Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    It doesn't seem that far fetched that hackers could gain control of your car now and shut down some systems, causing a crash.
    They can and our tax dollars funded the research!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-your-vehicle/

We can have self-driving cars, onboard compute systems with wifi, satellite and bluetooth. Or we can have security. It's pretty clear we can't have the former with the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      Or an airplane.
      A computer security expert hacked into a plane's in-flight entertainment system and made it briefly fly sideways by telling one of the engines to go into climb mode.
      So the in-flight entertainment system is connected to the plane's flight control system? That seems like a smart design.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        They can and our tax dollars funded the research!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-your-vehicle/

We can have self-driving cars, onboard compute systems with wifi, satellite and bluetooth. Or we can have security. It's pretty clear we can't have the former with the latter.
        We can have both. We just need better computers... http://breakingdefense.com/2012/12/d...-better-secur/

Our tax dollars are also funding this too!
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          We can have both. We just need better computers... http://breakingdefense.com/2012/12/d...-better-secur/

Our tax dollars are also funding this too!
          I'm glad our tax dollars are funding this research, but it sure would be nice if DARPA had some competent contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            This creeps me out, but then I realized that lots of cars have wifi connections now. It doesn't seem that far fetched that hackers could gain control of your car now and shut down some systems, causing a crash.
            Or an airplane.
            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            So the in-flight entertainment system is connected to the plane's flight control system? That seems like a smart design.
            A computer security expert hacked into a plane's in-flight entertainment system and made it briefly fly sideways by telling one of the engines to go into climb mode.
            Has anyone taken one of these new Southwest flights with an empty cockpit, e.g. no pilots? Seems really promising. Can't wait for full adoption.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Has anyone taken one of these new Southwest flights with an empty cockpit, e.g. no pilots? Seems really promising. Can't wait for full adoption.
              As long as it makes my trip to utah or Vegas $150 cheaper i love it

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I like having unmanned cockpits on those new Southwest MAX 8's... The idea of having an all-female crew is hot!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

pssst robots are already flying our planes
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    Yeah, is this news?

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      So that whole Scully thing was a hoax? Like the moon landings?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        So that whole Scully thing was a hoax? Like the moon landings?
                        Scully IS the robot.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. Las Vegas' self-driving bus crashes in first hour of service - Engadget
                          https://apple.news/ASzlpGB3BR22wJbVj...R22wJbVja3B1Rw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            So that whole Scully thing was a hoax?
                            People (en masse) won't ever fly in a airplane without a pilot for that precise reason... shit happens. Air traffic is about as closed a system as you can find, but still there is an amount of unpredictability that requires immediate human intervention. Yet, here (and elsewhere) you stumble across these rosy (and completely idiotic) predictions of eliminating the automobile driver in the complex, dynamic, and erratic public transportation system that includes motorized, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic.

You have probably already heard the classic example of a shopping cart full of groceries versus the baby stroller with a child in it. If the self-driving car is in a no-win situation where it will hit one or the other, then how will the program know which is the right thing to hit? That situation (and countless others) like the Sully example you specified, is more than enough reason to give anyone pause occupying the same roadway with autonomous vehicles (as a driver, a cyclist, or a pedestrian).
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. Las Vegas' self-driving bus crashes in first hour of service - Engadget
                              https://apple.news/ASzlpGB3BR22wJbVj...R22wJbVja3B1Rw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              That's funny. Looks like it was the truck driver's fault but any human driving the shuttle would have avoided hte accident by moving out of the way or honking the horn.

I know people think the majority of cars will be self-driving in less than 5 years, but I'm skeptical.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

People (en masse) won't ever fly in a airplane without a pilot for that precise reason... shit happens. Air traffic is about as closed a system as you can find, but still there is an amount of unpredictability that requires immediate human intervention. Yet, here (and elsewhere) you stumble across these rosy (and completely idiotic) predictions of eliminating the automobile driver in the complex, dynamic, and erratic public transportation system that includes motorized, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic.

You have probably already heard the classic example of a shopping cart full of groceries versus the baby stroller with a child in it. If the self-driving car is in a no-win situation where it will hit one or the other, then how will the program know which is the right thing to hit? That situation (and countless others) like the Sully example you specified, is more than enough reason to give anyone pause occupying the same roadway with autonomous vehicles (as a driver, a cyclist, or a pedestrian).
                                I've said this before, but I'll repeat that I don't think self-driving cars will exist on the roads as they are today. I think a certain protocol has to be invented and implemented on the roadways to allow for it. I'm not saying it'll be like a train on a set of rails, but lane markings, intersections, construction, etc. will all have to have some conformity on how they are marked and cars will be programmed to read that marking. You also have issues with heavy rainfall or snow that will make it difficult as well. There are a lot of places in Houston that don't even have paint markers for lanes and they rely on small reflectors that aren't currently picked up by current lane sensing cameras.

Autonomous cars are coming but I doubt when they get here they look anything like the current Tesla or Google vehicles.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X