Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On this day. June 6th, 1944: D-Day (Never Forgotten)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day. June 6th, 1944: D-Day (Never Forgotten)

On this day, I wish to say "Thank You" to those who lost their lives and those whoa re still alive.

Thank you.

In remembrance, I give you Omaha beach scene from SPR (Warning it is graphic. Scene begins at the 12 second mark):

http://www.army.mil/d-day/

My favorite memory of my mission to France was an investigator who invited a few of us over on the D day anniversary and gave us a tearful thank you and celebration for their liberation. Was really touching.

Comment

One of the three other threads dedicated specifically to this topic was started by you, btw:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread.php?45210-D-Day

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...Day-from-Obama

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ns-Close-To-Us
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

A day at Normandy, including Utah and Omaha Beaches, Pointe du Hoc, the American cemetery, St. Mere Eglise, Pegasus Bridge, and a few other sites should be on everyone's bucket list.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Keep fighting the good fight, DH.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I did a search for D-Day and got nothing (What am I doing wrong in my search?).

However, I would say mine is not relevant since it is mainly about my disdain for Obama not having any memorial on that day..

Besides.. I am trying to up my ranking..

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
              I did a search for D-Day and got nothing (What am I doing wrong in my search?).

However, I would say mine is not relevant since it is mainly about my disdain for Obama not having any memorial on that day..

Besides.. I am trying to up my ranking..
              Try putting your search query (in this case "D-Day") in quotations and make sure to mark "search titles only" in the adjacent drop-down menu.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Try putting your search query (in this case "D-Day") in quotations and make sure to mark "search titles only" in the adjacent drop-down menu.
                Boom. That was it. I will no longer do a general search but use the "Advanced Search". Thanks. That was helpful

Comment

This is worth watching:

http://bcove.me/msfc2e1d
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I've been to the beaches and surrounding area. It is worth the trip and then some. Prior to going, MJ and I watched SPR and BoB. Standing on those beaches and looking up at the cliffs all while visualizing what took place there was one of the most sobering moments of my life. There was little doubt we'd take those beaches that day, if by sheer numbers, but I'm glad non of my ancestors had to be in the first couple waves that hit Omaha beach. God bless the heroes that were in those first couple waves.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

We arrived at London yesterday and headed to Dover, stopping at Chartwell (nice, given the date), Hever Castle and Scotney Castle. By a lucky coincidence, last evening Scotney was in the flight path of dozens of C-47 (DC-3) transport planes with WWII insignia), carrying paratroopers for a 75th Anniversary re-enactment of the drop into Normandy the night before the D-day landings. I may post a pic later but the most we could get in any one shot was three aircraft. As I was watching, the theme song from The Longest Day automatically popped into my head. was an awesome sight and rather emotional.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        We arrived at London yesterday and headed to Dover, stopping at Chartwell (nice, given the date), Hever Castle and Scotney Castle. By a lucky coincidence, last evening Scotney was in the flight path of dozens of C-47 (DC-3) transport planes with WWII insignia), carrying paratroopers for a 75th Anniversary re-enactment of the drop into Normandy the night before the D-day landings. I may post a pic later but the most we could get in any one shot was three aircraft. As I was watching, the theme song from The Longest Day automatically popped into my head. was an awesome sight and rather emotional.
                        Very cool PAC. I wish I were over there today to see the re-enactments and festivities. We were there in March and got a couple good shots

Batteries qt longues sur mer

Inside the chapel at Saint mere eglise

American cemetery at vierville sur mer

Brécourt manor (easy company disabled the four howitzer guns)

The war was pretty much won before the invasion on D Day, but the question was how the Germans would surrender. D Day made sure that surrender was unconditional and that Hitler has gone.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Very cool.

Comment

Great pics!

For those who haven't been there, the Normandy Beaches are well worth the visit. The AMC at Colleville is one of the most spiritual places I've ever been to. When I was in Normandy, I didn't have to time to visit the British Beaches or the museum in Caen

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                            X