Any Flexbit users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    After the major accident last year, I'm in no hurry to get back in the saddle and it's very possible I'm done for good. I can't explain why I crashed, and I know my reaction time isn't what it once was. While with some accidents (including my 2004 biff) one can say "Okay, I'll be sure to avoid that in the future." This time, I can't say that, because I don't know what happened. The possibility of going through that again makes me shudder.

And yes, both surgeons nodded in strong agreement when I suggested I might never get back on the bike. It's easier to treat a guy who falls while running than one whose face hits the pavement at 25 mph.

Who knows? Maybe in a year or two I'll feel differently. Thankfully, the missus still does 3 x 50 mile rides a week with her younger pals (all female!). I'm running/hiking a lot and hitting the gym to try to keep up with her.
    That makes perfect sense and I can see why you would feel that way. Even so it makes me feel old and sad to hear it. I have had a foot problem for the last few months that has kept me largely off the bike and away from running or hiking or even much walking and it is killing me. I am not sure I could ever stop biking altogether though.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      That makes perfect sense and I can see why you would feel that way. Even so it makes me feel old and sad to hear it. I have had a foot problem for the last few months that has kept me largely off the bike and away from running or hiking or even much walking and it is killing me. I am not sure I could ever stop biking altogether though.
      It is sad, but I try not to dwell on it. I'm especially bummed because had the accident not occurred, next month the missus and I would be doing a bike tour of Cuba (I really wanted to see all the old cars, Havana, and the Russian missile site that kept 10-year-old me sleepless for a couple of nights in October 1962). I'll probably get on a beach cruiser at some point, and I refuse to say "never"; just not in the foreseeable future. Sorry to hear about your maladies and hope a full recovery is in the offing.

Comment

It is sad, but I try not to dwell on it. I'm especially bummed because had the accident not occurred, next month the missus and I would be doing a bike tour of Cuba (I really wanted to see all the old cars, Havana, and the Russian missile site that kept 10-year-old me sleepless for a couple of nights in October 1962). I'll probably get on a beach cruiser at some point, and I refuse to say "never"; just not in the foreseeable future. Sorry to hear about your maladies and hope a full recovery is in the offing.
        PAC I hope you'll will be able to ride again someday. I've gone down twice the last eight years and the wife has told me she can't take any more visits to the emergency room. I can tell my balance isn't as good as when I was younger so some of the changes I've made is I won't ride in a really strong wind (20+), I won't ride in a group in a medium wind because to many guys can't hold their place in an echelon and going fast down hill scares the hell out of me anymore so I'm very cautious on the way down. It's good to hear you are still being active.

Comment

PAC, move to Houston. There's no elevation and very few hills so I rarely get going faster than 25mph and usually am below 20 for 95% of the time since it's all flat country roads. The only thing that scares me are big trucks, but on Saturday mornings they are scarce. While I'd love some hills to climb, I also get nervous flying down them, thus why I like Houston where I just pound out mile after mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            I've lost 10 pounds in the three weeks I've had mine.
            I ditched my fitbit. The interface with Strava wasn't working reliably through my phone. I've since gained 5 pounds. And I really don't think it has anything to do with the donuts and the ice cream.

Comment

Rather than start a separate thread, I'll ask my question here. Does anyone here wear an Oura Ring? I like the Apple watch fitness features, and the ring seems like a nice complement, providing better sleep tracking (I won't wear my watch when sleeping) and more heart data. It gets good reviews (e.g., the NYT). But I have yet to connect with anyone who actually has one. If you do, the floor is yours...

Comment

Rather than start a separate thread, I'll ask my question here. Does anyone here wear an Oura Ring? I like the Apple watch fitness features, and the ring seems like a nice complement, providing better sleep tracking (I won't wear my watch when sleeping) and more heart data. It gets good reviews (e.g., the NYT). But I have yet to connect with anyone who actually has one. If you do, the floor is yours...
                I would love to get rid of my watch again. Hope it turns out to be a good product.

Comment

Yes, I'm intrigued. I wear a fitbit, but I also wear a watch, so I have something on both wrists , which is somewhat annoying. I would love to switch to a ring, provided 1) it is waterproof; and 2) it wouldn't bother me to golf with it on (I have never worn a ring on my right hand, so I suppose I'd have to do a test run with a right-hand ring to see if that works for me) .
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

why do people wear fitbits? Is is accountability and tracking?

My 75 year old dad wears one, but I don't see the draw.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      why do people wear fitbits? Is is accountability and tracking?

My 75 year old dad wears one, but I don't see the draw.
                      I wear a fitbit because my employer has a healthy living program where I earn points that translate into gift cards. Initially, I liked the fitbit application as it gave me a general idea of calorie burn for walking and other physical activities. I would then compare calorie burn with calorie intake since I also got points for logging my meals. That information was helpful in getting a general idea of how many calories I was burning on a 3-mile walk, etc. More eye opening was the calories involved in some of the foods I was eating and really helped me to clean up my diet. I would think, do I really want to snack on some unhealthy foods once I understood how long I would need to walk to burn them off? Fitbit also motivated me to exercise daily because I was getting paid to do it.

Once I separate from my employer, I doubt I will wear a fitbit. It was useful for a time to get an understanding of calorie burn and how far I needed to walk to get 10,000 steps. i will still continue with daily exercise, just won't have to hassle with wearing a fitbit.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        I wear a fitbit because my employer has a healthy living program where I earn points that translate into gift cards. Initially, I liked the fitbit application as it gave me a general idea of calorie burn for walking and other physical activities. I would then compare calorie burn with calorie intake since I also got points for logging my meals. That information was helpful in getting a general idea of how many calories I was burning on a 3-mile walk, etc. More eye opening was the calories involved in some of the foods I was eating and really helped me to clean up my diet. I would think, do I really want to snack on some unhealthy foods once I understood how long I would need to walk to burn them off? Fitbit also motivated me to exercise daily because I was getting paid to do it.

Once I separate from my employer, I doubt I will wear a fitbit. It was useful for a time to get an understanding of calorie burn and how far I needed to walk to get 10,000 steps. i will still continue with daily exercise, just won't have to hassle with wearing a fitbit.
                        Thanks, that makes sense. I would also wear one for free stuff.

Comment

I like the sleep data more than anything else. Fascinates me. My friend is an NP who does clinic at a sleep center 4x a month. He says he has correlated his patients' Fitbit sleep data with some sleep studies he has done and it is quite accurate.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'm waiting for a chip I can get implanted.

Comment

Working...
                            X