This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon Women Bare

Mormon Women Bare is about reclaiming. It is about women reclaiming our bodies from a culture that teaches us that we belong to men, to God, to the society that objectifies us. It is about reclaiming the female body as more than just an object of lust or resistance. Through images and personal stories, this project breaks taboos by unabashedly showing what is supposed to be covered- our female form- while also exposing the often not talked about price of a culture that places a woman’s ultimate value on her so-called “virtue”. The women shown here are not paid models. They are your daughters and mothers, sisters and friends. They are different ages, shapes, and sizes. What they have in common is a shared history with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a tradition that seeks to both exalt the body as divine while treating its natural impulses as temptations to be overcome. These women show incredible bravery and vulnerability to share their stories through their words and their bodies. Together, we aim to show that bodies are beautiful and sacred, flawed and powerful, earthly and divine.
    WARNING: NUDE PHOTOGRAPHY INSIDE THE LINK, DEFINITELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

http://mormonwomenbare.com/

Sometimes there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've interacted with the photographer online for a long time now. She's a very funny, compassionate individual. And if being photographed in the nude helps women feel empowered and in control of their bodies, I'm happy for them. I'd be concerned about having such revealing photos of myself hanging around the net for a variety of reasons, but the photos and the intention behind them are lovely.
      "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Sometimes there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness.
        Yes, there is, but I don't think they're even close to that fine line. I know you're not old-fashioned about this kind of stuff, so I'm genuinely curious what you mean. If these were at all erotic or suggestive, I'd agree with you, but these seem really tame to me.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Yes, there is, but I don't think they're even close to that fine line. I know you're not old-fashioned about this kind of stuff, so I'm genuinely curious what you mean. If these were at all erotic or suggestive, I'd agree with you, but these seem really tame to me.
          When it comes to naked pics on the Internet I hold that the more erotic the less foolish.

Comment

I never said that they were erotic or suggestive. Seems to me like it is one of those cases with good intentions but poor execution. Do you really think they are going to change the minds of the rank and file of the LDS church by posting nude photos? Furthermore, are the nude photos really necessary to discuss the issues they are trying to address? Just seems way over the top and ultimately counterproductive to me.

Here's an analogy for you. My spam folder is full of e-mail hawking various methods for penis enlargement. Why don't we protest this societal trend by getting a group of guys with small penises together and taking a bunch of photos of those tiny johnsons and start a "Mormon Men Hang" website? Nah, I didn't think so.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I never said that they were erotic or suggestive. Seems to me like it is one of those cases with good intentions but poor execution. Do you really think they are going to change the minds of the rank and file of the LDS church by posting nude photos? Furthermore, are the nude photos really necessary to discuss the issues they are trying to address? Just seems way over the top and ultimately counterproductive to me.

Here's an analogy for you. My spam folder is full of e-mail hawking various methods for penis enlargement. Why don't we protest this societal trend by getting a group of guys with small penises together and taking a bunch of photos of those tiny johnsons and start a "Mormon Men Hang" website? Nah, I didn't think so.
              Exactly. It just seems like someone found a way to "tastefully" exploit these women's bodies.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Exactly. It just seems like someone found a way to "tastefully" exploit these women's bodies.
                I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but all the subjects were volunteers. If they were "exploited," they did it knowingly and willingly.
                "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                  I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but all the subjects were volunteers. If they were "exploited," they did it knowingly and willingly.
                  Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/

Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all--it's almost clinical--and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.

A possible litmus test: would I disappointed if my daughter participated in this? Absolutely not. No more than if she were a model for an art class or donated her body posthumously for an anatomy lab.
                  Last edited by ERCougar; 07-27-2013, 03:23 PM.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

They should text some of these to Internet strangers if they really want to feel empowered.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/
                      FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.

Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all, and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.
                      How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.

Comment

So when are we doing the small penis picture?
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.

How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.
                          So in your opinion, what sort comparable project would accomplish that purpose more effectively? I'm not trying to be a snot. I think this project was as much about the individual subjects reclaiming possession of their bodies as it was to foment political or social change.

Comment

Meh.

I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I don't think a person has to be hurt to be exploited. Their nude, Mormon bodies are being used for a sensational photography project.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                              X