Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    Without an oven that gets to at least 700 degrees, homemade pizza is very mediocre. If you have the right oven though homemade pizza is so much better than most pizza restaurants and every pizza chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would love to have your insights in this thread: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...new-pizza-oven

Do you have an oven?

Comment

• Some vindication for Walter and me. Hat tip to SU for the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...q4kuhnVH4l8wjY

Despite High Hopes, Self-Driving Cars Are ‘Way in the Future’
      Ford and other companies say the industry overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles, which still struggle to anticipate what other drivers and pedestrians will do.

A year ago, Detroit and Silicon Valley had visions of putting thousands of self-driving taxis on the road in 2019, ushering in an age of driverless cars.

Most of those cars have yet to arrive — and it is likely to be years before they do. Several carmakers and technology companies have concluded that making autonomous vehicles is going to be harder, slower and costlier than they thought.

“We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Hackett, said at the Detroit Economic Club in April.
      Swish.
      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-22-2019, 08:57 AM.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Some vindication for Walter and me. Hat tip to SU for the link.

Swish.

Maybe I can make it to retirement without changing careers after all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Some vindication for Walter and me. Hat tip to SU for the link.

Swish.
          Does Walter still claim that self driving cars will absolutely never happen? That's what I've been arguing against. I think there will be a quick tipping point sometime in the future where there will be relatively quick adoption. But, several of us on here have been saying that self driving cars are decades away, not years.

Comment

• Meet your new Uber driver... a rat:

Scientists have trained rats to drive tiny cars to collect food

Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car, suggesting that their brains are more flexible than we thought. The finding could be used to understand how learning new skills relieves stress and how neurological and psychiatric conditions affect mental capabilities.

We know that rodents can learn to recognise objects, press bars and find their way around mazes. These tests are often used to study how brain conditions affect cognitive function, but they only capture a narrow window of animal cognition, says Kelly Lambert at the University of Richmond in Virginia.

Lambert and her colleagues wondered if rats could learn the more sophisticated task of operating a moving vehicle.

They constructed a tiny car out of a clear plastic food container on wheels, with an aluminium floor and three copper bars functioning as a steering wheel. When a rat stood on the aluminium floor and gripped the copper bars with their paws, they completed an electrical circuit that propelled the car forward. Touching the left, centre or right bar steered the car in different directions.
            [...]
            https://www.newscientist.com/article...-collect-food/
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Meet your new Uber driver... a rat:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-collect-food/
              That's how I collect food, too.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                That's how I collect food, too.
                You drive a tiny car?

jeremy_clarkson_testing_peel_p50.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  You drive a tiny car?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9811[/ATTACH]
                  If it will get me more food, absolutely.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Self-driving car company Nuro wins federal safety approval for grocery delivery robot
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Just drove a Tesla X. Pretty sweet. It’s the fastest car I’ve driven. I didn’t get a chance to try the auto drive feature, but the owner loves it driving in and around Seattle. She says it takes a bit to get used to the feature, but it is customizable depending on your comfort level. She just keeps her hand on the wheel and it does it’s thing. I am now officially interested.

Carry on with the broader discussion about fully autonomous vehicles.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Just drove a Tesla X. Pretty sweet. It’s the fastest car I’ve driven. I didn’t get a chance to try the auto drive feature, but the owner loves it driving in and around Seattle. She says it takes a bit to get used to the feature, but it is customizable depending on your comfort level. She just keeps her hand on the wheel and it does it’s thing. I am now officially interested.

Carry on with the broader discussion about fully autonomous vehicles.
                        I hear you can just wedge an orange into the steering wheel and you no longer have to keep your hand on the wheel:

Then you can just jump into the back seat and take a nap!
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I hear you can just wedge an orange into the steering wheel and you no longer have to keep your hand on the wheel:

Then you can just jump into the back seat and take a nap!
                          Nice!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Pretty good article on the current state of self driving cars:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...mo-cruise-uber

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              Pretty good article on the current state of self driving cars:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...mo-cruise-uber
                              Yep.

March 18, 2018, was the first time a self-driving car ran down a pedestrian. An Uber car with a safety driver behind the wheel hit and killed Elaine Herzberg, a 49-year-old woman walking her bicycle across the street in Tempe, Arizona.

The incident was a reminder that self-driving car technology still had a long way to go. Some people were quick to point out that humans frequently kill other humans while driving, and that even if self-driving cars are much safer than humans, there will be some fatal incidents with self-driving cars. That’s true as far as it goes. But it misses a key point. Human driving produces one fatal accident in every 100 million miles driven. Waymo, the leader in miles driven, just reached 20 million miles driven. It hasn’t had a fatal accident yet, but given the number of miles its cars have driven, it’s simply far too soon to prove that they’re as safe as or safer than a human driver.

Uber hasn’t driven nearly as many miles and has had a fatal incident.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I wish Tesla's software were smart enough to move the car over to the right lane where it belongs.
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Working...
                                X