Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Flexbit users here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Way to go.

It's more a testament to how crappy my diet normally is. But the fitbit app was what I used to set my goal, track my caloric intake, and everything else. The weather has kept me from the exercising I've been wanting to get, so it's mostly dietary changes.

Maybe you didn't read it. The biggest and most thorough study shows that fitbit wearers actually do more poorly than non-fitbit wearers when it comes to weight loss. My theory is that they figure all that extra walking entitles them to a little more cheating on the diet.
    Without reading the studies its hard to say, but I suspect you're correct. Further, many of them likely count ALL of their walking as extra and not just activity in addition to their normal routine. I have one of those step counting apps on my phone and I stopped using it as it was ridiculous how much time it claimed I was walking everyday just moving around my office and house. It was wildly overstating my exercise.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Maybe you didn't read it. The biggest and most thorough study shows that fitbit wearers actually do more poorly than non-fitbit wearers when it comes to weight loss. My theory is that they figure all that extra walking entitles them to a little more cheating on the diet.
    I did read it and your guess about the actions of those who take 2,000 extra steps may actually be doing themselves a disservice because they justify eating additional calories and therefore not only erase the benefits of the positive behavior but they may end up even worse than had they not taken the extra 2,000 extra steps. However, the net negative isn't because someone is wearing a fitbit. The net negative comes from a lack of understanding related to calorie consumption and weight loss.

So I come back to, what is the author's point? Is he really making the argument that wearing a fitbit alone isn't going to help you lose weight? Is it that net calorie consumption matters more (if that is his point, then wouldn't a fitbit be a useful tool in tracking caloric burn?)? I just don't know what his point is here. For someone who wants to be more active and wants to track what they consume and burn in terms of calories, I just don't see why a fitbit would be bad. I don't count the countless women in my office who think that wearing a fitbit will allow them to continue to eat like cows and still lose weight amongst that group.

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I did read it and your guess about the actions of those who take 2,000 extra steps may actually be doing themselves a disservice because they justify eating additional calories and therefore not only erase the benefits of the positive behavior but they may end up even worse than had they not taken the extra 2,000 extra steps. However, the net negative isn't because someone is wearing a fitbit. The net negative comes from a lack of understanding related to calorie consumption and weight loss.

So I come back to, what is the author's point? Is he really making the argument that wearing a fitbit alone isn't going to help you lose weight? Is it that net calorie consumption matters more (if that is his point, then wouldn't a fitbit be a useful tool in tracking caloric burn?)? I just don't know what his point is here. For someone who wants to be more active and wants to track what they consume and burn in terms of calories, I just don't see why a fitbit would be bad. I don't count the countless women in my office who think that wearing a fitbit will allow them to continue to eat like cows and still lose weight amongst that group.

Seems like a really simple point to me. The extra exercise you get from having a fitbit does not translate into weight loss, and in fact may result in weight gain. I thought that was surprising/interesting. ymmv
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Seems like a really simple point to me. The extra exercise you get from having a fitbit does not translate into weight loss, and in fact may result in weight gain. I thought that was surprising/interesting. ymmv
    I am going to chalk it down to imprecise language on your part. Do you really think that if you control for all other factors that an increase in activity associated with wearing a fitbit would not lead to weight loss? Stated another way, if you burn more calories without consuming more calories, you don't think one would lose weight?

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I am going to chalk it down to imprecise language on your part. Do you really think that if you control for all other factors that an increase in activity associated with wearing a fitbit would not lead to weight loss? Stated another way, if you burn more calories without consuming more calories, you don't think one would lose weight?
    Sure. I lost 30 lbs last year. And kept it off. All without a fitbit!

I have nothing at all against fitbits. My kids enjoy them. If it works for you, that is great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I have nothing at all against fitbits. My kids enjoy them. If it works for you, that is great.
    Congrats! 30lbs is a lot. Best of luck on keeping it off. I agree with you as well on the, if it works for you and holds you accountable for both your activity level and your consumption, then good on ya.

Yeah, I always took you to be an Apple Watch type of guy. Good for you.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, I always took you to be an Apple Watch type of guy. Good for you.
    Ha. I am a gadget guy, but the Apple watch has never tempted me.

Now that deserves a

My original goal was 20 pounds, but after the first 10 came off so quickly, I might decide to up it to 30. Then maybe I'll be able to approach keeping up with PAC on the bike!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Now that deserves a

My original goal was 20 pounds, but after the first 10 came off so quickly, I might decide to up it to 30. Then maybe I'll be able to approach keeping up with PAC on the bike!
    Congratulations, you're already there! Sadly, my bike is in retirement. Hope to see you on a run or hike sometime in the future, though.

Now that deserves a

PAC isn't that fast. It's his wife you need to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Congratulations, you're already there! Sadly, my bike is in retirement. Hope to see you on a run or hike sometime in the future, though.
    What? Did I miss the announcement? Why is your bike retired?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I don't believe that we ever got a formal announcement, but I would guess it may have come at the suggestion of his maxillofacial surgeon. And his HSA.

I was tempted after my $7,000 bike ride a couple of years ago. But I am far too dumb to have actually hung up the bike shoes when I had the chance.

After the major accident last year, I'm in no hurry to get back in the saddle and it's very possible I'm done for good. I can't explain why I crashed, and I know my reaction time isn't what it once was. While with some accidents (including my 2004 biff) one can say "Okay, I'll be sure to avoid that in the future." This time, I can't say that, because I don't know what happened. The possibility of going through that again makes me shudder.

And yes, both surgeons nodded in strong agreement when I suggested I might never get back on the bike. It's easier to treat a guy who falls while running than one whose face hits the pavement at 25 mph.

Who knows? Maybe in a year or two I'll feel differently. Thankfully, the missus still does 3 x 50 mile rides a week with her younger pals (all female!). I'm running/hiking a lot and hitting the gym to try to keep up with her.

After the major accident last year, I'm in no hurry to get back in the saddle and it's very possible I'm done for good. I can't explain why I crashed, and I know my reaction time isn't what it once was. While with some accidents (including my 2004 biff) one can say "Okay, I'll be sure to avoid that in the future." This time, I can't say that, because I don't know what happened. The possibility of going through that again makes me shudder.

And yes, both surgeons nodded in strong agreement when I suggested I might never get back on the bike. It's easier to treat a guy who falls while running than one whose face hits the pavement at 25 mph.

Who knows? Maybe in a year or two I'll feel differently. Thankfully, the missus still does 3 x 50 mile rides a week with her younger pals (all female!). I'm running/hiking a lot and hitting the gym to try to keep up with her.
    That makes perfect sense and I can see why you would feel that way. Even so it makes me feel old and sad to hear it. I have had a foot problem for the last few months that has kept me largely off the bike and away from running or hiking or even much walking and it is killing me. I am not sure I could ever stop biking altogether though.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

That makes perfect sense and I can see why you would feel that way. Even so it makes me feel old and sad to hear it. I have had a foot problem for the last few months that has kept me largely off the bike and away from running or hiking or even much walking and it is killing me. I am not sure I could ever stop biking altogether though.
    It is sad, but I try not to dwell on it. I'm especially bummed because had the accident not occurred, next month the missus and I would be doing a bike tour of Cuba (I really wanted to see all the old cars, Havana, and the Russian missile site that kept 10-year-old me sleepless for a couple of nights in October 1962). I'll probably get on a beach cruiser at some point, and I refuse to say "never"; just not in the foreseeable future. Sorry to hear about your maladies and hope a full recovery is in the offing.

It is sad, but I try not to dwell on it. I'm especially bummed because had the accident not occurred, next month the missus and I would be doing a bike tour of Cuba (I really wanted to see all the old cars, Havana, and the Russian missile site that kept 10-year-old me sleepless for a couple of nights in October 1962). I'll probably get on a beach cruiser at some point, and I refuse to say "never"; just not in the foreseeable future. Sorry to hear about your maladies and hope a full recovery is in the offing.
    PAC I hope you'll will be able to ride again someday. I've gone down twice the last eight years and the wife has told me she can't take any more visits to the emergency room. I can tell my balance isn't as good as when I was younger so some of the changes I've made is I won't ride in a really strong wind (20+), I won't ride in a group in a medium wind because to many guys can't hold their place in an echelon and going fast down hill scares the hell out of me anymore so I'm very cautious on the way down. It's good to hear you are still being active.

PAC, move to Houston. There's no elevation and very few hills so I rarely get going faster than 25mph and usually am below 20 for 95% of the time since it's all flat country roads. The only thing that scares me are big trucks, but on Saturday mornings they are scarce. While I'd love some hills to climb, I also get nervous flying down them, thus why I like Houston where I just pound out mile after mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I've lost 10 pounds in the three weeks I've had mine.
    I ditched my fitbit. The interface with Strava wasn't working reliably through my phone. I've since gained 5 pounds. And I really don't think it has anything to do with the donuts and the ice cream.