% of LDS women do, get some implants.
                        The fuck?
                        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                          The fuck?
                          That's number three

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            That's number three
                            That made me laugh.

Comment

lol. Clack always delivers.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Let's see. Debate a point that I explicitly said I did not make and then throw out something else I didn't say (a matter of taste regarding quality of photos) for good measure. I am not sure I dare answer your latest question.
                                You said you weren't arguing that, but that was exactly what I found ridiculous about the analogy. We can't discuss the effectiveness of a small-penis shoot because I can't conceive of a world where that's a problem. If the world were like that, then like I said, yeah, I think that kind of photo shoot (under a different name, of course) might be effective, but the premise is so far-fetched that the situation sounds absurd, so it's difficult/silly to even say.

The taste question was just an assumption--I just assumed you didn't like it. If I'm wrong, fine--it's not germane to the point.

What I originally objected to was calling it "foolish". I'm not seeing that. No one whose opinion these women care about are going to ever judge them for their participation in this project.

Anyway--difference of opinion. I'll respect yours--I was just surprised by it. Others'? Not so much.
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X