NY Times Article on Dissaffected Swedish Area Authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    is this a lesson on how God can still work through profoundly flawed people; and that the atonement is purifying even for the most vile of sinners
    I find great hope in my personal belief that God does indeed work through flawed people (some very flawed). I find the find the deification of religious leaders silly.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Should have been divining rod.
      I prefer diving rod.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        Trying to figure out if Falafel got the joke that I think Pelado made, or I'm not getting Pelado's joke...

Whatever it is, I might need to hit the history books again. A diving rod is a new one for me.
        I think he grasped the humor I intended. Your comment has me thinking I missed out on a better opportunity for laughs.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

OK. So I live a principled and moral life (which I believe I do and in many cases more than some card-carrying members) and I feel better about life and I don't have addictions to substances, and other vices. By extension I therefore have to believe that only baptized Mormons are going to the celestial kingdom and I must also believe in temple ceremonies and that JS restored polygamy, etc etc.
          Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead can't be admitted into the CK? why are they then baptized for the dead?

Even those who choose not to be baptized into the Church will be admitted if Christ judges them worthy. Only he can judge. Will you condemn them otherwise?

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Isn't Mr Bean in a phase that anyone goes through as they try to process the teenaged marriages and polyandry of JS?

I love being Mormon, but I condemn polygamy, polyandry, and most especially pedophilia. Until I have to support the three Ps to retain church privileges, I like where I'm at.
            So many Ps! (as long as we were talking about polygamy I wanted to pay homage to one of the best LDS message board posts ever).

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              So many Ps! (as long as we were talking about polygamy I wanted to pay homage to one of the best LDS message board posts ever).
              That post deserves its own holiday. I can’t hear the name Parley P. Pratt without whispering in my mind “so many Ps”!
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                SU

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  It's shocking to me people leave the LDS church for such reasons. It's like, "Well if he had not molested 14 year old girls I could have believed he translated the Book of Mormon from a gold book shown him by an angel."
                  Bump.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I would like to see more examples if 19th century marriages of men in their upper 30s to girls barely entering puberty. Thanks in advance for the examples of how common this was back then (not to mention multiple wives, some of which were already married to other men).
                    How about 20th century?... Have you seen that wonder woman movie?

Those liberals are into all kinds of kinky stuff... including polygamous relationships. God bless them. Maybe JS Jr was a democrat.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Mr. Bean: you should post more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        I'm not your bitch. Do your own work. Show me examples of NO 30 year old men in the 19th century marrying girls barely entering puberty.

I'll hold.
                        I beg to differ. I think your reaction says you are my bitch. In fact, I don't know who the El Jefe of CS is, but I petition to him or her to have the_tick's board name changed to "Bean's Bitch".

Thank you [emoji6]

By the way, I did some research and found basically nobody other than our own where relatively old men married 14 year olds AND they were polygamous marriages AND some of them were polyandrous so it seems to me we pretty much have that freaky weird market cornered.
                        Last edited by Mr Bean; 02-10-2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I beg to differ. I think your reaction says you are my bitch. In fact, I don't know who the El Jefe of CS is, but I petition to him or her to have the_tick's board name changed to "Bean's Bitch".

Thank you [emoji6]
                          Paypal me $1000 and it is done.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

By the way, I did some research and found basically nobody other than our own where relatively old men married 14 year olds AND they were polygamous marriages AND some of them were polyandrous so it seems to me we pretty much have that freaky weird market cornered.
                            It's like you didn't even try.

The women would cook on a traditional Afghan bukhar (open stove); the three nursing mothers were to have the best pickings. Osama’s 14-year-old daughter Khadija had recently given birth. Two years earlier, she had been married in a double wedding with her 12-year-old half-sister Fatima. Their husbands, two Saudi brothers in their 30s who both had wives and children already, were mujahideen fighters.
                            Check mate. Bitch.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              It's like you didn't even try.

Check mate. Bitch.
                              Lebowski, please change my board name to "Walter's Bitch".

Comment

Lebowski, please change my board name to "Walter's Bitch".
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X