Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 153

Thread: Mormon Women Bare

  1. #1

    Default Mormon Women Bare

    Mormon Women Bare is about reclaiming. It is about women reclaiming our bodies from a culture that teaches us that we belong to men, to God, to the society that objectifies us. It is about reclaiming the female body as more than just an object of lust or resistance. Through images and personal stories, this project breaks taboos by unabashedly showing what is supposed to be covered- our female form- while also exposing the often not talked about price of a culture that places a woman’s ultimate value on her so-called “virtue”. The women shown here are not paid models. They are your daughters and mothers, sisters and friends. They are different ages, shapes, and sizes. What they have in common is a shared history with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a tradition that seeks to both exalt the body as divine while treating its natural impulses as temptations to be overcome. These women show incredible bravery and vulnerability to share their stories through their words and their bodies. Together, we aim to show that bodies are beautiful and sacred, flawed and powerful, earthly and divine.
    WARNING: NUDE PHOTOGRAPHY INSIDE THE LINK, DEFINITELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

    http://mormonwomenbare.com/

  2. #2
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    32,218

    Default

    Sometimes there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  3. #3

    Default

    I've interacted with the photographer online for a long time now. She's a very funny, compassionate individual. And if being photographed in the nude helps women feel empowered and in control of their bodies, I'm happy for them. I'd be concerned about having such revealing photos of myself hanging around the net for a variety of reasons, but the photos and the intention behind them are lovely.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sometimes there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness.
    Yes, there is, but I don't think they're even close to that fine line. I know you're not old-fashioned about this kind of stuff, so I'm genuinely curious what you mean. If these were at all erotic or suggestive, I'd agree with you, but these seem really tame to me.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Yes, there is, but I don't think they're even close to that fine line. I know you're not old-fashioned about this kind of stuff, so I'm genuinely curious what you mean. If these were at all erotic or suggestive, I'd agree with you, but these seem really tame to me.
    When it comes to naked pics on the Internet I hold that the more erotic the less foolish.

  6. #6
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    32,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Yes, there is, but I don't think they're even close to that fine line. I know you're not old-fashioned about this kind of stuff, so I'm genuinely curious what you mean. If these were at all erotic or suggestive, I'd agree with you, but these seem really tame to me.
    I never said that they were erotic or suggestive. Seems to me like it is one of those cases with good intentions but poor execution. Do you really think they are going to change the minds of the rank and file of the LDS church by posting nude photos? Furthermore, are the nude photos really necessary to discuss the issues they are trying to address? Just seems way over the top and ultimately counterproductive to me.

    Here's an analogy for you. My spam folder is full of e-mail hawking various methods for penis enlargement. Why don't we protest this societal trend by getting a group of guys with small penises together and taking a bunch of photos of those tiny johnsons and start a "Mormon Men Hang" website? Nah, I didn't think so.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  7. #7
    Grave Robber Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I never said that they were erotic or suggestive. Seems to me like it is one of those cases with good intentions but poor execution. Do you really think they are going to change the minds of the rank and file of the LDS church by posting nude photos? Furthermore, are the nude photos really necessary to discuss the issues they are trying to address? Just seems way over the top and ultimately counterproductive to me.

    Here's an analogy for you. My spam folder is full of e-mail hawking various methods for penis enlargement. Why don't we protest this societal trend by getting a group of guys with small penises together and taking a bunch of photos of those tiny johnsons and start a "Mormon Men Hang" website? Nah, I didn't think so.
    Exactly. It just seems like someone found a way to "tastefully" exploit these women's bodies.
    Idon'tneedyourlovetodisconnecttorunaroundkidsinget-gocarswithvaselineafterbirthsandneoncoughsgalaxies fullofnobodiesgivingusthefarewellrunaroundItooka virginmaryaxetohissweetbabyjane,lostmyinnocenceto anogoodgirl,scratchmyfacewithanvilhands,andcoilmyt onguearoundabumblebeemouthandigiveitallbacktoyou

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Exactly. It just seems like someone found a way to "tastefully" exploit these women's bodies.
    I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but all the subjects were volunteers. If they were "exploited," they did it knowingly and willingly.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but all the subjects were volunteers. If they were "exploited," they did it knowingly and willingly.
    Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/

    Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all--it's almost clinical--and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.

    A possible litmus test: would I disappointed if my daughter participated in this? Absolutely not. No more than if she were a model for an art class or donated her body posthumously for an anatomy lab.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 07-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  10. #10
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    14,499

    Default

    They should text some of these to Internet strangers if they really want to feel empowered.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  11. #11
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    32,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/
    FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all, and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.
    How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

    My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  12. #12
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    21,536

    Default

    So when are we doing the small penis picture?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.



    How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

    My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.
    So in your opinion, what sort comparable project would accomplish that purpose more effectively? I'm not trying to be a snot. I think this project was as much about the individual subjects reclaiming possession of their bodies as it was to foment political or social change.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  14. #14
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    5,432

    Default

    Meh.

    I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

    However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

    Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

    However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.

  15. #15
    Grave Robber Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    10,059

    Default

    I don't think a person has to be hurt to be exploited. Their nude, Mormon bodies are being used for a sensational photography project.
    Idon'tneedyourlovetodisconnecttorunaroundkidsinget-gocarswithvaselineafterbirthsandneoncoughsgalaxies fullofnobodiesgivingusthefarewellrunaroundItooka virginmaryaxetohissweetbabyjane,lostmyinnocenceto anogoodgirl,scratchmyfacewithanvilhands,andcoilmyt onguearoundabumblebeemouthandigiveitallbacktoyou

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    FTR, I don't think they are being exploited.



    How so? It would be a protest against a societal trend that shames men into thinking that their bodies are somehow inadequate.

    My point was not to suggest that body image issues for men and women are on an equal scale, so don't bother with pursuing that response. The issue in question is the ultimate effectiveness of the method employed in the protest.
    I will bother with that response because that's the part that's ridiculous. If men were commonly judged by their penis size and/or commonly had self-confidence issues surrounding their penis size (and didn't have such a propensity to show them off anyway...), then I would actually see the value in a photo shoot, both as a statement to the world and an exercise for themselves in self-acceptance. Honestly, when I look at this gallery, there are a couple of "nice" bodies (no fantastic ones--to the photographer's credit), but I'm left with the impression that the human body is beautiful in all of its forms, akin to that when I look at the Venus de Milo/David/etc (on a smaller scale of course--I'm not comparing the two). I think it's a nice collection. You don't. Nothing wrong with difference in taste--I just wouldn't call it foolishness. I guess we can disagree there too, but how is it foolish? Is their participation in this really going to haunt them some day? I can't see how it would.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Exactly. This seems just as much for the women personally as it is for anyone else. Also, it has precedent: http://thenuproject.com/

    Maybe it's because I see naked people all the time and I'm completely desensitized to nudity, but this doesn't come across as exploitative at all--it's almost clinical--and the penis enlargement spam analogy is beyond ridiculous.

    A possible litmus test: would I disappointed if my daughter participated in this? Absolutely not. No more than if she were a model for an art class or donated her body posthumously for an anatomy lab.
    You would be ok if your daughter did this? I find that hard to believe. Then again maybe you are a horrible parent I don't know that much about you.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    *Banned*

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Meh.

    I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

    However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

    Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

    However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.
    This is not erotica.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  19. #19

    Default

    They definitely are reclaiming their bodies as something other than an object of lust.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Meh.

    I'll give a non-PC response here. Unless your form is a work of art, or you're going native or something, please cover. Erotica is one thing and given LDS culture, if you wish to really be part of the culture avoid posing for it. If it is along the lines of ancient, classical art, then do so as you wish.

    However, I agree with the Dude, that was poorly executed.

    Is the idea worthy? Perhaps. I agree that LDS culture on covering up is probably harmful to the pscyhe but it also forces a debate about other things the culture values.

    However, this was a mediocre attempt at forcing the issue, and the pics weren't worthy of examination.
    Non-sexual nudity has function in removing false ideas or expectations of perfect female bodies. There's a website called Shape of a Mother where women post pictures of their postpartum bodies. They have stretch marks and softness. And I felt kinship in with women who are normal women just like me whose bodies were changed by carrying and bearing a child.

    I'm not saying people have to be naked to prove a point. But the message that only the hot and perfect should ever expose themselves is pretty ridiculous.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    You would be ok if your daughter did this? I find that hard to believe. Then again maybe you are a horrible parent I don't know that much about you.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    No you dont youre probably right Im a horrible parent.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  22. #22
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    17,251

    Default

    Is BYU going to take back their degrees?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  23. #23
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,705

    Default

    It would seem there are a lot of ways to very effectively reclaim power over your body without resorting to nude photography. Talk about overkill.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  24. #24
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    32,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    I will bother with that response because that's the part that's ridiculous. If men were commonly judged by their penis size and/or commonly had self-confidence issues surrounding their penis size (and didn't have such a propensity to show them off anyway...), then I would actually see the value in a photo shoot, both as a statement to the world and an exercise for themselves in self-acceptance. Honestly, when I look at this gallery, there are a couple of "nice" bodies (no fantastic ones--to the photographer's credit), but I'm left with the impression that the human body is beautiful in all of its forms, akin to that when I look at the Venus de Milo/David/etc (on a smaller scale of course--I'm not comparing the two). I think it's a nice collection. You don't. Nothing wrong with difference in taste--I just wouldn't call it foolishness. I guess we can disagree there too, but how is it foolish? Is their participation in this really going to haunt them some day? I can't see how it would.
    Let's see. Debate a point that I explicitly said I did not make and then throw out something else I didn't say (a matter of taste regarding quality of photos) for good measure. I am not sure I dare answer your latest question.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  25. #25
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Keeping Portland Weird
    Posts
    4,306

    Default

    I think the nudity is misplaced. The proposed angst is against the values that the LDS Church teaches about bodies. Posing nude online is about the 23rd best way to reclaim positive body affirmation. The number one way to body affirmation is to exercise, and number two is what 50% of LDS women do, get some implants.

    To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.

    -Albert Einstien.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I think the nudity is misplaced. The proposed angst is against the values that the LDS Church teaches about bodies. Posing nude online is about the 23rd best way to reclaim positive body affirmation. The number one way to body affirmation is to exercise, and number two is what 50% of LDS women do, get some implants.
    The fuck?
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  27. #27
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    The fuck?
    That's number three

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    That's number three
    That made me laugh.
    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

  29. #29
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    32,218

    Default

    lol. Clack always delivers.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Let's see. Debate a point that I explicitly said I did not make and then throw out something else I didn't say (a matter of taste regarding quality of photos) for good measure. I am not sure I dare answer your latest question.
    You said you weren't arguing that, but that was exactly what I found ridiculous about the analogy. We can't discuss the effectiveness of a small-penis shoot because I can't conceive of a world where that's a problem. If the world were like that, then like I said, yeah, I think that kind of photo shoot (under a different name, of course) might be effective, but the premise is so far-fetched that the situation sounds absurd, so it's difficult/silly to even say.

    The taste question was just an assumption--I just assumed you didn't like it. If I'm wrong, fine--it's not germane to the point.

    What I originally objected to was calling it "foolish". I'm not seeing that. No one whose opinion these women care about are going to ever judge them for their participation in this project.

    Anyway--difference of opinion. I'll respect yours--I was just surprised by it. Others'? Not so much.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •