NY Times Article on Dissaffected Swedish Area Authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone post a link to any church produced document (lesson manual, GA book, CES course, movie, video clip, online resource, etc.) that discusses Joseph's polygamy? I'm really just curious if one exists.
    The church manual Truth Restored implies that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy although it leaves out the details...

https://www.lds.org/manual/truth-res...rance?lang=eng
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
      The following is a line by line transcription of the letter by Joseph Smith to Newel K. Whitney, his wife and daughter, dated August 18th, 1842. They were to "burn this letter as soon as you read it," this instruction they did not keep.

LETTER BY JOSEPH SMITH TO NEWEL K. WHITNEY, HIS WIFE AND DAUGHTER.

PAGE ONE
      LINE TEXT
      1 Nauvoo, August 18th 1842
      2 Dear, and Beloved, Brother and
      3 Sister, Whitney, and & c.--
      4 I take this opportunity to communicate,
      5 Some of my feelings, privetely at
      6 this time, which I want you three
      7 Eternaly to keep in your own
      8 bosams; for my feelings are so
      9 Strong for you Since what has
      10 pased lately between us, that the
      11 time of my abscence from you
      12 Seems so long, and dreary, that
      13 it Seems, as if I could not live
      if you
      14 long in this way; and ^ Three would
      15 come and See me in this my lonely
      16 retreat, it would afford me great
      17 relief, of mind, if those with whom
      18 I am alied, do love me, now is the
      19 time to afford me succour; in the
      20 days of exile, for you know I
      21 foretold you of these things. I am
      22 now at Carlos Graingers, Just back
      23 of Brother Hyrums farm, it is only one
      24 mile from town, the nights are
      25 very pleasant, indeed, all three of
      can
      26 you come^ and See me in the
      27 fore part of the night, let Brother
      28 Whitney come a little a head, and
      29 nock at the south East corner of
      the
      30 the house att ^ window; it is next to
      31 the cornfield; I have a room inti-
      32 -rely by myself, the whole matter
      33 can be attended to with most perfect
      know
      34 Safty, I ^ it is the will of God that you
      me
      35 should comfort ^ now in this time
      36 of affliction, or not at all, now is the

PAGE TWO
      LINE TEXT
      1 time or never, but I hav no kneed of saying
      2 any such thing, to you, for I know the
      3 goodness of your hearts, and that you
      4 will do the will of the Lord, when it is
      5 made known to you; the only thing
      6 to be careful of, is to find out when
      7 Emma comes then you cannot be
      8 Safe, but when She is not here, there
      9 is the most perfect Safty: only be
      10 careful to escape observation, as
      11 much as possible, I know it is a
      12 heroick undertaking; but so much
      13 the greater friendship, and the more
      will
      14 Joy, when I see you I ^ tell you all
      15 my plans, I cannot write them on
      16 paper, burn this letter as soon as you
      17 read it; keep all locked up in
      18 your breasts, my life depends up-
      19 -on it. one thing I want to see you
      to
      20 for is ^ git the fulness of my blessing
      21 Sealed upon our heads, &c. you
      22 will pardon me for my ernest-
      this subject
      23 -ness on ^ when you consider how
      24 lonesome I must be, your good
      make
      25 feelings know how to ^ every allow
      26 -ance for me, I close my letter.
      27 I think Emma wont come tonight
      28 if she dont dont fail to come to
      29 night, I subscribe myself your
      and
      30 most obedient, ^ affectionate,
      31 Companion, and friend.
      32 Joseph Smith
      It's clear to me now that whoever wrote this letter also wrote the BoM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        It's clear to me now that whoever wrote this letter also wrote the BoM.
        That's what ran through my head while reading it. It was a heroick effort on his part.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          Yeah. I vaguely knew about polygamy but i believed it was because all of those helpless women lost their husbands in the Mormon battalion. I knew nothing of polyandry.
          I honestly thought polygamy started with Brigham Young and was about taking care of all those poor widows from Haun's Mill. I learned that Joseph Smith was a polygamist from a photo caption in an AP news story about the Nauvoo Temple in the fall of 2002. It was the exact moment my religious world started to implode.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            I already stated I believed they wanted additional information and I have no problem with that. My point of contention is how Mattsson portrayed himself in the article as some vastly experienced member who had served a mission and many years of leadership experience in the church and miraculously only became aware of this stuff very recently.

I served a mission to England just like he did. Brits were always throwing this kind of stuff in my face when I was on my pre-internet mission; but none of it was a surprise because I had already been exposed to this stuff years beforehand. Do I believe for a second he didn't encounter this stuff while tracting 40, 50 or more hours a week? Not bloody likely. I think either he's being disingenuous or Ms. Goodstein decided to paint him as being a little more oblivious than he really was.
            I haven't read all the Mattsson stuff closely. I think it's possible he was overstating his case on this stuff. But I generally take a huge exception with the idea you seem to be implying in the bolded area. As a youth, I think I was at least in the upper half in terms of awareness of these issues. I was active in the church my whole life, lived outside of Utah and in Utah, went to BYU, served a mission read a lot of church books, father was a BYU professor, etc. This was my awareness and assumptions on issues until relatively late in life (30'):

Joseph Smith polygamy: they were spiritual and none of them were sexual
            Joseph Smith treasure seeking: anti-Mormon lies conflating seeking out the gold plates with actual treasure seeking and made up after the fact
            First Vision account variation: anti-Mormon lies, nothing to it
            Masonry/temple endowment: both rooted in Solomon's temple, so this actually confirms the truthfulness
            BOM translation sketchiness: anti-Mormon lies, Joseph used the Urim and Thumim
            BoA sketchiness: anti-Mormon lies, the real scrolls used in translation were lost and anti-Mormons are trying to make it seem like we have the scrolls when we don't

I can go on and on. Yes, I knew about all these issues. Yes, I had been faced with them. But really I had no real understanding of any of them. Mormons, especially back then, were encouraged to only use sanctioned resources to study the issues, and none of them gave an honest treatment. So to accuse other Mormons they should have known about these issues is very, very unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
              I honestly thought polygamy started with Brigham Young and was about taking care of all those poor widows from Haun's Mill. I learned that Joseph Smith was a polygamist from a photo caption in an AP news story about the Nauvoo Temple in the fall of 2002. It was the exact moment my religious world started to implode.
              LOL. It didn't strike you as odd that Brother Brigham had over 50 wives and less than 20 people died at Haun's Mill?
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                LOL. It didn't strike you as odd that Brother Brigham had over 50 wives and less than 20 people died at Haun's Mill?
                Self delusion is a hell of a drug.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, can anyone post a link to any church produced document (lesson manual, GA book, CES course, movie, video clip, online resource, etc.) that discusses Joseph's polygamy? I'm really just curious if one exists.
                  Since the time I learned about JS' polygamy I've wondered why BY seems to get the rap for it. I started this thread awhile ago wondering if the cause was that it wasn't revealed to the body of the church until after their arrival and settlement in SLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    That's what ran through my head while reading it. It was a heroick effort on his part.
                    The BOM is rambling--just like the letter. Are you guys trying to imply that the BOM is written in good English or that it wasn't edited later?
                    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      Since the time I learned about JS' polygamy I've wondered why BY seems to get the rap for it. I started this thread awhile ago wondering if the cause was that it wasn't revealed to the body of the church until after their arrival and settlement in SLC.
                      That's an easy question to answer.

1. The existence BY's of polygamy was completely public

2. The church's polygamy as a whole was public

3. It went on for decades, whereas JS' polygamy was relatively brief and almost completely private.

Comment

The BOM is rambling--just like the letter. Are you guys trying to imply that the BOM is written in good English or that it wasn't edited later?
                        When I read the letter you copied and pasted, I can hear Moroni's voice boldly ringing in my head.

Comment

Random BOM passage:

1 And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of speaking to my brethren, behold they said unto me: Thou hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear.
                          2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken ahard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the bguilty taketh the ctruth to be hard, for it dcutteth them to the very center.
                          3 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might awalk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.
                          4 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did exhort my brethren, with all diligence, to keep the commandments of the Lord.
                          5 And it came to pass that they did ahumble themselves before the Lord; insomuch that I had joy and great hopes of them, that they would walk in the paths of righteousness.
                          6 Now, all these things were said and done as my father dwelt in a tent in the avalley which he called Lemuel.
                          7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, took one of the adaughters of Ishmael to bwife; and also, my brethren took of the cdaughters of Ishmael to wife; and also dZoram took the eldest daughter of Ishmael to wife.
                          8 And thus my father had fulfilled all the acommandments of the Lord which had been given unto him. And also, I, Nephi, had been blessed of the Lord exceedingly.
                          9 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord spake unto my father by night, and commanded him that on the morrow he should take his ajourney into the wilderness.
                          10 And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning, and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round aball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one bpointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness.
                          11 And it came to pass that we did gather together whatsoever things we should carry into the wilderness, and all the remainder of our provisions which the Lord had given unto us; and we did take aseed of every kind that we might carry into the wilderness.
                          12 And it came to pass that we did take our tents and depart into the wilderness, across the river Laman.
                          13 And it came to pass that we traveled for the space of four days, nearly a south-southeast direction, and we did pitch our tents again; and we did call the name of the place aShazer.
                          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

I shudder to think what Donuthole's reaction would have been had he first encountered the BoM in its original manuscript form.
                            Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                            --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                              I shudder to think what Donuthole's reaction would have been had he first encountered the BoM in its original manuscript form.
                              You missed a good opportunity there. Should have said "shutter to think". Come on, get with the program newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                You missed a good opportunity there. Should have said "shutter to think". Come on, get with the program newbie.
                                Or, "would of been." I better that would have gotten his spider sense tingling as well. Sometimes I wonder if he has written some kind of script that screens all CS posts and automatically pings him if some bad grammer comes up.
                                Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                                --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Working...
                                X